Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Ridgeline??  (Read 3169 times)

Offline Half Breed

• Huffy Rider
  • My Bike: 2004 GT iDrive 5
Ridgeline??
« on: September 07, 2009, 08:37:05 AM »
I know alot of people are wondering.  That means alot of people are respecting the trail closures (for once).  Whats the word on Ridgeline??  I hiked back about 2 weeks ago and outside of a little damage, its not too bad of a trail.  I noticed some clay/sandbag issues and a few spots that dont really dry, but outside of that, it looked ok.  Is this to be a winter only trail??
So, which one of you ladies wants to see the recieve the next child support check??  :)

Offline Kevan

• Assistant Wheel Spinner
  • Forum Moderator
  • Cycling Sherpa
  • My Bike: Cannondale Scalpel 29er
Re: Ridgeline??
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2009, 10:51:14 AM »
Good question.  I don't think the intention is to allow this really, really fun trail to be seasonal only.

SWAMP spent a lot of money and plenty of time building this trail last year but with this year's rains a few problem areas have shown themselves.  To make matters worse, the rains have kept the work crews from assessing the situation and working out a sustainable solution.  Some of the materials used didn't handle the water well either.

Unfortunately, the planning and repair process has been slower than we would all like to see.

The good news is that the rains should be subsiding a bit over the next month or so and that presents an opportunity to have this trail repaired and in great shape for the fat tire festival in November.

I expect this trail repair topic to be at the top on the list for the Boyette trail bosses.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 10:55:19 AM by Kevan »
SWAMP Webmaster.  Have a question about SWAMP or the website?  Please contact me.

Offline Half Breed

• Huffy Rider
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2009, 11:24:49 AM »
Nice.  thanks.  that probably answers that for alot of people.

Maybe build some fun little bridges over the non drying areas.  im down to build some.  Carpentry was easy to learn building speakerboxes and bars inside restaurants and niteclubs.  Carter uses some of them over problem areas and they make the riding all the more fun.....

Oh yeah, did i mention that I have a TON of wood and screws, tools and saws.  let me know if this may help and give me dimennsions.  Ill work out a blueprint or two and do all the math and caulculations.

*Smoothing out the drop on OMG by building a drop in ramp will allow the subsequent tabletop to be used as either a tabletop hit (a big one) or allow less skilled people to roll over the top.

*The exit for MAX G'S could be redesigned.  Where it merges, it will NEVER repair. Maybe relocating it over one more whoop and then out the side where the heavy equip was stored during construction would work.  You could get there without sacraficing your roll from the initial drop in.

*Create some park fun in the area that Lauren Overlook is.  This can raise and lower the terrain enough to get it pretty dry and not muddy.   It will also get more people to use the rest area.  Now they can watch advanced riders take a few hits and maybe some boxes or bridges to roll on and stunt!!!.

Just a few ideas  :)

Half Breed

Half Breed
So, which one of you ladies wants to see the recieve the next child support check??  :)

Offline Kevan

• Assistant Wheel Spinner
  • Forum Moderator
  • Cycling Sherpa
  • My Bike: Cannondale Scalpel 29er
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2009, 01:11:01 PM »
Great ideas and I hope some of our trail bosses, and folks involved in Lauren's loop specifically, can read them.

I know that SWAMP has to be extra careful with structures and bridges at Balm Boyette:  SWAMP is disallowed from putting in any structure, of any size, that has not been approved in writing by Hillsborough County. (Multiple Departments)  A long and expensive process.

Also, Each park SWAMP maintains trails in has a different organization and set of rules to adhere to.  That's why some parks have lots of structures while others do not.

In 2008, materials SWAMP purchased for Boyette and brought in to repair a washed out trail section were taken (stolen?) and used to build a jump structure without SWAMP's knowledge or approval.  Even though SWAMP went in and removed the structure and materials, aftermath still lingers.  (Example: Workdays and Vehicles in park must be pre-approved and scheduled.)

The Balm Boyette Scrub Preserve trail workdays are currently scheduled for the second Saturday of every month.

Thank You!
SWAMP Webmaster.  Have a question about SWAMP or the website?  Please contact me.

Offline BeerCan

• Forum Moderator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • My Bike: Turner Sultan (V1)
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2009, 02:15:35 PM »
IMO it is that illegal structure and the fall out as the result, is why people seem to be more sensitive about Boyette.  I am not sure if everyone is aware that it even happened, but it seems the tone at Boyette changed after that.  One nice thing is that with all the new trails going in and the enthusiasm for the park, it shows the county that SWAMP and the riders care about the place.
"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture." Frank Zappa
------------------------------------

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2009, 02:18:16 PM »
I know alot of people are wondering.  That means alot of people are respecting the trail closures (for once).  Whats the word on Ridgeline??  I hiked back about 2 weeks ago and outside of a little damage, its not too bad of a trail.  I noticed some clay/sandbag issues and a few spots that dont really dry, but outside of that, it looked ok.  Is this to be a winter only trail??
We hope to get started on Ridgeline soon.  First up, and the easier, faster fix is minor stuff on Sidewinder and SWAMP Thing along with Garry's Loop.  That will open up the route to go from the Abyss's and Pandemonium all the way around through to the back side of East Meadow again. (The Abyss's and Pandemonium needs fixes as well, and we can keep those open even when those repairs are in the works.)

If that moves fast enough, then on the same workday we will also get started on Ridgeline.  Couple trees down, some wet clay areas need drainage built in, some washed out soft edge sections need to be armored, and some reworking of an assortment of problem areas.  Keeping bikes off of it in it's worst condition has helped to hopefully make it not worse than it could be.  Thanks to everyone here, and not here, for respecting the closed trail sign. 

Our goal is when we finish the repairs for it to be a year round trail.  That means this rainy season has been good in the sense we can see where the problem areas are and how bad and set forth a plan of action to make permanent fixes.  We had a pretty good idea what would need work, but Mother Nature will always own that thought process.

Workday volunteers get shared between four trail systems and 125+ miles of trails, so needed repairs and opening of closed trails always seems to take longer than it should.

There will be multiple workdays added to the monthly scheduled ones when we can.  Alafia needs help too and it's hard to pull potential volunteers from there on that scheduled workday and move them down the road to another trail and vice versa.Anybody have a magic wand?  Cause we could sure use one.  Three year drought and we made up for it in like one month!
« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 02:20:17 PM by Garry »

Offline Jim DeLuca

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2009, 05:19:58 PM »
Nice.  thanks.  that probably answers that for alot of people.

Maybe build some fun little bridges over the non drying areas.  im down to build some.  Carpentry was easy to learn building speakerboxes and bars inside restaurants and niteclubs.  Carter uses some of them over problem areas and they make the riding all the more fun.....

Oh yeah, did i mention that I have a TON of wood and screws, tools and saws.  let me know if this may help and give me dimennsions.  Ill work out a blueprint or two and do all the math and caulculations.

*Smoothing out the drop on OMG by building a drop in ramp will allow the subsequent tabletop to be used as either a tabletop hit (a big one) or allow less skilled people to roll over the top.

*The exit for MAX G'S could be redesigned.  Where it merges, it will NEVER repair. Maybe relocating it over one more whoop and then out the side where the heavy equip was stored during construction would work.  You could get there without sacraficing your roll from the initial drop in.

*Create some park fun in the area that Lauren Overlook is.  This can raise and lower the terrain enough to get it pretty dry and not muddy.   It will also get more people to use the rest area.  Now they can watch advanced riders take a few hits and maybe some boxes or bridges to roll on and stunt!!!.

Just a few ideas  :)

Half Breed

Half Breed

Sounds like you have alot of ideas on how to make the trails better.  Hope to see ya out at Boyette next Sat. at the workday. 

Offline Half Breed

• Huffy Rider
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2009, 04:05:53 PM »
Count me in for Saturday morning.  Man, Ill even comit to working the brush and patching the trail on all of Golf Cart.  That should take about 4 hours.  Let me know.  I can prob do the entire trail (clear all overgrowth, patch hog holes, move rocks ect) with 3 people total in around 4-5 hours.  let me know.

Half Breed

Offline Garry

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2009, 05:16:19 PM »
Count me in for Saturday morning.  Man, Ill even comit to working the brush and patching the trail on all of Golf Cart.  That should take about 4 hours.  Let me know.  I can prob do the entire trail (clear all overgrowth, patch hog holes, move rocks ect) with 3 people total in around 4-5 hours.  let me know.

Half Breed
Thanks for your help Half Breed.We'll meet up before 9:00 in the parking lot, plan the day with the amount of folks who show up, and get done as much as we can.  Task priorities are always determined on the size and makeup of the group of volunteers.  We have been lucky with many workdays having 15 or 20 people.  Hope for a good turnout for this one too.G[/]

Offline Half Breed

• Huffy Rider
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2009, 11:15:38 PM »
Ill be there, 2 hrs sleep, eyed, and full of ADHD!!!!!

Got shears, pruners, weedeaters, shovels......

Should I load up the car??  As long as it all comes back to the truck we can use whatever I have...

Offline Garry

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2009, 01:32:02 AM »
Ill be there, 2 hrs sleep, eyed, and full of ADHD!!!!!

Got shears, pruners, weedeaters, shovels......

Should I load up the car??  As long as it all comes back to the truck we can use whatever I have...
We have a lot of tools, but if you have some favorites you're welcome to bring them.  I suggest marking your tools.  Still need to get mine back!
 >:(

Offline Half Breed

• Huffy Rider
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2009, 09:25:00 AM »
Ahhhhhh!!  Spray paint the handles PINK, youll always get them back!!!! ;D

Offline ClintonRH

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2009, 10:12:05 PM »
but then your tools will match all the other pink handles and you'll never sort it out.

Offline Half Breed

• Huffy Rider
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2009, 10:46:11 PM »
well ill custom pink and black lepoard fir them!!!!!

Offline SouthernAvalanche

• Huffy Rider
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2009, 08:45:06 AM »
Hey,

I want to join SWAMP and help with the trails....My only down fall now is I work Frida thru Monday 7am to 5pm.  I do have Tuesday thru Thursday off.  I live in Wesley Chapel.  I ride croom but lately been riding Boyette cause its nice and its not hunting season there........I like to help out...

Advertisement: