Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Crank Bros Hand Pump  (Read 3699 times)

Offline 4x4TampaTaco

• Clipless Mountain Goat
Crank Bros Hand Pump
« on: August 08, 2009, 10:59:35 PM »
Just bought a crank bros air pump that has a gauge on it. Tried it... it works... very slow. I can't seem to get it much over 20psi. Is this normal? I gave up and hit it with the 10gal 5hp air comp :)

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas....and a new plastic Titus....
Re: Crank Bros Hand Pump
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2009, 11:15:26 PM »
Just bought a crank bros air pump that has a gauge on it. Tried it... it works... very slow. I can't seem to get it much over 20psi. Is this normal? I gave up and hit it with the 10gal 5hp air comp :)

yeah it is normal, most hand pumps suck, get a c02 inflater, and the first time you use it on the trail in 90 heat with mosquitos all around you will reakize how much this makes sense, and you will thank me

Offline ProEdgeBiker .

• SUPPORTING OUR TRAILS By DONATING $30/yr for a SWAMP FAMILY MEMBERSHIP!
  • SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • *SPECIALIZED & SCOTT* My SWEATSHOP BOUTIQUES!
    • PROEDGEBIKER.COM
  • Favorite Trail: BOYETTE/P-TRAIL
  • My Bike: 650b SPECIALIZED EPIC & SCOTT FOIL 15
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2009, 12:27:37 AM »

Here you go, buy this: http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/PU501D01-Blackburn+Airshot+Co2+Pump.aspx?sc=FRGL
do not buy the screw on CO2 head & cartridges, go to Walmart and buy a case of CO2 refils for $17-$19(cant remember) if i'm not mistaken. if the crossman cartridges are too short, throw a piece of an eraser at the bottom of the mini pump.

Better Yet.. Damn I love the internet! this is what i buy @ Walmart for my CO2 Pump for $17-$19, found it for $14.95:
http://www.amazon.com/Crosman-Guns-2311-25CT-Powerlet/dp/B000GUW1SI/ref=pd_sbs_sg_4

but i just found this at a much better price for my next purchase..10pk $4.95:
http://www.discountpaintball.com/12-Gram-Co2-Cartridge-10-Pack_p_564.html
« Last Edit: August 09, 2009, 12:43:47 AM by ProEdgeBiker »

Offline 4x4TampaTaco

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2009, 11:11:47 AM »
10-4 guys. I can see myself using this hand pump on the trail... getting it to about 20psi and calling a day. I'll be moving into the Co2 system. More money. jeez.

Offline ProEdgeBiker .

• SUPPORTING OUR TRAILS By DONATING $30/yr for a SWAMP FAMILY MEMBERSHIP!
  • SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • *SPECIALIZED & SCOTT* My SWEATSHOP BOUTIQUES!
    • PROEDGEBIKER.COM
  • Favorite Trail: BOYETTE/P-TRAIL
  • My Bike: 650b SPECIALIZED EPIC & SCOTT FOIL 15
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2009, 02:06:43 PM »
10-4 guys. I can see myself using this hand pump on the trail... getting it to about 20psi and calling a day. I'll be moving into the Co2 system. More money. jeez.

Welcome to MTBing!

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2009, 02:22:36 PM »
I helped a guy today on the trail who had flatted out. He had one of those little pumps.....he was in awe of the ease and speed that we were done getting him back up and rolling.

Offline Darrinw2001

• At least this is a Healthy Obsession, right?
  • Yellow Jersey
  • aka "The OGRE" - Elite Epic Gonzo Soul Rider
  • My Bike: 2012 Salsa EL Mariachi Steel 29er and 2012 Salsa HorseThief
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2009, 03:00:28 PM »
ordered more co2 from that website proedge posted... i havent had a flat in a while and I know I am due for one or two...

Offline Alan

• Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Monolog, Bruce LeeRoy, Gnarvester of SSorrow
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2009, 03:21:48 PM »
I have the Crank Bros power pump alloy (the slightly longer pump) in my pack.  Works great.  Keep it on high volume until about 25psi, then switch it over to high pressure.  I keep it as a back up to my CO2 on for longer solo rides.  Plus I like to have an idea on how much pressure I am running after I fix my flat. 

Offline 4x4TampaTaco

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2009, 05:31:36 PM »
10-4.  After 25psi it gets real hard and you do have to switch to high press. Looks like I'll carry both the CO2 and crank bros. 

Offline StonePony

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2009, 02:37:09 PM »
I helped a guy today on the trail who had flatted out. He had one of those little pumps.....he was in awe of the ease and speed that we were done getting him back up and rolling.
Not to mention the awe you guys displayed at the condensation forming on the outside of the co2 cylinder.   :)

I would just throw out here, that you may also want to keep one of the hand pumps in your camelbak (or buy a combo unit) just in case.  If you're riding a walkable distance to the car, not a big deal, but if you're ever out at Croom or some other desolate location, where you could be walking for hours and dehydrate along the way, and then of course keel over and drop dead, then I'd keep a hand pump (they make really light ones) with you as well.

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2009, 02:38:45 PM »
Not to mention the awe you guys displayed at the condensation forming on the outside of the co2 cylinder.   :)

I would just throw out here, that you may also want to keep one of the hand pumps in your camelbak (or buy a combo unit) just in case.  If you're riding a walkable distance to the car, not a big deal, but if you're ever out at Croom or some other desolate location, where you could be walking for hours and dehydrate along the way, and then of course keel over and drop dead, then I'd keep a hand pump (they make really light ones) with you as well.

Dropping dead is bad..... :(

Offline StonePony

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2009, 02:45:21 PM »
Dropping dead is bad..... :(
It sure is, which is the point!  I've flatted twice in the same ride a couple of times here in FL, and once was at Croom where I was down to the last 20% of my water supply, it was 98 degrees (kind of like yesterday), and I was way back near Sugar Mtn.  Fortunately I had a full patch kit.  If there is any kind of malfunction with the co2 unit, or if I've already used 1 or 2 (or given one away like you did), I'd like at least to be able to pump up the tire enough to roll out.

Offline 4x4TampaTaco

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2009, 03:18:44 PM »
I think we've brought up 2 good points. 1- riding by yourself is not a good idea, always ride with 2+ people. 2- carry a hand pump and CO2 system.

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2009, 03:33:18 PM »
I think we've brought up 2 good points. 1- riding by yourself is not a good idea, always ride with 2+ people. 2- carry a hand pump and CO2 system.

keep a cell phone and your insurance card with you too......maybe some i.d. as well.

Online BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Intense Uzzi VPX w/ 'Slacker' dropouts
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2009, 03:37:33 PM »
I carry both, but need to get some more CO2 as I am out right now.
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Advertisement: