Author Topic: Croom 50 trail route  (Read 1444 times)

Offline Dan-o

• Cycling Sherpa
  • My Bike: NINER EMD 1X9
Croom 50 trail route
« on: August 12, 2009, 03:30:19 PM »
I am planning on my first self supported solo 50 miler this fall and was wondering if anyone had the route from last years 50. Gonna get in this endurance game.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2009, 08:48:31 PM by Kevan »
wherever you go.....there you are.
Just a big Hooper!

Offline Dan-o

• Cycling Sherpa
Re: Croom 50 trail route
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2009, 04:40:35 PM »
Much to my dismay I see the day I selected to ride 50 at Croom is the same date as the Crumbler/Crusher event.Does anyone know if the trails are open or if it will be too crowded to even ride on this date? I dont want to be in the middle of a race when Im out touring.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2009, 08:48:45 PM by Kevan »
Just a big Hooper!

Offline Paintboy

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Cycling Sherpa
  • Dudes Ride club
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2009, 09:53:17 PM »
 Dan O
Croom is not closed for you on sat .. Start at tucker hill take the yellow trail to the red connector to blue stay on blue till you end up at croom . Cross croom rdhead north on blue past drunken monkey past the 8 mile bailout still heading north pass the 12 mile bailout staying on blue you  will start to head west thru the pit area then you will start to head south you will hit sugar mountain and then look for the red connector to the yellow trail now take yellow back to tucker hill that should get close to the miles you are looking for.good luck I will be out there all day sat riding in the morning then i'll be the sweeper for the bike part of the croom crusher. See you out there

Bill

Offline Scott

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2009, 10:08:55 PM »
Do it DanOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :)

Offline Rockhopper

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2009, 10:10:30 PM »
As best I can remember it:1. Start at parking area 3 (Tucker Hill). Begin riding the yellow trail on the SOUTH side of the road. (The one near where you pay to park)
2. At the first junction with the red trail stay RIGHT on the red trail. A few minutes later you will ride through the reddish clay pit area.
3. Stay on red all the way to junction with the blue trail. Stay right on the blue trail. Ride the blue trail all the way to the road. At the road, you will have gone about 10-12 miles.
4. Cross the road and find the blue trail again. Ride the blue trail past the 8-mile bail out and into the pits area. Once in the pits area, there are several options. During the Croom 50, there are EASY and HARD options. The EASY options shorten the route a little.
5. Keep riding to the 12 mile bailout. At that point you have gone about 22-23 miles from the start.
6. Keep riding on the blue trail. At the Sugar Mountain option, turn right. You will eventually climb to the top of Sugar Mountain, which isn't really a mountain, but you will know when you're there. At this point, you've gone about 25 miles.
7. Ride down Sugar Mountain and turn right when you get back to the trail intersection. Stay on the blue trail.
8. A few miles later, at the connector to the yellow trail, stay left, continuing on the blue trail. (DON'T take the connector) Ride the blue trail all the way to the Red trail. Before you get there, you will see the road on your right. (Don't take the first bailout you come to) Make sure you keep riding to the intersection of the Red rail.  At the Red trail, turn RIGHT and ride a couple hundred yards to the road. (You don't take the Red trail. Just ride out to the road.)
9. Cross the road and you should immediately pick up the Blue trail again.
10.Ride the Blue trail all the way to the red trail intersection. You might notice that you've been by there before but in the opposite direction. When you get to the intersection, turn right onto the Red trail. This is the only part of the trail that you ride twice, though you are now going in the opposite direction.
11. Ride the Red trail to the first bail out. Turn right at the bail out and ride a few hundred yards to the road.
12. At the road, turn left and ride on the road about a half mile to the start of the Yellow trail on your RIGHT. (At this point you have gone about 40 miles)
13. Turn right off the road and onto the Yellow trail. Ride the yellow trail counterclockwise all the way back to Parking Lot #3. Do NOT take the Green bailout trail. You know you are close to the end when you have to climb a hill the switch backs a couple of times.
I hope that helps. All the mileages are approximates. I might be off by a mile or two. I'm doing this from memory.  I think I'm close to getting it right.

Offline Dan-o

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2009, 07:07:19 AM »
THANKS for the trail routes. Im looking to go on Sunday and I believethis is the day of the event. Will there be issues on Sunday?
Just a big Hooper!

Offline Dan-o

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2009, 07:25:30 AM »
never mind - Event is on Saturday - Planned ride on Sunday ::)
Just a big Hooper!

Offline Harvey

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2009, 09:04:20 AM »
Start at Tucker Hill, head south on yellow.
Turn right at intersection with red trail (east on south red).
South red to intersection with blue, veer right on blue.
Stay on blue, crossing Croom road, doing the entire north blue.
Cross Croom Road again on blue. You're now on the south blue.
Take south red trail at intersection (you were here earlier). You're now heading west on south red.
In about 2 miles after pits on south red, turn right on green bailout that takes you to Croom Road.
Go left (west) on Croom Road for about 3/4 mile, then go right on the north yellow.
Take the north yellow back to Tucker Hill. You've earned your 50 miles if you take all the hard options and no shortcuts.

Offline mksandoz

• Forum Moderator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • roadie
    • my riding blog
  • My Bike: Cannondale F500 1x7 w/ Slicks
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2009, 09:09:13 AM »
Dan-o

If you still wanna do a 50 without interruption you can go up to Santos and do the 'Epic' route, plus some extra trails on the Santos side or some limestone road out past the end of the singletrack.

Map: http://www.omba.org/images/stories/Maps/spider2b-epic.gif

I recommend it :)

I haven't been out past Nayls in a while but I heard they were building new trails - anyone know if they are open? I thought they rode them as part of the Santos FTF weekend...which was months ago.

Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades - Eddy Merckx

Offline Dan-o

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2009, 09:50:05 AM »
Thanks MK - rode the epic a few weeks back with Scott, Gregg and others. even threwin some JB and Vortex. It was a great ride!
Just a big Hooper!

Offline mksandoz

• Forum Moderator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • roadie
    • my riding blog
  • My Bike: Cannondale F500 1x7 w/ Slicks
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2009, 09:55:02 AM »
ah yes, i should have remembered that. nice work :)
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades - Eddy Merckx