Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Calling all roadies!  (Read 1755 times)

Offline EllsRider

• Yellow Jersey
  • 813Racing
Calling all roadies!
« on: January 30, 2007, 06:45:01 AM »
Having done a couple of long off road rides I'm feeling pretty confident in myself  and am thinking about going for my first  century on the road bike. However, I am still a virtual virgin on the road bike and am not that crazy about riding on roads. With these greenways and rails to trails around out there, what is the best scenic route to get 100 miles in. Am thinking about stopping at a restaurant to eat possibly and would like to minimize road miles unless there are really safe roads to ride with few cars.  Any suggestions? Willing to drive a little bit. I figure 6 hours ride time so that leaves a couple of hours to drive and eat and hang out to round out the full day. Whats out there? 
" Not this time, Lance"

Offline Ken

• Swampster
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Ride On!!!
    • http://www.myspace.com/keno442
Re: Calling all roadies!
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2007, 07:05:01 AM »
The Suncoast Parkway is a good ride. It starts at Lutz Lake Fern road and goes through Hills., Pasco, Hernando, and up to the Citrus county line. Total one way is 46 miles and if you go into the nature preserve ( I think it's named J.B.Starkey? ) you can add another 8-10 miles. There's alot of places to stop up till Brooksville and then it kinda thins out with traiheads at state roads 54,52,50, with some oters areas north of those. It follows the Parkway north and ia a nice scenic ride. Just watch for the turkeys, I ran into a several flocks of them. Hogs st Alafia and Boyette, Turkeys on the Parkway!
                                                  Ken
If you don't crash occassionaly, you're not riding hard enough!!

Offline EllsRider

• Yellow Jersey
  • 813Racing
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2007, 07:07:41 AM »
Any idea of good places to stop and eat, and at what mile marker approx. ?
" Not this time, Lance"

Offline Ken

• Swampster
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Ride On!!!
    • http://www.myspace.com/keno442
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2007, 08:10:52 AM »
At state road 50 (brooksville) there are several places to eat. I know there's the usual fast food places, not sure if there's a real restaraunt or not. It's a large intersection with alot of businesses. Last time I was there I was trying to outrun a giant thunderstorm to get back to the truck and didn't take to much notice. Didn't outrun it either. Rode the rest of the way in hard rain, lightening, and 23MPH winds (of course against me!). Also, the further north of 50 it starts to get rural with fewer places to eat. There are alot of hills up that way also making for a good workout. Same story, fun going down but work going up. Still a good ride, you'll probably like it. They also have kiosks along the way with igloo coolers and water. The are chained closed but I don't know how often they refill them. The one I used was clean and fresh. Pack some food,snacks, and water and you'll be fine. I've been using the little ziploc snack bags to put the right amount of Cytomax or Powerbar Endurance drink in to mix up when I refill my water bottles. Good for fig bars also.
If you don't crash occassionaly, you're not riding hard enough!!

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2007, 08:28:16 AM »
At SR 50 headed back west towards the interstate is a little pizza place in the shopping center on the left.  Pretty good food too.

Offline EllsRider

• Yellow Jersey
  • 813Racing
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2007, 07:43:48 PM »
Sounds good. So is the Croom/Withlacoochee better than the Suncoast?
" Not this time, Lance"

Offline Homer 2-Niner

• Hardtail Monkey
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • ride it rigid..
  • My Bike: ninER one9 rigid singleSPEED
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2007, 10:45:29 PM »
My guess is YES!!!

There are hills up thata way brother!!! Hills in Florida can you believe it!!

LOL

=Bob  ;D
the world should ride a rigid singlespeed!

Advertisement: