Author Topic: Impressed with friend's Specialized Rock Hopper  (Read 2060 times)

Offline 4x4TampaTaco

• Clipless Mountain Goat
Impressed with friend's Specialized Rock Hopper
« on: September 11, 2009, 08:37:45 AM »
   Buddy of mine just got a '09 Rock Hopper and I was impressed with how light weight that bike is. Specialized has it listed as a "XC Recreational" type bike. Has a Dart 3 shock, hard tail and options to get discs which he didn't. Compare to my Giant Rincon... much lighter.  What is the difference between the 2 frames? One thing I noticed was his bike came stock with 2.00 tires which really didn't do so hot out there in the sand, I'm much happier with my 2.10's.  With me looking at throwing money and parts at my Rincon I'm debating if I should just buy a decked out Rock Hopper and throw some nice tires on it, or maybe just get a rock hopper frame.  B/c I'm still looking at getting a Reba 100mm Fork which lighter than the Dart 3 fork. Is the rincon and rock hopper frame in different classes or something?
« Last Edit: September 11, 2009, 08:40:01 AM by 4x4TampaTaco »

Offline SandPine

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • SS Bender
    • <b>SandPine's Ride Reports</b>
Re: Impressed with friend's Specialized Rock Hopper
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2009, 08:43:16 AM »
   ... I was impressed with how light weight that bike is. ...
What is the weight?  In poundage....

Offline 4x4TampaTaco

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2009, 08:44:38 AM »
Have no idea b/c I didn't weigh it. but it was flat out obvoius it was lighter than my rincon by I'd say 5#'s or so. My bike is IIRC 33? So his rock hopper is probly high 20's. His tires wer much smaller and less aggressive, but lighter tires can't be more than a 1# difference.

Offline eclark

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2009, 09:20:12 AM »
I don't know anything about the bikes, but I know about bike envy.  Bike envy is normal, we all suffer from it.  Look at TTT posts, he already wants to replace a fork on his x-wing fighter.  If you are still perfecting your riding, keep your bike just as is and replace things as they break or wear out.  You will definitely be breaking things if you are riding hard and the FL sand is he ll on parts.  New bike stuff is great, but before too long you are going to want to plunk $2k or more on a nice full suspension (or 29er or cross or super sweet HT) rig, save for that day. 

Offline E90X + 1.1.11

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • team - independent self supported
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2009, 09:22:32 AM »
go to bank and take out 2nd mortgage on house - spend 30-40K on bike stuff

the next week something new will come out and you will still have bike envy....lol

Offline 4x4TampaTaco

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2009, 09:29:07 AM »
haha.  Not really envy.. but just like how the bike is mucher lighter duty and well suited for about the same price range. Giant has the rincon listed as a "sport" bike. Not really sure WTF that is, but I think it's overkill for what we ride. you'd think I was jumping 30' cliffs with it. I'm looking at it from a engineering point of view, just enough material to do the job. Reaps the perks of weight loss.

Online Darrinw2001

• At least this is a Healthy Obsession, right?
  • SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • Current Ride: 2009 Giant Trance X3
    • Trips for Kids Tampa Home Page
  • My Bike: Current Ride: 2009 Giant Trance X3
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2009, 09:31:29 AM »
Like I said before, dont throw money at an entry level bike, rockhopper or Rincon. Save your money and buy a nice used mid-level or upper level bike. I and several friends have bought high quality bikes and upgraded little things (grips, tires, etc) to make them better.

When you start having to upgrade Forks, Shocks, etc, you end up spending way too much money on inferior bikes. Example, I just bought a 2 year old Full suspension mid-level bike with a Rock Shox Reba dual air fork for $100 more than the fork itself would be new... keep what you got and keep looking for a good deal on a higher quality used bike that does not need high dollar upgrades to make it better.   
Please Help Trips for Kids Tampa!
Visit www.mtbyouthride.org to see how!

Offline 4x4TampaTaco

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2009, 09:39:58 AM »
that seems like good advice. I was looking at a Reba Fork and some nice tires... gonna run me like $600-$700.  The bike itself was only like $450. Does seem like a bad investment. I haven't gotten to the point where I can look at a bike and tell what level it is at.  What is considered a mid-level bike? full suspension of any kind? Seems like for the riding in FL we only need a "XC, cross country" type bike right?

Offline Triple T

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Likes to pose in the parking lot.
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2009, 09:47:27 AM »
the next week something new will come out and you will still have bike envy....lol

So true
Ibis Mojo SL-23.81 lbs.
Ibis Tranny-20.75 lbs.

Offline BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Intense Uzzi VPX w/ 'Slacker' dropouts
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2009, 09:48:59 AM »
For $600 - $700, you can buy a really nice used full suspension frame and then slowly upgrade from there.

Some samples -
Good frame and comes with a decent amount of parts as well - http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showproduct.php?product=39619&cat=7

Stout frame, pretty good company - http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showproduct.php?product=39377&cat=7

Also search eBay for frames...you can typically find some nice prices on used/barely used/new Giant and Kona full suspension frames that will be in your price range.
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Offline BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Intense Uzzi VPX w/ 'Slacker' dropouts
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2009, 09:49:37 AM »

So true

Bah!  How could you have bike envy, Mr. Ultra Bling Bike King?
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Offline Skinman

• Cycling Sherpa
  • My Bike: 08 FSR 29er
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2009, 09:52:31 AM »
1)Bike envy
2)Denial
3)Envy acceptance

You are in phase one.  :D
Most of the rest of us are advanced phase three.
"Dad, these pedals are terrifying!"

Online Darrinw2001

• At least this is a Healthy Obsession, right?
  • SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • Current Ride: 2009 Giant Trance X3
    • Trips for Kids Tampa Home Page
  • My Bike: Current Ride: 2009 Giant Trance X3
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2009, 09:56:40 AM »
Not only "Bike Envy" but you also must find what you like to ride the Best. I tried hard tails, 29er's, Full suspension, and finally found what I Really Like to ride... Although I would sell it in second if i could get a really good deal on an Ellsworth Evolve!  ;D   
Please Help Trips for Kids Tampa!
Visit www.mtbyouthride.org to see how!

Offline eclark

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2009, 10:04:13 AM »
This thread is a riot, all the usual bike envy suspects here.  Seriously though, there is definitely a little more to FL riding than just XC.  Right now there are tons of decent sized little drops all over alafia due to the erosion, I am sure there are some 2-3 footers if you look around.  You said it when you said 700 upgrade to 450 bike is definitely a bad investment.  When you buy a complete bike you save on all the components.  When I first started MTBing, I spent $300 on a '95 fully rigid giant iguana and I LOOOOOVED it, I never ended up putting a fork on it, but broke and replaced almost everything else in the next 12 months or so.  By the time me and my riding were ready for the next level, I had shopped to replace so much that I knew what I was looking for on my next bike.

Offline 4x4TampaTaco

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2009, 10:08:46 AM »
I can see piecing a bike together in the MTB world is much different than 20" BMX bikes...  I'll keep this Rincon stock for now, and train. Then later on get a better bike.