Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Falcons at Boyette???  (Read 1328 times)

Offline Skinman

• Cycling Sherpa
  • My Bike: 08 FSR 29er
Falcons at Boyette???
« on: September 04, 2009, 07:00:56 PM »
Wednesday about 6 pm at the end of east meadow we saw what appeared to be about a dozen Falcons all circling and diving. It was quite a show. They were going after a swarm of dragonflies.
I have only seen falcons solo, never in groups like that. Were they really Falcons, or something that just resembles them? They had the split tails and the size and coloring were right.
Wish I had a video camera!

"Dad, these pedals are terrifying!"

Offline Chris K

• Trips For Kids Tampa
  • Amateur Billy Goat
    • TFK Tampa
Re: Falcons at Boyette???
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2009, 07:55:32 PM »
most likely swallow-tailed kite's...they feed on insects

http://www.peregrinefund.org/explore_raptors/kites/swallowt.html
« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 07:59:46 PM by Chris K »
Trips For Kids Tampa- Mountain bike outings and educational opportunities for "at risk" kids www.mtbyouthride.org

Offline Skinman

• Cycling Sherpa
  • My Bike: 08 FSR 29er
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2009, 08:03:41 PM »
Thanks!
Yeah ...that looks like them, although they say they get to 4 feet, the birds I saw seemed smaller, but they were up in the air so it was difficult to tell.
heck I dont even know if Falcons live in Florida!
"Dad, these pedals are terrifying!"

Offline Chris K

• Trips For Kids Tampa
  • Amateur Billy Goat
    • TFK Tampa
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2009, 08:25:04 PM »
That is there wingspan, so about 2 feet on each side, it really isnt that big. If it had that tail I would most defintetly say it was them. Not may other birds have that distinct fork.  Pretty cool to see a group like that!  I wish I could have seen it, they are amazing flyers.

Florida is the fall home to the Peregrines Falcon (the worlds fastest bird.. can reach speeds up to 200 mph), but most of the predator birds you see here reffered to as falcons are hawks.  The Peregrine until recently was on Florida's endangered species list and still is not commonly seen.  You almost cant go for a ride without seeing a red-shouldered hawk though.
Trips For Kids Tampa- Mountain bike outings and educational opportunities for "at risk" kids www.mtbyouthride.org

Offline ClintonRH

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2009, 08:31:59 PM »
During the winter Peregrines are pretty common in downtown Miami. It's pretty cool when one goes dive bombing between the buildings.

Offline Chris K

• Trips For Kids Tampa
  • Amateur Billy Goat
    • TFK Tampa
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2009, 08:38:38 PM »
That is awesome... Ive never seen one in the wild.  Thats gotta be crazy to see a bird flying 200 mph between buildings  :o

Offline Darrinw2001

• At least this is a Healthy Obsession, right?
  • Yellow Jersey
  • aka "The OGRE" - Elite Epic Gonzo Soul Rider
  • My Bike: 2012 Salsa EL Mariachi Steel 29er and 2012 Salsa HorseThief
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2009, 08:56:53 PM »
I saw a good sized Hawk on Monday around west meadow... it was flying low under trees about 100 feet in front of me..

Offline mmountainbiker

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Favorite Trail: Boyette
  • My Bike: 2012 Trek EX 9.7 OCLV Mountain XTR/XT- RLC-FIT/Evol re:aktiv factory
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2009, 09:47:32 PM »
Wednesday about 6 pm at the end of east meadow we saw what appeared to be about a dozen Falcons all circling and diving. It was quite a show. They were going after a swarm of dragonflies.I have only seen falcons solo, never in groups like that. Were they really Falcons, or something that just resembles them? They had the split tails and the size and coloring were right.
Wish I had a video camera!
Brain On Drugs

Advertisement: