Author Topic: Mowing at Alafia  (Read 831 times)

Offline catman

• Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: 2007 Giant Trance 1
Mowing at Alafia
« on: September 09, 2009, 09:15:29 AM »
Wondering if anyone knows what is supposed to be mowed out at Alafia. I heard once that the club pays someone to mow out there. I was riding Rollercoaster Monday and it is well overgrown in certain areas (open area after initial twisty section and in the woods just after that).. My first thought was to get out there this week with my weed wacker but on second thought I asked myself why the mower isn't taking care of some of these accessable areas.

Note: I assume this area is accessable to a mower but I don't actually know if they are.
Part time mountain biker, full time roadie smiter.

Offline northbkr1

• SWAMP Club Advisor
  • Cycling Sherpa
Re: Mowing at Alafia
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2009, 12:27:58 AM »
Hey Cat, I am the mower. right now I am trying to fix parts of the trail that need work. So far I've been fixing erosion problems and fixing a few spots on North Creek, RC, Bridges. and whetever else I can get to. I have been camping out there for the last few weeks fixing and trying to repair sections that really need work. I will be camping off and on till the FTF trying to get everything done. Mowing is high on the list. I will be out there ALL day on Tuesday after I finish riding what will probably be the race loop for the Gone Riding race. I'm trying to decide what the loop will be, don't know yet but it will be different. If anyone wants to help with some trailwork send an email to  art@swampclub.org and let me know.   THANKS Kenny Dixon (stumpjumper), he helped me for 5 hours last Tuesday.

Offline catman

• Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: 2007 Giant Trance 1
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2009, 01:38:36 PM »
Thanks for the reply. I rode NC Monday and the repairs plus re-routes made it very enjoyable. My buddy who was down from Virginia said he loved the trail.

So under normal circumstances is RC mowable in the open areas towards the beginning? Should I just plan on getting out there next week with the weed wacker?
Part time mountain biker, full time roadie smiter.

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2009, 04:26:08 PM »
I'm pretty sure all that normally gets mowed Catman. Not sure if it is due to cutbacks in the budget or if someone is out that is normally there, but this year it is harder for those guys that do the mowing to keep up.
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.