Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Crazy Idea!!!  (Read 3185 times)

Offline Jim DeLuca

• Cycling Sherpa
Crazy Idea!!!
« on: September 18, 2009, 01:51:29 PM »
I'm thinking about removing my top and bottom chain ring, plus shifter, and just lock the front derailleur.  I figure since I don't use them might as well take them off and save some weight.  Any thoughts?

Online BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Intense Uzzi VPX w/ 'Slacker' dropouts
Re: Crazy Idea!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2009, 02:00:50 PM »
To do this the right way, you would want some kind of chain guide (I'd recommend an E13 LG-1 or MRP G2) to help keep the chain on the front ring as just locking the derailleur won't do a good job.  The chain guide will provide an upper slot (similar to the front derailleur) to guide the chain onto the ring from up top as well as a pully on the bottom to increase chain wrap on the ring and provide more tension to help keep the chain on.  If do you go through with your plan, shorten your chain to get more tension and also be a little careful when you start pedaling after a downhill section or coasting a bit as that is when your chain will want to come off - rough sections (due to shaking/movement) and times when you aren't pedaling (due to much less chain tension).
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Offline Jim DeLuca

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2009, 02:15:37 PM »
To do this the right way, you would want some kind of chain guide (I'd recommend an E13 LG-1 or MRP G2) to help keep the chain on the front ring as just locking the derailleur won't do a good job.  The chain guide will provide an upper slot (similar to the front derailleur) to guide the chain onto the ring from up top as well as a pully on the bottom to increase chain wrap on the ring and provide more tension to help keep the chain on.  If do you go through with your plan, shorten your chain to get more tension and also be a little careful when you start pedaling after a downhill section or coasting a bit as that is when your chain will want to come off - rough sections (due to shaking/movement) and times when you aren't pedaling (due to much less chain tension).

My front ring is already worthless, as I never purchased a new chain when I built my 29er.  What if I left the top and just removed the bottom, or just left them on there and removed the shifter and cable.  I have some really cheap cranks, and would have prefered to get a lighter pair, but now that I'm getting ready to join the ranks of the umemployed I'm looking at all angles to try to get my bikes weight down.  Thanks for the info.

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
  • team - independent self supported
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2009, 02:27:05 PM »

My front ring is already worthless, as I never purchased a new chain when I built my 29er.  What if I left the top and just removed the bottom, or just left them on there and removed the shifter and cable.  I have some really cheap cranks, and would have prefered to get a lighter pair, but now that I'm getting ready to join the ranks of the umemployed I'm looking at all angles to try to get my bikes weight down.  Thanks for the info.

I did this - I just locked a front deraileur in place to keep the chain from jumping off the front ring and it worked fine

Online BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2009, 02:29:53 PM »
The setup will probably work for you most of the time, but those times that it doesn't work, it will hurt or cause you problems.  Leaving the big ring (you could dremel off the teeth) will help prevent the chain from popping off to the outside. 

Online BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2009, 02:30:47 PM »
I did this - I just locked a front deraileur in place to keep the chain from jumping off the front ring and it worked fine

It works fine, until it doesn't work, and then it hurts.

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
  • team - independent self supported
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2009, 02:32:03 PM »

how much are those little E13 thingy's that you cool guys use?

Offline Jim DeLuca

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2009, 02:36:48 PM »

Sounds like it is best just to leave it alone.  I'm at 25 lbs now, probablly ridiculous to even worry about making it lighter.  But the shifter is a nuisance.  There shouldn't be any harm in removing that and the cable?

Online BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2009, 02:41:11 PM »

how much are those little E13 thingy's that you cool guys use?

$90 - $120...depending on model/on sale or not.  It adds a little weight, a little drag, but a ton of peace of mind.

Offline Big Hooper

• Cycling Sherpa
  • My Bike: SIR9. One bike, one gear
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2009, 03:09:28 PM »
Im running a 1X9 setup on my 29er with standard cranks. I put a bash ring on the outside ( big Ring) and running a Ngear jumpstop to keep the chain from dropping on the inside. It works very well and is small and simple. It is small and adjustable. Alot less bulky than a derailler.

http://www.gvtc.com/~ngear/
wherever you go.....there you are.
Just a big Hooper!

Offline ProEdgeBiker .

• SUPPORTING OUR TRAILS By DONATING $30/yr for a SWAMP FAMILY MEMBERSHIP!
  • SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • *SPECIALIZED & SCOTT* My SWEATSHOP BOUTIQUES!
    • PROEDGEBIKER.COM
  • Favorite Trail: BOYETTE/P-TRAIL
  • My Bike: 650b SPECIALIZED EPIC & SCOTT FOIL 15
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2009, 04:03:12 PM »
Chain Guide

Offline Kevin Bennett

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Space Ghost
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2009, 05:35:46 PM »
I have been running a 1x9 for about two years.  The first set-up was with a bashguard and ghetto jumpstop (Voodoo, then Sultan), then bashguard with a front der. (RIP9).  I have never dropped a chain with either set-up and I'm not a graceful rider (just watch my crash video  ;D ).  I have not run my bikes with just a der. and no bashguard, but your adjustment would probably have to be perfect to totally eliminate the possibility of drop.  A real jumpstop is like $13 and a bashguard can be had cheaply if you don't want to use your big ring (dremeled or not).  And yes you can remove the shifter and cable.
God is great, beer is good, people are crazy!

Offline Jim DeLuca

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2009, 05:49:50 PM »
Technically, I'm already running a 1x9, as my front derailleur is locked.  I'll probablly just yank off the shifter for now, and go with a bash guard and jumpstop.  Thanks to everyone's advice.  If this gets anymore confusing I may have to go back to a Single speed.  Just the thought of having 27 gears make me cringe.....Too much shifting for me.  Also interesting to see mostly everyone is running there 29er's as 1X9. 

Offline Kevin Bennett

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Space Ghost
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2009, 06:24:10 PM »
  Also interesting to see mostly everyone is running there 29er's as 1X9. 

Truth be told, I am seriously thinking of getting a new set of cranks for my RIP and going 2x9.  That is why I put on a front der.  I keep telling myself if I have a 22T up front, I will be able to make all the climbs that I currently can't....of course then I wouldn't have an excuse any more.  Maybe I'll just stick with the 1x9 a little longer.
God is great, beer is good, people are crazy!

Offline BeerCan

• Forum Moderator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • My Bike: Turner Sultan (V1)
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2009, 10:01:38 PM »
I went 2x9 on my Sultan.  Used a middleburn crank, and the duo chainrings.  27 and 40
"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture." Frank Zappa
------------------------------------

Advertisement: