Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Morris Bridge closures of trails - reason?  (Read 1362 times)

Offline ttam

• First Bike
Morris Bridge closures of trails - reason?
« on: September 01, 2009, 06:25:04 PM »
Why are a number of trails on Morris Bridge closed?  Indian and Gator Bait.

I recently rode on the Indian trail (got on it in the middle of the trail, not the start nor end, no signs) and arrived at the end of the trail with posts saying the trail is closed.  Why wasn't there a sign saying it was closed in the middle of the trail?

The trail seemed fine to me, a bit watery which I do enjoy since it gives a bit more variety to the terrain.

Offline Darrinw2001

• At least this is a Healthy Obsession, right?
  • Yellow Jersey
  • aka "The OGRE" - Elite Epic Gonzo Soul Rider
  • My Bike: 2012 Salsa EL Mariachi Steel 29er and 2012 Salsa HorseThief
Re: Morris Bridge closures of trails - reason?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2009, 07:04:41 PM »
Gatorbait, Indian, and parts of Grandpa get very wet and muddy and riding them when they are like that damages the trails. It makes large ruts and widens the trail because people tend to go around wet and muddy sections..

When the trails are closed, there is a reason and the land managers have the best interest of the trails in mind...

Offline Skinman

• Cycling Sherpa
  • My Bike: 08 FSR 29er
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2009, 07:07:26 PM »
Closed because of water and damage to the trail if everyone rode it when wet. Things seem to be drying up a tad so maybe they will re-open.....People will often knock down the closed signs and ride anyway. There is a club ride there tonight....they will notice if a sign is missing and replace it.
"Dad, these pedals are terrifying!"

Offline ClintonRH

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2009, 01:37:15 PM »
As I understand it, on any one day it might be fine to ride but during this time of year it's too fragile MOST of the time so they just stay closed because they can't be surveyed on a daily ( or possibly hourly with the spontaneous storms we get). I've noticed that people often knock down the sign at the middle entrance to Indian because it's harder to walk around that one than the ones at the ends. I've picked it up twice before and put it back. I usually ride with the club on Tuesday and again by myself on Thursday which is when I usually find it down. Once I couldn't find it so I just dragged a big tree limb across the entrance but I guess it was found by someone because it did end up back up. Those trails have a few areas that stay wet long after everything else dries up and if people rode through those areas regularly those problem areas will just get bigger.

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas....and a new plastic Titus....
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2009, 11:02:22 AM »
Why are a number of trails on Morris Bridge closed?  Indian and Gator Bait.

I recently rode on the Indian trail (got on it in the middle of the trail, not the start nor end, no signs) and arrived at the end of the trail with posts saying the trail is closed.  Why wasn't there a sign saying it was closed in the middle of the trail?

The trail seemed fine to me, a bit watery which I do enjoy since it gives a bit more variety to the terrain.

Matt,

The only way in to Indian right now without going around a post is through an unmarked branch of Grandpa....It is pretty overgrown and frankly not ridden much at all, but it is in clear view of an entrance to that trail that is marked closed.
I assume that this is where you went it.

Without repeating what everyone has already stated. There are trails in all of the local systems that are seasonal trails. Indian and Gatorbait are two of them. They will probably be closed for a few more weeks as we are getting closed to the end of rainy season. We go through this every summer.

I ask that you respect the trail closures as they are intended to preserve to trails for the long term. It is not asking alot for you to reroute your ride at Wilderness. There are well over 25 miles of trail to ride there.

Please do not ride closed trails. I assure you we will reopen them as soon as it makes sense to do so.

Gregg

Advertisement: