Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: El Legharto post race  (Read 1438 times)

Offline EllsRider

• Yellow Jersey
  • 813Racing
El Legharto post race
« on: January 28, 2007, 08:50:17 PM »
I.m too tired to get into all the details, but what a day! Happy to say that I made my goal of 10 laps, just under 54 miles avg. speed 10.8mph. I left nothing out there. It was all I could do to get the 10 laps in, taking breaks every other lap and then every lap after the first 5. Neck pain, back pain and then  cramps in the legs, it was a battle. Riding conditions were unbelievable. Riding into a 20mph head wind on a soft muddy road for1/2 mile at the beginning of every lap was a battery draining energy sapping experience. The first 4 hours had the most unbelievable slick mud I have ever experinced (on the IVY trail, the trail at the trail head, past the picnic tables heading into the woods). It was like riding though thick snow on sheer ice. Great experience, my first ever 6 hour solo ride. Glad I had all the food and jerseys and especially thankful for the two beers.  Results won't be available for a few days, however I do know this - I didn't win.   Great job by Red Trail Racing!!!!!!!!! ;D ;D ;D
" Not this time, Lance"

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
Re: El Legharto post race
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2007, 09:03:28 PM »
Sounds exciting.  Helmets off to ya' for doing it.  Carter can be tough, then for 6 hours, well - tougher still. Do you use those electrolyte pills?

Offline EllsRider

• Yellow Jersey
  • 813Racing
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2007, 06:53:45 AM »
Electrolites pills, Heed energy drinks, beer,water, gu's, bananas it all went into the mix. I think it all helped too. I took 3 electrolite pills at around lap 6 and then 3 more before the last lap. Luckily I didn't cramp up at all last night but my legs were in a constant state of ache. Almost back to normal this morning see how the day goes.   :)

Team813Racing logged 40 laps.
      The Original Ellsrider led the way with 12 laps, riding the entire time with virtually no stops. He just made the cut-off for the final lap and was able to get his 12'th lap in. It sucked for him at the time but he will be grateful to have the 12'th lap once the results are posted, elevating him into the top piers of riders.
       Graham logged in 10 laps, just missing the cut-off for his 11 lap. He miscalculated his endurance and took too many breaks. He felt strong after the race and felt he could have ridden faster. Still a great ride. I think this was his first time ever at Loyce Harpe.
        Ellsrider logged in 10 laps. I made the cut-off with 15 minutes to spare and suffered on my last lap. I took lots of breaks and don't think I would have wanted to do an11'th lap if I would have cut my break time down and gone for the extra lap. It was a very demanding course. Cruddy Buddy was punishing because of themud and wet roots the first half of the ace, and then the fatigue going over all those roots during the second half of the race. Ivy was a mud bog. Puff N Stuff was a little challenging with the board climb that narrowed to a skinny board the last 2 feet at the top. Fell off a couple of times and struggled not to crash and finish the climb. The service road was a battle royale.  I had my laps timed so that Tinker was passing in the same general area for about 4 laps in a row. That guy is so smooth. He rides like he's on a scooter, he just  glides down the trails. You don't hear anything and then hes on your rear tire, and then he's gone just as fast. I was doing the corporate course, 5.4 miles or so and Tinker was doing the red course, 10 miles or so and much harder trails to ride.  Alot of other strong  riders out there also. Some of the women riders were unbelievable. It is inspiring to ride with the best there is.
        The Idster logged 8 miles. He and the Orig. Ellsrider had lapped me by the 6'th lap. On the 7'th lap the Idster  had a mishap on the Puf N Stuf board climb, rolled back down the hill and hit his back on a tree. He did another lap but was not able to continue. He and the Orig. Ellsrider were riding together the whole race and it would have been nice to see who would have won in the end. Maybe during the 12 hour we could finally see who the strongest is.

All in all it was a good experience. Another first for me in the world of MTB'ing. The bike performed perfectly. It's coated with mud. The tires held up fairly well as could be expected.  Next event will be the 12 Hour. 
" Not this time, Lance"

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2007, 07:44:36 PM »
Wow... great riding guys... sounds like a strong showing.  If you ride like that at Squiggy I hope you can pull 7 or 8 laps each.  I sure hope you guys do it solo instead of team, or you will be kicking our butts in the teams categories.

Advertisement: