Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Family Riding  (Read 7094 times)

Offline Homer 2-Niner

• Hardtail Monkey
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • ride it rigid..
  • My Bike: ninER one9 rigid singleSPEED
Family Riding
« on: January 31, 2007, 10:56:08 AM »
Anyone out there have young ones??

If so, I am trying to get my wife more into the Mountain Bike thing..  I need some help from some of the woman Swampers here.....  Or wife of Swampers who ride. 

I'll watch the baby so she can go...  problem is getting her out there and meeting some new people without a baby sitter I cant get both of us on the trails at the same time... 

So any ideas or solutions would help greatly..

Thanks guys and gals!!

=BOb    ;D
the world should ride a rigid singlespeed!

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
Re: Family Riding
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2007, 11:15:10 AM »
Hook her up with Judy Moore.  Big John's wife.  Judy normally does the kids ride at Trout Creek every first Sunday of every month.  This coming Sunday is that kids ride that she does.  But even then, she normally brings like 4-6 other girls with her that ride a shorter version.  Sort of like a C group ride. 

Also, up the road from where we live on 301, there is a subdivision call Lake Charles.  Behind the KFC north of the Alafia river bridge.  There is a WinDixie or Publix (?) shopping center there.  There is an off hours day care.  We had thought about using them when our son was young so the wife and I would go out on a Friday night.  They do day care up to like midnight as well as weekends.  I  have not used them but just read about it on a local newspaper.

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2007, 11:17:41 AM »
On other days, and I know Gregg has done this, family buy the carriages that tie to the back of one bike.  Or a car seat of it.  Now the kid may not get a great view but is a nice way to bring out the whole family.  Even if you start on the neighborhood.  If you do go to the trails, stay on the flat ones like just main from Hole-in-the-Fence...  Or do the Levi in the Trout Creek.  You can also vike the hiking double track loop at Alafia.

Talk to Gregg, he might lend you his bike car seat so you can try it out.  Just make sure the baby gets a good helment.

Offline Homer 2-Niner

• Hardtail Monkey
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • ride it rigid..
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2007, 11:22:58 AM »
I will look into that after hours daycare..  that might be an option..

she really does not want to ride without me there for the first couple of times... know what I mean?? 

she wants that comfort of having me there, she's kind of nervous, never been on the bike on a trail...  just around the neighborhood...

i think she'd do fine once we get her going..

-Bob

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas....and a new plastic Titus....
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2007, 07:08:52 PM »
I know what you mean, I think that I may want to ride with you the first couple of times.....lol

but seriously my wife has a baby seat on the back of her bike. the seat is pretty elaborate it has shocks and is presumably pretty comfortable. We will ride the main trail at fw/mb/tc and they usually do pretty well. I am with you I would love my wife to be more involved. As it is she thinks Marcel is my "girlfriend" LOL

Gimpy Dude

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2007, 08:24:03 PM »
As it is she thinks Marcel is my "girlfriend" LOL

Gimpy Dude

So does everyone else!   :P

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2007, 08:30:40 PM »
Thanks!

Offline Homer 2-Niner

• Hardtail Monkey
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • ride it rigid..
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2007, 10:26:42 PM »
HA!!  Now thats funny!!

;D

Offline BeerCan

• Forum Moderator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • My Bike: Turner Sultan (V1)
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2007, 11:22:17 PM »
Just make sure you don't take her on rabbit ears.  Ya know with your history of ride partners on that trail and all . . .

Anyway I have really been meaning to do this with your wife and mine.  Problem is my wife has been so busy it makes it hard to plan.

What we should do is a swamp family picnic at alafia or somthing.  Lets say the weekend following croom?  Saturday or sunday?  Anyone in?
"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture." Frank Zappa
------------------------------------

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2007, 12:02:06 AM »
You have no idea how much I would like to......

Offline Ken

• Swampster
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Ride On!!!
    • http://www.myspace.com/keno442
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2007, 08:17:49 AM »
You'll be there soon Gregg, Don't let this stuff get you down. i'd be up for a family ride sometime but we just started up baseball again( I manage a team, 9th year), and I need to get my games and practice schedule worked out. My wife is working her way onto the trails also, slowly but surely. Me and my four kids are good to go except for our last cyclocross race on Sunday the 11th. Jpap in the forum has a wife and kids that ride also.

Ken
If you don't crash occassionaly, you're not riding hard enough!!

Offline dcsatt

• First Bike
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2007, 09:07:10 PM »
I'm in nearly the same boat; only, we're trying to get back into biking.  We were in Gainesville for several years while I was in undergrad and law school.  During undergrad, we both rode with Team Florida (the club MTB team).  Then, we raced with the gang from Razorback. 

My wife kicked butt.  She was fearless.  Plus, she won most of her races; the best I did was 11th.  Now, it's five years since we've been in the saddle, and we have a 19-month old daughter.  But, we're gonna try.

We just got her Trek 8500 tuned up, and I just bought a shiny new Rocky Mountain Element 70.  My daughter has a new Giro helmet and a sporty Trek GoBug for behind the bike.  We're heading to Alafia (for the first time) tomorrow (if the weather cooperates).  We'll scoot around the trailhead and some wide trails just to feel it out and see how my daughter does.  We'll probably take turns babysitting at the trailhead while the other rides. 

Ideally, we could pull my daughter on some double wide out to the technical stuff, and then take turns from there (probably possible at Santos -- not sure about Alafia).

If anyone with experience would care to offer advice, I'm all ears.

Offline Ken

• Swampster
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Ride On!!!
    • http://www.myspace.com/keno442
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2007, 10:57:22 PM »
My youngest one started out there (5 yr. old ) on a trailer bike. She actually made it through Sand pine, River Loop, and all of the first half of rollercoaster except for the harder sections. We took the easier routes. She started to cry when I wouldn't take her down the first big dip after bypassing the harder big dip at the ridge climb. I caved in and took her down, I couldn't tell if she was sreaming or crying all the way down. Carried more speed down because of the extra weight and when we came to the lip at the top of the uphill we had both the bike and trailer bike in the air. Grabbed the brakes and took what seemed forever to stop, looked back and she was thrilled to death!!! Proceeded to tell how awesome that was. She was older than your daughter but some one said the other day that they were riding with a suspension type seat ( didn't know they maade one), on the back of their bike. I even saw a guy with one and his daughter on it at Morris Bridge one day. Get her on a little 12" bike with training wheels and let her sit on it and watch TV and get used to it. Next thing you know she'll be riding. Mine kicked the training wheels off just before the Fat Tire Festival two years ago and spent the whole festival riding around the campground. Alot of people remember her and talk about how they have watched her grow. She's now the returning 2006 Cyclocross Champion at the Fl. state Series. Just get her started and she'll be good to go!!!
If you don't crash occassionaly, you're not riding hard enough!!

Offline Homer 2-Niner

• Hardtail Monkey
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • ride it rigid..
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2007, 05:46:49 AM »
DC..

There is a multi use trail that runs around the park at ALAFIA. Plenty wide enough for one of those trailers you got..   There are also a few trail heads along that Multi Use Trail. You have Bridges which is a blast, not to technical, just has two good climbs if you take the difficult section, and a couple of nice rollers...

You have Root Garden or "Rock Garden" which is a fun trail, still have yet to find the rhythm of that one though..  you either have to go fast and kill yourself (which is the best way!!!) or you go slow and punish yourself...

Then theres Sandpine, an easy trail you should be able to get the trailer through the whole thing without much issue.. 

There are other trails out there but those will be the ones easily accessed from the Multi=use trail...  Hope that helps.

=Bob   ;D

Offline dcsatt

• First Bike
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2007, 07:53:43 PM »
Just wanted to post an update on our first family ride.

Alafia is perfect for pulling the GoBug.  The double-track encircling the inside perimeter is ideal.  Heading over, we were a little worried about how my daughter would respond to the helmet and the GoBug, as she was reluctant to participate at home; however, she jumped right in (I guess all the other bikers at the trailhead must've influenced her). 

We made it a short day, but had plenty of time to do some recon.  We pulled off at the Bridges and Rock Garden crossovers and took turns riding the short loop back to the double-track.  It was a little muddy and slick, but not too bad.  In short, we plan on many future Saturdays at Alafia with my daughter in tow.

It's a great feeling to be on the bikes again.

Advertisement: