SWAMP Mountain Bike Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Shout Box

[History] [Commands]

[Today at 05:39:23 PM] Scott: We need to hit it then

[Today at 05:40:01 PM] StonePony: yeah - i honestly like the yellow loop a lot

[Today at 05:40:28 PM] StonePony: when i lived up there it was great to be able to do a quick 1-hour ride and buzz around that patch

[Today at 05:41:29 PM] StonePony: and when I had a little extra time, throw the red connector to sugar mtn in as well

[Today at 05:42:33 PM] StonePony: ok, time to roll -- see you tomorrow at 5

[Today at 05:42:40 PM] Scott: DanO want some Sugar, I am looking forward to it in a sick kind of way too LOL

[Today at 05:42:49 PM] StonePony: haha

[Today at 05:42:52 PM] Scott: C ya 

[Today at 05:43:01 PM] StonePony: ttyl

[Today at 09:30:57 PM] Skinman: Gregg...got your message ...no worries

[Today at 09:31:18 PM] Skinman: as long as I dont ride with Coach i am fine

[Today at 09:36:45 PM] Gregg: haha, I will let you know what is up tomorrow.

Advanced search  

News:

SWAMP Forums are available to anyone who wants to join in, register now for free by clicking the register link near the top of this page. Registered guests who login have access to additional boards and topics. Please note that all official SWAMP club communications still come from the Yahoo! e-group.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Suicidal Turtles?  (Read 162 times)

Alan

• SWAMPer
  • Cycling Sherpa
Suicidal Turtles?
« on: August 22, 2009, 03:54:39 PM »
Noticed something odd lately.  Over the past couple months we have been coming across TONS of various turtles out on the road.  Today my neighbor also saved one crossing Kings by the entrance of our community.  Today we saved some sort of aquatic turtle on our way to Super Target in Brandon (couldn't tell if it was a Cooter or Slider or what).  On the same road a week earlier we saw a dead water turtle of some type.  Few weeks ago a HUGE softshell crossing the exit from the elevated part of the Crosstown (my wife saved the same kind out in lakeland recently). 

The oddest thing was a large Gopher Tortoise we found trying to take the entrance ramp up to the elevated part of the Crosstown headed into Brandon.  We picked the poor guy up and had no idea where to put him where he wouldn't get back out onto the road.  I put him in the back of my Passat and drove him out to Wilderness Park.  I know you aren't supposed to relocate these tortoises, but we really had no choice...we were miles from anywhere that this guy/gal was supposed to be.  Couple photos are below:

So has anyone else noticed an increased amount of turtles out on the road? 
« Last Edit: August 22, 2009, 03:57:42 PM by Alan »

Scott

• SWAMPer
  • Cycling Sherpa
Re: Suicidal Turtles?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2009, 05:36:42 PM »
I have seen like 10 or more everytime I ride the double trak on the North side of the Quadrants.

Skinman

• SWAMPer
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2009, 06:55:57 PM »
I dont know what gets them confused, but I have seen them everywhere, streets, parking lots, my backyard and all over Boyette. Maybe all the rain just has them moving around more. It been a great summer for turtles!
Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Triple T

• SWAMPer
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • aka übermensch
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2009, 07:36:13 PM »
Maybe all the rain just has them moving around more.

That was my guess as well.  Their little homes are probably getting flooded.  :(

Garry

• Global Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #4 on: Yesterday at 12:55:00 PM »
It is REALLY BAD to "relocate" gopher tortoises because they have such a widespread malady of a respiration disease.  If one looses it's life on the road, while sad, it is more preferable than it taking it's possible disease to an entire colony of tortoises and many more dying.

Robobiker

• SWAMPer
  • First Bike
« Reply #5 on: Yesterday at 04:31:14 PM »
There is a good discussion of tortoises relocation issues at, http://www.ashtonbiodiversity.org/pdf/relocation-methods-defined.pdf  .For disease issues including upper respiratory tract disease just search "disease" and you will find some thoughtful discussion.

BTW, that is quite a fat & happy looking tortoi  ;D

all those memories
 lost
   like tear drops in the rain

Alan

• SWAMPer
  • Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #6 on: Yesterday at 04:53:58 PM »
I was not aware of the potential disease risk until after we had already done the deed.  I'd never relocate any animal for sheeeets and grins but at the time I felt there was no choice.  Given the circumstances I doubt that I'd be the only person who would have this...the other side of the road was literally a breakdown lane, concrete wall, and very long drop down to the lower level of the expressway.  Not exactly sure what the "right thing to do" would be in this situation.  I feel terrible that I could have potentially screwed with nature, but I know I'd feel worse if I did nothing to try to help this lost guy.

Out of curiosity, are there any places out there that would take wounded or at-risk tortoi's?  Based on that link above there are people out there dedicated to the preservation and potential relocation of these animals.  If I run into a similar situation again, I want to make sure I do the right thing and not risk further endangering these beautiful creatures. 

« Last Edit: Yesterday at 04:59:14 PM by Alan »

bugman

• SWAMPer
  • Amatuer Billy Goat
« Reply #7 on: Today at 11:16:22 AM »
Care Animal Hospital on Bloomingdale Ave near the Wal-mart.

http://www.careanimalhospital.org/vet-services/wildlife-rescue.aspx
Life is an event, rise to it

steve

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #8 on: Today at 04:22:17 PM »
I was not aware of the potential disease risk until after we had already done the deed.  I'd never relocate any animal for sheeeets and grins but at the time I felt there was no choice.  Given the circumstances I doubt that I'd be the only person who would have this...the other side of the road was literally a breakdown lane, concrete wall, and very long drop down to the lower level of the expressway.  Not exactly sure what the "right thing to do" would be in this situation.  I feel terrible that I could have potentially screwed with nature, but I know I'd feel worse if I did nothing to try to help this lost guy.

Out of curiosity, are there any places out there that would take wounded or at-risk tortoi's?  Based on that link above there are people out there dedicated to the preservation and potential relocation of these animals.  If I run into a similar situation again, I want to make sure I do the right thing and not risk further endangering these beautiful creatures.
Oh wow youre gonna be real sick now
Pages: [1]   Go Up
« previous next »

Page created in 0.236 seconds with 19 queries.