Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: GF Rig fork question  (Read 693 times)

Offline ericspin

• First Bike
GF Rig fork question
« on: September 14, 2009, 06:25:51 PM »
I have a 1st generation (black) Rig.  Read all the cracked frame stories so I picked up a 2nd generation (beige) frame on Craigs.  The plan was to switch the build over to the new frame.  In some convos with Tampa Trek I realize I should have done a little more homework as the 2nd gen. sports the G2, 20 mm offset, Fox.  Bummer.

Any of you guys tried the non-G2 fork on a G2 frame?

Offline ClintonRH

• Cycling Sherpa
Re: GF Rig fork question
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2009, 08:13:24 PM »
Non-G2 fork works just fine in a G2 frame. There should be no issues with running a standard offset fork, it'll be just like older G1 geometry. Only catch I can think of would be if the newer generation frame was designed for more/less travel.

I really like the G2 on my HiFi though. When test riding bikes it was the only bike I tried that really felt different in a positive way. Steering just felt very natural and intuitive. I absolutely hate switchbacks but on that bike they're not so bad despite the bike being larger than my Hardrock. Of course that's all completely subjective.

Offline ericspin

• First Bike
Re: GF Rig fork question
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2009, 05:17:28 AM »
Cool.  This is the type of feedback I was hoping for.  I see a new steel custom frame (Indy Fab or maybe Strong) in the not-to-distant future so I really don't want to invest in a G2 specific fork at this time.  I think I will go ahead and switch evrything over to the other frame and ride it awhile.

Thanks!

Advertisement: