SWAMP Mountain Bike Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Shout Box

[History] [Commands]

[Today at 04:45:47 PM] chisel: gotta go.seeya a.m.

[Today at 04:45:52 PM] Darrinw2001: hey, you my they sensored my name?

[Today at 04:46:09 PM] Darrinw2001: mean..

[Today at 04:46:15 PM] Darrinw2001: disck

[Today at 04:46:22 PM] Darrinw2001: *

[Today at 04:46:28 PM] Darrinw2001: ahhhh! 

[Today at 04:46:45 PM] Darrinw2001: richard

[Today at 04:46:53 PM] Darrinw2001: wheww..

[Today at 06:17:15 PM] bikehard: anyone know how Carter conditions are?

[Today at 07:12:22 PM] mmountainbiker: they were good last sunday

[Today at 07:32:16 PM] mksandoz: carter uis golden i hear, they had a race there last weekend

[Today at 07:40:09 PM] bikehard: nice

Advanced search  

News:

Squiggy Classic 6 Hour Mountain Bike Race (Mar 14, 2009), information and results  here. How did you do?

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dane Kauffman Harmon  (Read 154 times)

Kevan

• Assistant Wheel Spinner
  • SWAMP Club Advisor
  • Cycling Sherpa
Dane Kauffman Harmon
« on: September 02, 2009, 03:16:33 PM »
I first met Dane when we interviewed him for our developer position.  He was working on final touches on a product upgrade to be completed before he left for his new position.

Avid Pasco County bicyclist is mourned by family, friends

By Camille C. Spencer, Times Staff Writer
In Print: Wednesday, September 2, 2009

ST. LEO — Dane Harmon had become an avid bike rider in the past two years. 
 When he lived in Tampa, he rode his Trek 7.3 bike to his sister's house in Dade City. And more recently, he started training for a 100-mile ride.

Harmon, 24, was excited about exploring the Washington, D.C., area on his bike later this month when he was scheduled to begin a computer job at the Defense Intelligence Agency.

Saturday morning, he rode along State Road 52. Near the entrance to Saint Leo University, a car struck his bike. Harmon died the next day. His organs, including skin and bones, were donated. A memorial service is planned for 10 a.m. Thursday at Hodges Funeral Home in Dade City.
 "He was a brilliant mind," said Valerie Hammen, Harmon's sister. "I am so sad for the world. He had so many positive contributions to give."

• • • 

Harmon was the youngest of three children in a military family and was born in Kentucky. His father, James, was in the Army. 

From an early age, Dane picked up on things easily. He was cooking his own eggs at age 3. When he was 10, he read Last of the Mohicans during a family trip to Florida from a Maryland military base where the family lived. 

Sometimes, Dane did his older brother James' homework. He would charge him 50 cents. 

The Harmon family eventually settled in Florida, and Dane went to Wesley Chapel High School. He graduated in 2003. 
 Joe Geier, a former yearbook teacher at the school, never taught Dane but remembered him as being a helpful kid who always had a smile on his face.

"I became friends with Dane after he graduated, and I was doing freelance graphic design work," said Geier, who now lives in Pittsburgh. "He put together a Web site for me. If you needed help, Dane was there. He was an awesome individual."

Dane Harmon went to the University of South Florida, where he was president of the Math Club and USF Senate. For a while, he was a DJ for the college radio station.

He graduated with a math degree in 2008, and took a job at IMAPP, a Tampa real estate company, as a computer programmer and software developer.

"We took him out to lunch one day, and he was an amazing kid," said Mary Sheridan, one of Harmon's co-workers. "Just really smart and personable. Very easy to talk to. He was headed for a nice life, and it ended."

• • • 

About 11:36 a.m. Saturday [August 29, 2009], Harmon was riding west in the bike lane on State Road 52, said Pasco sheriff's spokesman Kevin Doll.

J. Emanuel Beinkampen, 65, of San Antonio was driving his 1991 sedan west on 52. Beinkampen veered into the bike lane, hitting Harmon, Doll said.

"It didn't appear that speed was an issue," Doll said. "The driver didn't appear impaired." 

Sean Ashburn has known Harmon since fifth grade, when they attended San Antonio Elementary. Ashburn, 24, said he remembers Harmon always willing to pitch in and help others.

Once, during hurricane season a few years back, Harmon was working for Ashburn at his home decoration shop in Dade City when they tried to board up the building before a storm.

"We were out in the middle of the storm with an electric drill trying to board up windows," said Ashburn, now a law student. "We were such idiots for being out there, but he stuck to it."

Ashburn said Harmon was someone he expected to age with. 

"I expected him to plan our reunions," he said of their college and high school years. "I knew he would be one of those friends."

Ashburn posted a note Monday on his Facebook page filled with things he would miss about Harmon that he called, "Dane Harmon-Good Memories-Great Friend."

The end reads, "You always being there, in good spirits, no questions asked. Always there to help. 

You will be devotely loved and missed by scores of people. 

RIP Dane." 

Camille C. Spencer can be reached at cspencer (at) sptimes (dot) com or (813) 909-4609.

Link to article: http://www.tampabay.com/news/humaninterest/avid-pasco-county-bicyclist-is-mourned-by-family-friends/1033000#
Cannondale Prophet 1000 (Blue)

SandPine

• Ride Guide
  • Yellow Jersey
  • SS Bender
Re: Dane Kauffman Harmon
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2009, 03:30:15 PM »
Wow... there is no bike line on that road that I am aware.  But what is spooky is that I rode through the same spot only 2 hrs earlier.  I may have even seen him.  Factore and HMAN rode through there 1 hr earlier then when the accident happened.  That sucks....

BTW, this is only about 1-2 miles east from where Josh Kuck (USF Cycling Team Captain) was killed.   I hate that road.... everyone is speeding through there to get to or off I-75...

Scary....

CORRECTION;  Hwy 52 is a bit further south.  I was thinking the Pasco County Community collete and Blanton road.  We only cross 52 north-south on our San Ann ride.  We don't ride 52 since it is heavy and fast traffic .
« Last Edit: September 02, 2009, 03:36:57 PM by SandPine »

FACTORe

• Ride Guide
  • Yellow Jersey
  • Outside Sport/813 Racing
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2009, 03:35:32 PM »
that totally sucks - about that time H-man was getting tired and wanted to cut up 52 instead of the route we took and I talked him out of it.

this is the route we took instead  http://connect.garmin.com/activity/12100217 that would have put us on 52 around 11am

:-[
notice has been served - 813 racing is in the house

Darrinw2001

• SWAMPer
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Current Ride: 2008 Specialized FSRxc Pro
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2009, 03:39:02 PM »
One of the main reasons I ride in the dirt... Sad
Please Help Trips for Kids Tampa!
Visit www.mtbyouthride.org to see how!

SandPine

• Ride Guide
  • Yellow Jersey
  • SS Bender
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2009, 03:41:07 PM »
that totally sucks - about that time H-man was getting tired and wanted to cut up 52 instead of the route we took and I talked him out of it.

Good choice... don't ride hwy 52.. but any of those roads are pretty dangerous.  Best chances to ride in group while up there.

One of the main reasons I ride in the dirt... Sad
Danger everywhere... let's just stay home!....  but true, hitting a tree not as severe as being hit by a car.

Darrinw2001

• SWAMPer
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2009, 03:43:09 PM »
I can control my speed and riding on dirt and not hit a tree... I cant control others in cars...

Triple T

• SWAMPer
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • aka übermensch
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2009, 03:58:02 PM »
I cant control others in cars...

Sad story. 

I agree with you Darrin.  That's the biggest reason I stay on the dirt.
Ibis Mojo SL.  24lbs. 12oz.

FACTORe

• Ride Guide
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2009, 04:00:04 PM »

Sad story. 

it is really bad when things go bad on the road - but I would be you are WAY more at risk on the dirt

you are not being realistic when you say dirt is safer...on that note, I think this isn't the proper place to be "this is why I stay on dirt"  how about we pray for the family of the fallen rider rather than unfairly bashing road riding?

Darrinw2001

• SWAMPer
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2009, 04:00:44 PM »
Plus the fact that I ride with my 8 year old son a lot.. I dont even like riding on the sidewalk on some streets.. 

Darrinw2001

• SWAMPer
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2009, 04:04:23 PM »

Sad story. 

it is really bad when things go bad on the road - but I would be you are WAY more at risk on the dirt

you are not being realistic when you say dirt is safer...on that note, I think this isn't the proper place to be "this is why I stay on dirt"  how about we pray for the family of the fallen rider rather than unfairly bashing road riding?

I do pray for the mans family and it is a sad event, and not bashing road riding.. just stating why I dont do it..

Triple T

• SWAMPer
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • aka übermensch
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2009, 04:04:57 PM »
you are not being realistic when you say dirt is safer

Maybe not, but I FEEL safer.
Ibis Mojo SL.  24lbs. 12oz.

FACTORe

• Ride Guide
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2009, 04:08:57 PM »

truth is..NEITHER is safe.  No matter how much we think  that we are in control on either surface, we aren't. 

I pray for every bodies safety.  I love this sport and the wonderful people involved and hate to see anything happen bad to anybody.

Darrinw2001

• SWAMPer
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2009, 04:13:43 PM »

truth is..NEITHER is safe.  No matter how much we think  that we are in control on either surface, we aren't. 

I pray for every bodies safety.  I love this sport and the wonderful people involved and hate to see anything happen bad to anybody.

Ditto...

FACTORe

• Ride Guide
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2009, 04:16:21 PM »
Plus the fact that I ride with my 8 year old son a lot.. I dont even like riding on the sidewalk on some streets..

Be carefulthe sidewalks are more dangerous than streets:

"People wonder how riding bikes on sidewalks can be dangerous. First, there is a greater chance of minor collisions with cyclists and pedestrians due to poorer visibility and restricted room and also a greater chance of falling down. However, the likelihood of a collision with a motor vehicle also increases. These accidents occur at intersections and driveways, the former more deadly. Unwilling to dismount and often unwilling to wait for the light, the bike rider starts across the intersection parallel to the main road, completely hidden from a turning motorist until the last second, when it's often too late for the motorist to stop. A study of these risks was made in 1994 and showed that sidewalk cycling is almost twice as dangerous as cycling in the street, and cycling against the traffic on the sidewalk is over four times as dangerous as cycling in the street."

mksandoz

• SWAMPer
  • Cycling Sherpa
  • roadie
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2009, 06:31:05 PM »
you're probably at more risk driving to the mtb trails than you are road riding.

http://www.daclarke.org/AltTrans/BikesDangerous.html

anyways...the best you can do out there is ride safe and hope that the Gods have not chosen for you to be pancaked.

http://bicyclesafe.com/
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades - Eddy Merckx

http://mksandoz.blogspot.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up
« previous next »

Page created in 0.577 seconds with 18 queries.