Author Topic: Want to get a gary fisher 29er  (Read 830 times)

Offline gatorpa

• SWAMP Club Member
  • First Bike
Want to get a gary fisher 29er
« on: August 18, 2009, 08:09:40 PM »
I have been riding a trek fuel ex 6 for about 3 years now. I am thinking about getting a gary fisher hi fi pro 29er.  I rode it at flat woods for a couple of miles and north creek at alafia during demo days and liked it alot. My question is how does it handle on trails like roller coaster, moonscape, rabbit ears, etc and at places like carter? any help would be appreciated.

Online Dan-o

• Cycling Sherpa
  • My Bike: NINER EMD 1X9
Re: Want to get a gary fisher 29er
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2009, 08:22:29 AM »
BD,
I just made the switch from full suspension 26er to a 29er hardtail and I love it. I have all of the confidence riding the same trails as with my full sus bike. I just have to pick my lines instead of just bombing the drops on any line allowing the rear suspension to soak it up. I feel I can climb much better with my current ride as well.Those big wheels really do soak up the bumps on the trail. Its not that big of a change in how and what I ride as far as trails go. Test ride one again and hit those harder trails to determine for yourself. Good luck!
wherever you go.....there you are.
Just a big Hooper!

Online BeerCan

• Forum Moderator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • My Bike: Turner Sultan (V1)
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2009, 10:29:47 AM »
I have been riding a Turner Sultan since early 2007. One think I can say for certain is that the 29ers can handle like trucks.  On some switchbacks I feel like I am driving an oil tanker.  I will say that most of these problems occur on trails outside our area so some of it may be not knowing the line.  For me this slight problem is not enough to think about changing bikes.  The advantages to me outweigh the disadvantages.  As for the HiFi, I have never ridden the 29er version but as I understand it the G2 geometry is supposed to help alleviate some of the truck like steering a 29er has.
"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture." Frank Zappa
------------------------------------

Online Scott

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2009, 10:34:05 AM »
I rode with fellow swamper chainslap at last years FTF, he was dead set on riding the hi fi 29er. We rode all the trails at alafia you mentioned and all he kept saying was that this was the first 29er he had ridden that really GOT IT. He is a strong rider who usually rides an Ells 26er so I would put value in his feedback. PM him if you have any specific questions :)

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2009, 11:05:44 AM »
I rode with fellow swamper chainslap at last years FTF, he was dead set on riding the hi fi 29er. We rode all the trails at alafia you mentioned and all he kept saying was that this was the first 29er he had ridden that really GOT IT. He is a strong rider who usually rides an Ells 26er so I would put value in his feedback. PM him if you have any specific questions :)

He didn't like the seat though..... :o

Offline gatorpa

• SWAMP Club Member
  • First Bike
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2009, 04:51:34 PM »
Thanks for the replies. I sent a message to chainslap to see what he thinks.  Hope to see you all on the trail soon.

Online Alan

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • My Bike: 2009 GF Paragon, 2008 Redline MC29er
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2009, 07:46:45 PM »
While mine isn't a full suspension, I can say that my GF Paragon (also has the G2 geometry) handles like a champ.  Handling is a bit slower compared to the Giant XTC it replaced (that thing had rediculously quick/darty handling), but it feels a bit more lively compared to my Redline Monocog 29er. 

I can also tell you that a 29er rigid is tons of fun at Alafia.  I can imagine that HiFi you are looking at will be perfect for anything FL has to offer.