Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Wilderness Park.  (Read 2499 times)

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas....and a new plastic Titus....
Wilderness Park.
« on: September 04, 2009, 11:08:38 AM »
Due to some torrential rains in the past few days, I have asked the rangers to close Heartbreak ridge temporarily. It is currently an island. At least one of the bridges is floating. I am sure that it won't take long for this to recitfy itself.

In addition there is a significant amount of water in the center of Flatwood that will cause you to reroute yourself on to some double track for a few hundred feet.

The Clay Gully Stream Crossinng that stays wet all summer is about 2 feet deep. Use caution while crossing.

Indian, Gatorbait and the lowest part of Grandpa are still closed.

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
  • team - independent self supported
Re: Wilderness Park.
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2009, 11:12:52 AM »
Due to some torrential rains in the past few days, I have asked the rangers to close Heartbreak ridge temporarily. It is currently an island. At least one of the bridges is floating. I am sure that it won't take long for this to recitfy itself.

In addition there is a significant amount of water in the center of Flatwood that will cause you to reroute yourself on to some double track for a few hundred feet.

The Clay Gully Stream Crossinng that stays wet all summer is about 2 feet deep. Use caution while crossing.

just the way I like it...MAIN TRAIL BABY

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas....and a new plastic Titus....
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2009, 11:13:45 AM »

right up your alley.....I bet you can beat 11.7! :D

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
  • team - independent self supported
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2009, 11:15:43 AM »

right up your alley.....I bet you can beat 11.7! :D

I am going to go for beating that time on a cross bike - Randy is building it up for me

Offline ClintonRH

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2009, 07:15:25 PM »
With the right tires and rider I think a cross bike could be much faster. I know I can do many of the trails significantly faster on my cross bike. The sections with lots of big roots close together really slow me down though because plowing over them isn't an option unless you really like fixing pinch flats. Maybe tubeless would help. Throwing the cross bike into the turns is kind of scary because it slides on the sand until the thin wheels dig enough of a rut to get traction.

I know out at Croom I left some really easy to follow tire tracks because they'd leave a deep rut in every sandy section. Doesn't really matter in the sandy sections though. Some of the downhills were pretty scary though. Not enough traction in the slip'n'slide sand, not enough brakes to shed speed when the traction was there.  Think I need some better pads and maybe adjust the toe-in some because I had some bad fork shudder too.

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2009, 10:27:14 PM »
I am going to go for beating that time on a cross bike - Randy is building it up for me
Hit me up... I rode with Barbara last Tuesday.  She showed me her Cyclocross training course out at Trout Creek.  Even gave me the combo for the standard size barriers you (or anyone else) can use for practice.

BTW, it is not a renegade course.  It is right off the levi before crossing the river gate.  It goes down the levi into the grassy tree section.  Around several of those big pine trees and along side the levi south then goes back up the Levi and back to the gate.  It is less then 2 miles.  The barriers are kept close by locked down of course.  If anyone ones to train on the course, look me up at one of the TNR rides.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 10:29:28 PM by SandPine »

Offline ClintonRH

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2009, 11:05:07 PM »
I'd definitely want to be in on that. I know some other people that are planning to race this year to that may want in as well. Safety in numbers right?

Damn poor timing that the Lakeland race is same weekend as the FTF.

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2009, 11:09:07 PM »
I'd definitely want to be in on that. I know some other people that are planning to race this year to that may want in as well. Safety in numbers right?

Damn poor timing that the Lakeland race is same weekend as the FTF.
Lakeland?  I think you mean the Dade City one.  I know because a SWAMPer (Dan aka Latte) is race coordinator of it.  We helped him put that one together last year and this year he got tagged in the same wekend as the FTF so he will be looking for many volunteers.

Offline ClintonRH

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2009, 11:19:27 PM »
The Florida Cycling website says Lakeland/Dade City. I figured it was a two race/ two venues/one weekend combo type deal like Oralando/Clermont last year. I've talked briefly with Dan but not in any detail. Haven't yet decided which I want to do more. Probably just stay with the FTF because I'm already registered and realistically I'm just doing it for fun. I should probably have a jersey that reads "If you can read this you're lapping me or you just suck."

Offline ClintonRH

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2009, 09:19:03 PM »
Didn't see any thing that looked like it might be this mythical cyclocross course so I made my own today using the berm road, single track, and double track.

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Trout-Creek-cyclocross-training-course

That's what I was doing today. Short but fun. No barriers but the sandy double-track is sure to dismount just about anyone at some point (I made it through about every other try and ate it on a couple more).

Offline Skinman

• Cycling Sherpa
  • My Bike: 08 FSR 29er
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2009, 07:01:03 PM »
Anybody taken a look at gatorbait or Indian lately? Are they getting dried out yet?
"Dad, these pedals are terrifying!"

Offline Darrinw2001

• At least this is a Healthy Obsession, right?
  • Yellow Jersey
  • aka "The OGRE" - Elite Epic Gonzo Soul Rider
  • My Bike: 2012 Salsa EL Mariachi Steel 29er and 2012 Salsa HorseThief
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2009, 07:04:03 PM »
Gatorbait is open, was a little wet yesterday but rideable.. has hog damage but like I said, rideable. Indian may be open very soon but not yet

Advertisement: