Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Afraid to get wet and/or dirty?  (Read 2458 times)

Offline ttam

• First Bike
Afraid to get wet and/or dirty?
« on: September 03, 2009, 04:10:10 PM »
Reading responses to trail closures because people go around mud/water pits.  That puzzles me why. I love dirt.  It's fun, gives more variety to the terrain. Are yall afraid of getting some moisty dirt on your face?

Offline BeerCan

• Forum Moderator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • My Bike: Turner Sultan (V1)
Re: Afraid to get wet and/or dirty?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2009, 04:14:22 PM »
It has nothing to do with getting dirty.  It is because it destroys the trails when ridden on in that condition.  The following is pilfered from about.com

Question: Should I Mountain Bike on a Wet Trail? - Riding Wet Trails
Mountain biking on wet trails can be very damaging to the trail, especially in certain soil types. Riding and damaging a wet trail can not only lead to accelerated erosion but can lead to trail closures. So, when is it ok to ride a wet trail?
Answer: In some particularly damp parts of the world, if you don't ride when it's wet, you simply won't be able to ride. In these areas as well as other areas where mud and erosion are not an issue, riding in the wet is just fine. However, in most areas riding it simply isn't acceptable.
 In almost all cases you shouldn't ride on a trail when it is muddy. When you ride in the mud you are significantly contributing to trail erosion, and you seriously effect the quality of the surface of the trail when it dries out.
Trail damage and erosion is one of the most effective reasons people use to get trails closed. You shouldn't be surprised to find a trail that has been ridden in the mud one day closed to mountain bikers another.
A mountain biker should always make a conscious effort to preserve the environment they are riding in. This includes an honest evaluation of the trail condition and an effort to minimize damage to it.
 That said, there are some other issues to riding wet trails.
 Damp trails are particularly fragile, so, as always, avoid hard braking and locking up your wheels.
Don't go around puddles, go straight through them. If everyone goes around the outskirts of a puddle it damages the sides of the trail and widens it. Going through the puddle keeps the trail at the same width and minimizes trail damage.
"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture." Frank Zappa
------------------------------------

Offline KRUNNCHERO

• Frankenbike builder!
  • Forum Moderator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Smite master!
    • Raymond James Financial Services
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2009, 04:54:00 PM »
Reading responses to trail closures because people go around mud/water pits.  That puzzles me why. I love dirt.  It's fun, gives more variety to the terrain. Are yall afraid of getting some moisty dirt on your face?

So you think we do not want to ride trails because we will get dirty? Uh?? Come out to the Gatorback emergency workday this weekend and see what wet trails + sandy soil + riding in the rain do to a trail. These trails are not like up North where they hold up to rain and abuse. These trails just dissolve under wet conditions.
We continuously seek feedback from you as to how we can improve our policies and procedures since our primary goal is to act in partnership with you. If you have any questions or need to report any problems on the SWAMP forum, please send me a PM and I will get back with you ASAP.

Offline Skinman

• Cycling Sherpa
  • My Bike: 08 FSR 29er
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2009, 05:42:39 PM »
I counted up to 30 riders leaving HTF Tuesday night...didnt seem like anyone was worried about getting dirty. My bike is covered in mud from Boyette yesterday. But I rode trails that can handle the wet. getting muddy/dirty makes me feel like a kid again, I love it!

I have just 15 hours this year doing trail work but It has given me new appreciation for the blood sweat and tears that SWAMP has put into enabling us to ride in this area over the past 10 or 15 years.
There are some good muddy trails that are open, I suggest you hunt them out in the wet weather. Anyone on this site can offer good suggestions.

I described Alafia to someone once as the trails are trying to melt back into the pits where the soil came from. It takes alot of effort to keep those trails open and ridable, sometimes closing trails is the best alternative. Thats just summer in Florida I guess.

Off the soap box now!!
"Dad, these pedals are terrifying!"

Offline Darrinw2001

• At least this is a Healthy Obsession, right?
  • Yellow Jersey
  • aka "The OGRE" - Elite Epic Gonzo Soul Rider
  • My Bike: 2012 Salsa EL Mariachi Steel 29er and 2012 Salsa HorseThief
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2009, 10:03:01 PM »
Love the new avatar Skinman, I want it!

I fell into Clay Gully tonight at Flatwoods, that is the "Creek" that cuts through around 35/36 and it was about 2 1/2 feet deep. I got wet, dirty, and bloddy (hit a paver with my knee that was ounder water). You dont have to ride closed trails to have fun.... 

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2009, 10:29:56 PM »
I have just 15 hours this year doing trail work but It has given me new appreciation for the blood sweat and tears that SWAMP has put into enabling us to ride in this area over the past 10 or 15 years.
There are some good muddy trails that are open, I suggest you hunt them out in the wet weather. Anyone on this site can offer good suggestions.

I described Alafia to someone once as the trails are trying to melt back into the pits where the soil came from. It takes alot of effort to keep those trails open and ridable, sometimes closing trails is the best alternative. Thats just summer in Florida I guess.

:'(
Brings a tear to my eye. Every person we get doing trail maintenance starts to sound the same, once your blood sweat and tears go out there on the trail to maintain it, you understand. I feel this way after a few short years, I imagine that Garry, Art, Wes, and the rest of the gang that have been in FL for years feel it too.

If you are not part of the solution, you are part of the problem. If you aren't gonna come out and do trail maintenance that is fine, just don't complain about the condition of the trails you aren't helping to maintain.
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Offline $irWattZZZZ

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Ibis Mojo HDR, WaltWorks 29er,Devinci Atlas, Cannondale EVO
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2009, 07:40:43 AM »
Love the new avatar Skinman, I want it!

I fell into Clay Gully tonight at Flatwoods, that is the "Creek" that cuts through around 35/36 and it was about 2 1/2 feet deep. I got wet, dirty, and bloddy (hit a paver with my knee that was ounder water). You dont have to ride closed trails to have fun....
That thing looked like a roaring torrent!!! We turned around knowing how deep that puppy is :)

Offline Skinman

• Cycling Sherpa
  • My Bike: 08 FSR 29er
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2009, 07:54:07 AM »
Darrin.....I stole the Avatar from a Clydesdale on mtbr.com!! :D

Jason...My first work day was with you and Art on Moonscape in the rain. We moved rocks all day! I didnt have the energy to ride after. I spend my work days at Boyette now...only becaus that is the Saturday I have available...hell I havnt even tried to ride moonscape or gatorback yet...hope to over the winter if I ever grow some skills!!
"Dad, these pedals are terrifying!"

Offline Kevin Bennett

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Space Ghost
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2009, 07:57:19 AM »
.hell I havnt even tried to ride moonscape or gatorback yet...hope to over the winter if I ever grow some skills!!
Just think what you could ride if you bumped your effort level to say 63%  ;D
God is great, beer is good, people are crazy!

Offline KRUNNCHERO

• Frankenbike builder!
  • Forum Moderator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Smite master!
    • Raymond James Financial Services
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2009, 08:02:08 AM »
I think this sums up my feelings about this thread.

We continuously seek feedback from you as to how we can improve our policies and procedures since our primary goal is to act in partnership with you. If you have any questions or need to report any problems on the SWAMP forum, please send me a PM and I will get back with you ASAP.

Offline Triple T

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • Balloon Knot Cycling
  • My Bike: Likes to pose in the parking lot.
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2009, 08:09:06 AM »
I think this sums up my feelings about this thread.

I like this one better.  ;)

Ibis Mojo SL-23.81 lbs.
Ibis Tranny-20.75 lbs.

Offline ttam

• First Bike
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2009, 09:59:13 AM »
Quote from: KRUNNCHERO link=topic=4783.msg47163#msg47163 [size=10pt
These trails are not like up North where they hold up to rain and abuse. These trails just dissolve under wet conditions.

That sums it all up for me. Thanks, and I didn't know that.

I did NOT mean to offend any of you.  I just had that impression from other responses without that much details. I am from the North (only been in FL a short time), so I had NO IDEA how "fragile" Florida land is.  I absolutely HATE riding on sand, so it was frustrating to  see some of the trails that don't have sand are closed and some of you said it was because of people "riding around" mud pits of that nature which gave me the impression that people are afraid to get dirty here. 

TripleT, I like yours better too :)

Offline Kevan

• Assistant Wheel Spinner
  • Forum Moderator
  • Cycling Sherpa
  • My Bike: Cannondale Scalpel 29er
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2009, 01:53:33 PM »
That's the strange thing about trails in Florida.
We have year-round riding weather but they easily get too dry or too wet to ride.
Enjoy
SWAMP Webmaster.  Have a question about SWAMP or the website?  Please contact me.

Advertisement: