Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Newcomer  (Read 4826 times)

Offline Slapshot93

• First Bike
Newcomer
« on: August 11, 2009, 11:23:41 PM »
            So these past few months ive been getting into mountain biking and am loving it, i invite my brothers and girlfriend and they say its too much for them but i keep it up anyway. My question for the more experienced is im wondering if my bike is fitting the profile and what key parts of my bike i might need to bump on to make for a better ride. Im riding an 09 Raleigh mohave 4.0 and have put a prowler XT tire on the back so i have more grips on the climbs but thats about it. If yall got any pointers for me itd be appreciated cuz i cant wait to have the most fun out there!

Offline Alan

• Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Monolog, Bruce LeeRoy, Gnarvester of SSorrow
Re: Newcomer
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2009, 08:10:23 AM »
"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

If you are not having any specific issues, I say just get out and enjoy the ride. Changing something out just for the sake of change may only leave you with a lighter wallet and buyer's remorse.

As you gain more experience you may want to look into budget light weight goodies or a proper bike fitting.

Offline Triple T

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • Balloon Knot Cycling
  • My Bike: Likes to pose in the parking lot.
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2009, 08:22:34 AM »
budget light weight goodies

I must be buying the wrong kind of light weight goodies.  They're definitely not "budget".   :D
Ibis Mojo SL-23.81 lbs.
Ibis Tranny-20.75 lbs.

Offline mmountainbiker

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Favorite Trail: Boyette
  • My Bike: 2012 Trek EX 9.7 OCLV Mountain XTR/XT- RLC-FIT/Evol re:aktiv factory
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2009, 08:25:10 AM »
clipless pedels with shoes, a camelbak, and padded shorts are essentials for a safe ,comfortable and controled ride.

Offline KRUNNCHERO

• Frankenbike builder!
  • Forum Moderator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Smite master!
    • Raymond James Financial Services
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2009, 08:29:52 AM »
clipless pedels with shoes, a camelbak, and padded shorts are essentials for a safe ,comfortable and controled ride.

Clipless pedals and safety in the same sentence are not what I pictured as safe, comfortable essentials. Just by 2.5 cents...
We continuously seek feedback from you as to how we can improve our policies and procedures since our primary goal is to act in partnership with you. If you have any questions or need to report any problems on the SWAMP forum, please send me a PM and I will get back with you ASAP.

Offline mmountainbiker

• Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2009, 08:33:16 AM »

Clipless pedals and safety in the same sentence are not what I pictured as safe, comfortable essentials. Just by 2.5 cents...
Padded shorts=comfortable      camelbak = safty    clipless pedels= control

Offline catman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: 2016 Scott Genius 740
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2009, 09:12:51 AM »
+1 on the shorts and camelbak. Screw clipless pedals, they are a fad. ;D

Ride that bike until you're sure you love this sport and then upgrade the whole thing and keep it as a back up or spare for when you meet someone who also has the fever but no money for a bike.
Part time mountain biker, full time roadie smiter.

Offline mmountainbiker

• Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2009, 09:21:03 AM »
+1 on the shorts and camelbak. Screw clipless pedals, they are a fad. ;D

Ride that bike until you're sure you love this sport and then upgrade the whole thing and keep it as a back up or spare for when you meet someone who also has the fever but no money for a bike.
Exellent advice .

Offline Slapshot93

• First Bike
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2009, 12:09:54 AM »
Hey thanks for all the info! i already had a camel back but hadnt thought to buy padded pants. Even though after last week running into a root and it scraping the hair off my shin! But hey thanks again for all the advice and happy riding!

Offline catman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2009, 07:46:45 AM »
Buy some Fox Mid Rangers. They're like $64.99 and sometimes you can find them online for $40 (08 model). I can't speak for the 09 models but they look about the same just fancy.

Offline ProEdgeBiker .

• SUPPORTING OUR TRAILS By DONATING $30/yr for a SWAMP FAMILY MEMBERSHIP!
  • SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • *SPECIALIZED & SCOTT* My SWEATSHOP BOUTIQUES!
    • PROEDGEBIKER.COM
  • Favorite Trail: BOYETTE/P-TRAIL
  • My Bike: 650b SPECIALIZED EPIC & SCOTT FOIL 15
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2009, 08:11:10 AM »
Buy some Fox Mid Rangers. They're like $64.99 and sometimes you can find them online for $40 (08 model). I can't speak for the 09 models but they look about the same just fancy.

this will be his worst purchase.. The Mid Rangers unfortunatelly have a padding that will leave you sore after each ride and wissing you spent the extra $20. It's sad because about 3yrs ago they were my favorite shorts(Padding was much better). i have 2 pairs of Fox's High Frequency which were $89.99 and i'm pretty unhappy also, the pad is not lasting as i thought it would for a high doolla short.

I think i'm going to go with Pearl Izumi.. WOW! what a nice pad it had, they were $85+ but i'm sure it's worth every last cent..

Offline Alan

• Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Monolog, Bruce LeeRoy, Gnarvester of SSorrow
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2009, 08:26:19 AM »
I agree. My midrangers are good for about 10 or so miles before the padding feel nonexistant. Unfortunately it seems you have to go lycra to get a really nice pad....I am not ready to take that step.  Anyone know of any baggy shorts with high quality padding for long/epic rides?

Offline catman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2009, 08:28:50 AM »
Well, I run a double layer (motocross underwear under my mid rangers) but haven't heard any complaints about the mid rangers until now. I wouldn't say they are ideal but I'm pretty happy with them cause they are not too long and seem light weight. Getting overstocked 08 models for $40 shipped is what initially got me interested.

They're was no way I could justify just under $100 (with tax) for bike shorts. I bought three pairs for just over what one of the high frequency went for and now I don't have to wash as often.

Offline catman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2009, 08:32:21 AM »
All this talk about butt padding.................this will turn into a FE style thread in no time.

Offline drb81

• Cycling Sherpa
  • My Bike: is slow
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2009, 07:09:29 PM »
if you want to wear baggies. buy a pair of inexpensive baggy shorts and cut the cheap * liner out of them. Then go buy a nice pair of spandex shorts to wear underneath. I bought the top of the line pearl shorts a few months ago and love them. I used the buy $50 price range shorts and they would not last very long or be uncomfortable. I rode the tour de felasco with the pearls and felt better afterwards then than I had after a 10 mile at alafia with cheap shorts.

lycra seems to be you get what you pay for.
[/don]

Advertisement: