Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Bull Mountain  (Read 2556 times)

Offline bikehard

• Clipless Mountain Goat
Bull Mountain
« on: September 01, 2009, 06:30:41 PM »
I am heading up to Bull Mountain in Dahlonega, GA Sept 26-28 for some Mtbing and was wondering who has been before and could recommend some good trails/ routes?  Also are the trails well marked, where to find a good map so we dont get lost.

Any other feedback is much appreciated.

2008 Turner 5 Spot - 28lbs of Squish!

Offline BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Intense Uzzi VPX w/ 'Slacker' dropouts
Re: Bull Mountain
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2009, 06:45:15 PM »
I haven't ridden there, but I have ridden Big Creek which is just south of Cummings, Ga.  Nice place...xc trails in the front and some dh/freeride stuff in the back with a little bit of elevation.
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Offline bikehard

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2009, 07:09:22 PM »
I haven't ridden there, but I have ridden Big Creek which is just south of Cummings, Ga.  Nice place...xc trails in the front and some dh/freeride stuff in the back with a little bit of elevation.

last I checked Big Creek is closed right now.  We are staying in Alpharetta.

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2009, 07:15:11 PM »
I rode Bull Mountain a few years ago. As far as a route I couldn't tell ya, if I was there I could retrace my steps though. It was a good ride back then, and there are some other good riding opportunities around that area.
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Online chisel

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2009, 07:46:38 PM »
bull mountain is a fun trail system, but i cant recall any special routes.so you will have to ride them all!

Offline BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Intense Uzzi VPX w/ 'Slacker' dropouts
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2009, 07:50:01 PM »
RAMBO says Big Creek is open, but it may not be 100% up to date - http://rambo-mtb.org/trails.php
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2009, 02:56:01 PM »
Park at the Bull Mountain trail head.  From there ride up Bull Mountain and come donw on Baire Haire.  Both Moonscape/Gatorback equivalent type of trails but more gradual climbins instead of up and down.  From there you can ride over to Jake Mountain.  No Tell Trail, Turner Creek and moss Creek are reall good.  I have only riden there once during the Fools Gold race.  I hope to return one day to just ride the Single tracks.  Tons of other fire roads with a ton of climbing from that area.  Here is a map.

http://www.sorbachattanooga.org/trails/Perm/Georgia/Chattahoochee_National_Forest_-_Bull_&_Jake_Mtns/maps/map0.gif

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
  • team - independent self supported
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2009, 03:01:22 PM »
I am there for this weekend

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2009, 03:03:42 PM »
I am there for this weekend
Becareful... Bull mountain (south to north) is mostly climbing over big roots.  But Baire Haire (north-south) is similar roots but with 6-12 in (or more) stair type drop... scare the crap out of me.

Offline BeerCan

• Forum Moderator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • My Bike: Turner Sultan (V1)
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2009, 03:20:51 PM »
Wow, this basically looks like what I just rode for the fools gold.  Bare hare for me was brutal.  Overall most of the trails seemed like they would be fun on a leisure trip (as opposed to a race)
"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture." Frank Zappa
------------------------------------

Offline bikehard

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2009, 07:40:32 PM »
Park at the Bull Mountain trail head.  From there ride up Bull Mountain and come donw on Baire Haire.  Both Moonscape/Gatorback equivalent type of trails but more gradual climbins instead of up and down.  From there you can ride over to Jake Mountain.  No Tell Trail, Turner Creek and moss Creek are reall good.  I have only riden there once during the Fools Gold race.  I hope to return one day to just ride the Single tracks.  Tons of other fire roads with a ton of climbing from that area.  Here is a map.

[url=http://www.sorbachattanooga.org/trails/Perm/Georgia/Chattahoochee_National_Forest_-_Bull_&_Jake_Mtns/maps/map0.gif]http://www.sorbachattanooga.org/trails/Perm/Georgia/Chattahoochee_National_Forest_-_Bull_&_Jake_Mtns/maps/map0.gif[/url]

are the trails well marked? another words do they coincide w/ the map above?  Or am i gonna have a problem getting lost?

Offline Kevin Bennett

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Space Ghost
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2009, 09:24:22 PM »

are the trails well marked? another words do they coincide w/ the map above?  Or am i gonna have a problem getting lost?
Looking at that map, I don't think you'll have a problem getting lost .....I imagine it would be quite easy  ;D
God is great, beer is good, people are crazy!

Offline catman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: 2016 Scott Genius 740
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2009, 11:24:53 PM »
We liked Jake Mt more than Bull and got lost many times due to poor maps.
Part time mountain biker, full time roadie smiter.

Offline Derek

• First Bike
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2009, 11:42:01 AM »
I went just 2 weeks ago, i STRONGLY suggest riding fall creek falls then stanley gap & just missing bull mountain all together. Bull mountain was in hurrendous shape, the rain just killed the trail completely so every 5 feet their is a root with a 6 inch drop off, & just continuos roots & rocks its in horrible shape, fall creek falls was the best ride i ever had ill be going there again. Once you get to fall creek falls its about a 2 mile straight climb to the loop, then you can choose to go right or left once you hit the loop, DO BOTH, you will be walking your bike alot regardless but its so worth it.

If you go right its another 2 or 3 mile climb then a HUGE DROP, im talking 5 or 6 miles straight downhill nonstop brakes burning a fullface would be recommended but if you go this way their is alot more rocks on the downhill but nothing serious, its amazing with a little bit if jumps thrown in, i mean 20 minutes or more of straight downhill.

If you go left which i kinda thought was better, you hit a 3 or 4 mile singletrack downhill, now be careful on this the drops in the beggining are STEEP, youll see its scary, there are no roots or rocks on this part of the loop but youll be going at high speeds flying by trees & ridges, my specialized enduro 05 (one of the best downhill bikes alive) made it that much better, its amazing best track ive ridden alltime, ive ridden all over FL/GA/NC/TN this one takes the cake. Another cool thing about going left is the ramps they have that are optional along the way, you hit them going about 40-50 or more & you fly literally.

Bull mountain isnt worth it until they fix it up im sure it was a great track before the rain ruined it.

Also fall creek falls is about 30-45 min away from bull mountain its on aska road
Downhill/Trail Riding- Specialized Enduro 05
Trail Riding - Giant Yukon FX 09
Dirt Jumping/Freeriding - Specialized P2 09

Offline Darrinw2001

• At least this is a Healthy Obsession, right?
  • Yellow Jersey
  • aka "The OGRE" - Elite Epic Gonzo Soul Rider
  • My Bike: 2012 Salsa EL Mariachi Steel 29er and 2012 Salsa HorseThief
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2009, 04:22:35 PM »
do you mean Flat Creek Loop? Fall creek Falls is in TN....
« Last Edit: September 12, 2009, 04:28:05 PM by Darrinw2001 »

Advertisement: