Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Is it possible to put a freeride area in alafia?  (Read 4599 times)

Offline Derek

• First Bike
Is it possible to put a freeride area in alafia?
« on: September 12, 2009, 11:59:07 AM »
Well i think alafia is amazing first off i just went yesterday & hit north creek/bridges/rollercoaster/moonscape & the trails are looking good exception being roller coaster needs a little work done. I love santos but alafias trails has santos trails beat by far & what makes santos good is the freeriding it offers. I heard alafia only developed 2/3's of the park & are upgrading & expanding the park that already is ranked one of the best in the country. Ive seen the hills you guys have you can make something special happen & if anybody that has power to make this decision lets me know its possible i will spend all the time possible i can to go down there & make it happen. Freeriding would bring so much more to the park maybe not the cliff jumps like ocala has but maybe a vortex & whatever they can come up with. Can anyone in charge of swamp get back to me & what does the community think about this?
Downhill/Trail Riding- Specialized Enduro 05
Trail Riding - Giant Yukon FX 09
Dirt Jumping/Freeriding - Specialized P2 09

Offline eclark

• Cycling Sherpa
Re: Is it possible to put a freeride area in alafia?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2009, 12:47:39 PM »
It is not a possibility.  Alafia is a state park and has to meet higher standards than county lands such as carter or santos, we can have no wood and no man made obstacles.  It sucks, but it is what it is.  The trails are great anyway, hopefully we will see you at the next workday.

Offline Half Breed

• Huffy Rider
  • My Bike: 2004 GT iDrive 5
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2009, 03:56:05 PM »
It is not a possibility.  Alafia is a state park and has to meet higher standards than county lands such as carter or santos, we can have no wood and no man made obstacles.  It sucks, but it is what it is.  The trails are great anyway, hopefully we will see you at the next workday.

There are wood bridges and ramps all over Alafai.  Is it just nothing outside of travel paths? (kind of a "tread lightly" type thing) where if it isnt nessesary, you cant build it??
So, which one of you ladies wants to see the recieve the next child support check??  :)

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2009, 04:16:00 PM »
A wood bridge to get riders over a particularly sketchy or muddy area is not the same as an obstacle, ramp or drop. There is one thing that could be considered an obstacle and that is the wood plank on Rock Garden. All other wood structures serve the purpose of continuing on the trail.

There are wood bridges and ramps all over Alafai.  Is it just nothing outside of travel paths? (kind of a "tread lightly" type thing) where if it isnt nessesary, you cant build it??

Offline luckynumber9

• Amateur Billy Goat
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2009, 07:53:43 PM »
I'd also like to see a little freeride area at boyette or alafia.  something along the lines of what markham has would be cool.  but if it cant happen, it cant happen.

Offline ClintonRH

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2009, 08:38:51 PM »
A wood bridge to get riders over a particularly sketchy or muddy area is not the same as an obstacle, ramp or drop. There is one thing that could be considered an obstacle and that is the wood plank on Rock Garden. All other wood structures serve the purpose of continuing on the trail.

A skinny plank with no real elevation doesn't feel like an obstacle to me. Just a way to cross a mud pit.

Do I always ride it, because it's there? Even if it's dry enough that the muddy area it's bridging isn't a problem. Yeah.

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas....and a new plastic Titus....
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2009, 09:51:48 PM »
Regretable, this in not a possibilitie at Alafia. There has been lots of conversation about it in the past.

Offline Darrinw2001

• At least this is a Healthy Obsession, right?
  • Yellow Jersey
  • aka "The OGRE" - Elite Epic Gonzo Soul Rider
  • My Bike: 2012 Salsa EL Mariachi Steel 29er and 2012 Salsa HorseThief
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2009, 10:47:33 PM »
I would like to see REAL Mountains in Florida, but that wont happen either. ;D

Offline eclark

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2009, 06:29:57 AM »
I have been doing trailwork for I guess 2 or 3 years at alafia, pretty much since the TOE(RIP) closed, and we have not installed any new wood bridges.  It does seem like there are a few, but not many compared to Carter.  An boyette is worse for free ride now, since people built illegal stuff out there last year.  That managed to get night rides and trail work at boyette all screwed up.  Since I need a little DJ fix now and then, I have a little jump or two hidden in my developement and I have a local route around town with a slew of wall drops from 2 to 6 feet, most with nice transition landings.  Ride what you can. 

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2009, 12:31:35 PM »

A skinny plank with no real elevation doesn't feel like an obstacle to me. Just a way to cross a mud pit.

Do I always ride it, because it's there? Even if it's dry enough that the muddy area it's bridging isn't a problem. Yeah.
Well, all obstacles don't have to be tall to be considered an obstacle.  Is it Free Ride?  No way.

Offline Half Breed

• Huffy Rider
  • My Bike: 2004 GT iDrive 5
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2009, 09:27:57 AM »
Any SWAMP members with a little land can build a park.  I had a few doubles and hits at my house before.  Just let SWAMP members only ride it, after theyve signed the amended "use the SWAMP park at you own risk" membership paper that will go in their personal file.

I got use of a bobcat. someone hook up some space!!!
So, which one of you ladies wants to see the recieve the next child support check??  :)

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
  • team - independent self supported
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2009, 09:43:38 AM »
lol - not this subject again...can we just sticky up one of the "free ride" posts with all the info from the past somewhere?

Offline ProEdgeBiker .

• SUPPORTING OUR TRAILS By DONATING $30/yr for a SWAMP FAMILY MEMBERSHIP!
  • SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • *SPECIALIZED & SCOTT* My SWEATSHOP BOUTIQUES!
    • PROEDGEBIKER.COM
  • Favorite Trail: BOYETTE/P-TRAIL
  • My Bike: 650b SPECIALIZED EPIC & SCOTT FOIL 15
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2009, 10:12:44 AM »
LOL!

Offline kj

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • Personal text?
  • My Bike: Vassago JabberWocky & Bandersnatch
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2009, 10:51:37 AM »
I have a few acres of unused pasture land.  What I don't have is much dirt above level ground, though I'm open to scooping out a pond.

Offline ProEdgeBiker .

• SUPPORTING OUR TRAILS By DONATING $30/yr for a SWAMP FAMILY MEMBERSHIP!
  • SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • *SPECIALIZED & SCOTT* My SWEATSHOP BOUTIQUES!
    • PROEDGEBIKER.COM
  • Favorite Trail: BOYETTE/P-TRAIL
  • My Bike: 650b SPECIALIZED EPIC & SCOTT FOIL 15
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2009, 11:06:56 AM »
I have a few acres of unused pasture land.  What I don't have is much dirt above level ground, though I'm open to scooping out a pond.

Sweet! where you at?

Advertisement: