SWAMP Mountain Bike Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Shout Box

[History] [Commands]

[Today at 09:08:28 AM] FACTORe: lol

[Today at 09:08:41 AM] Dan-o: mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

[Today at 09:09:18 AM] Dan-o: i bet i could pretzel some roadie wheels on my Niner

[Today at 09:09:43 AM] FACTORe: yeah

[Today at 09:09:59 AM] FACTORe: cyclo-cross is where the rea crss ove happens

[Today at 09:10:05 AM] FACTORe: that is a confused bunch there

[Today at 09:10:07 AM] FACTORe: haha

[Today at 09:10:18 AM] FACTORe: that is exactly why I am racing cross this season

[Today at 09:25:11 AM] BillT: fE - the day after doing plyometrics is fun

[Today at 09:25:19 AM] BillT: almost fell on my face when I got out of bed

[Today at 09:31:50 AM] FACTORe: haha

[Today at 09:32:00 AM] FACTORe: what - you didn't rockstar jump out of bed?

Advanced search  

News:

Squiggy Classic 6 Hour Mountain Bike Race (Mar 14, 2009), information and results  here. How did you do?

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Croom Ride this Sunday  (Read 239 times)

CarbonCavy

• First Bike
  • My Rig: 08 Titus Racer X Carbon
Croom Ride this Sunday
« on: August 19, 2009, 08:32:32 PM »
I've been a member of and riding with Swamp for a little over 1 week now. So far I've joined the group for the past 2 Tuesday evening rides and had a great time riding with the "A" group. I believe the ride this Sunday is at Croom? Can I expect a similar pace at Croom and should I assume it's a bit further (30 or so miles)? Thanks and looking forward to another great ride.
"Age wrinkles the body. Quitting wrinkles the soul" - Gen. Douglass MacArthur

CarbonCavy

• First Bike
Re: Croom Ride this Sunday
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2009, 09:22:23 PM »
Based on the fact there was zero response to this posting, I'm assuming the Croom group ride is not as popular as the others?  ??? I rode it by myself once...Not as fun as I think it would have been with a group... Since I'm talking to myself, cheers!   ;D

Darrinw2001

• SWAMPer
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Current Ride: 07' Cannondale Caffeine 29er
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2009, 09:37:01 PM »
Based on the fact there was zero response to this posting, I'm assuming the Croom group ride is not as popular as the others?  ??? I rode it by myself once...Not as fun as I think it would have been with a group... Since I'm talking to myself, cheers!   ;D

I love Croom... The south Blue to red is a great trail
If your not bleeding, your not having fun!

ClintonRH

• SWAMPer
  • Amatuer Billy Goat
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2009, 09:38:30 PM »
Last Croom ride I went to had a lower turn-out than the big turn-out of the previous month. Your guess is probably close to correct. Pace up the hills will be slower than the Tuesday night pace because even the A group can't completely ignore gravity, but still probably pretty fast, down the hills will probably be as fast as your sanity allows. I don't know how far the A group rides at Croom but it's probably at least double the distance that my legs turn to jello at.

If you're barely hanging with the A group on Tuesday night I wouldn't want to try and keep up at Croom with the added challenge of long climbs. If you're comfortable wheel-hugging those guys all the way through the park then you're much fitter than me and you'll probably be fine.

CarbonCavy

• First Bike
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2009, 10:56:16 PM »

I love Croom... The south Blue to red is a great trail
[/quote]

Thanks for the reply! I've only done Croom once and rode the Blue north to red to green to yellow (or something like that)...Ran out of water at 17 miles and needed to get to parking area 2 for more...Had the bright idea of starting the ride at noon (alone) just a few weeks ago...Not very smart given the heat index was over 100! OUCH! Anyway, good chattin with ya... You planning on riding there Sunday?

CarbonCavy

• First Bike
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2009, 10:58:44 PM »
Last Croom ride I went to had a lower turn-out than the big turn-out of the previous month. Your guess is probably close to correct. Pace up the hills will be slower than the Tuesday night pace because even the A group can't completely ignore gravity, but still probably pretty fast, down the hills will probably be as fast as your sanity allows. I don't know how far the A group rides at Croom but it's probably at least double the distance that my legs turn to jello at.

If you're barely hanging with the A group on Tuesday night I wouldn't want to try and keep up at Croom with the added challenge of long climbs. If you're comfortable wheel-hugging those guys all the way through the park then you're much fitter than me and you'll probably be fine.

Thanks for the reply...I'm comfortable with the A Group for the 20 or so miles at Flatwoods, but Croom could be a bit longer and quite a different ride as you know. I may or may not show up Sunday as it seems the turnout is quite low. Thanks again!

Jonesy

• Amatuer Billy Goat
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2009, 08:33:15 AM »
CC nice meeting you on Tuesday night ride. I am riding there early on Sunday with a couple of guys if you want to meet up. Probably a little off of the A pace we were keeping on Tuesday, but a lot longer distance. Shoot me a PM if you are interested

Pariah

• SWAMPer
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2009, 12:35:51 PM »
naw go to croom.  ride the 'A' ride.  its fun.  Some of us even do it on single speeds because we're well....I dont know what we are.  avg. distance is about 25 miles, but the elevation changes and the sand have been known to make it hell on earth

jimn213

• SWAMPer
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
  • El Enmascarado de Plata
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2009, 04:06:32 PM »
You should go.  The turnout last month was pretty good, so I will probably go this Sunday as well...It will probably be even more packed down by now (I hope...).  I'm gonna try to get some Croom haters to come along.
Count not him among your friends who will retail your privacies to the world.
- Publilius Syrus (1st guy ever on a mailing list)

ClintonRH

• SWAMPer
  • Amatuer Billy Goat
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2009, 05:29:31 PM »
Well I'll be there. Wont be riding with your group yet but I look forward to it all the same regardless. I'm probably going to go to the work day Saturday as well. I'd really like to see the western half of blue one of these days. I may need to just plan to ride it one weekend by myself.

Scott

• SWAMPer
  • Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2009, 05:38:38 PM »
Well I'll be there. Wont be riding with your group yet but I look forward to it all the same regardless. I'm probably going to go to the work day Saturday as well. I'd really like to see the western half of blue one of these days. I may need to just plan to ride it one weekend by myself.
I would tell you to start at parking #1 and jump on the Withlacoochie trail north 2 miles to the 8 mile bypass, but you would miss 8 GREAT miles of single trak But if you did you could then ride blue CCW thru the pits and see the great WEST :o including sugar falls(climb) stay on blue to the red connector and take that back to parking #1 this should get you around 20 miles of sweet Blueness :)

ClintonRH

• SWAMPer
  • Amatuer Billy Goat
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2009, 05:58:22 PM »
I wish I had a good map of Croom to load on my GPS that showed the stuff that's actually relevant to us. The topo map is neat but not all that helpful because it doesn't show the small features at all.

Anyone have any good traces of everything? I haven't found any and mine only show the eastern and southern blue and yellow using the bypass.

CarbonCavy

• First Bike
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2009, 07:15:37 PM »
Excellent! Got some response...Looks like I'll be there Sunday as well. Looking forward to a nice long ride!  ;D

StonePony

• SWAMPer
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2009, 09:12:06 PM »
The top of Sugar Mtn is also a real nice place to stop and take a little break and eat etc.  Real nice spot.

Also extremely difficult to climb on a 32x17 singlespeed.  I've tried it 6 or 7 times.  Success rate = 0%.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
« previous next »

Page created in 0.364 seconds with 24 queries.