Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Get involved  (Read 2600 times)

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
Get involved
« on: September 19, 2009, 07:34:59 AM »
For you folks who like some XC miles post up your thoughts, ideas, suggestions and wants - that would fly in a Nature Preserve - for planning for next year in the Quadrants at Boyette.

We ride them; we build them; we maintain them.  All ideas and suggestions are considered.  More emphasis on them if you actually come out and help make it so.

Lets make 2010 the year of the volunteer.  We, collectively, are who make the four trail systems what they are, or aren't.  Our regular crews would love to have help in what we do.

Garry Rosseter
SWAMP Club President

Offline eclark

• Cycling Sherpa
Re: Get involved
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2009, 09:57:05 AM »
Do log crossing have a place in a nature preserve?  There are 1 or 2 decent ones in Alafia so maybe it would be good there?  I would love to see a trail that had a dozen logs to go over, I would ride that everytime I went to the park.

Offline Garry

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2009, 03:23:02 PM »
Do log crossing have a place in a nature preserve?  There are 1 or 2 decent ones in Alafia so maybe it would be good there?  I would love to see a trail that had a dozen logs to go over, I would ride that everytime I went to the park.
That is one of the things on the To-Do-List for the Quads.  There are a few places where huge trees have gone down.  Without the bark on them for bugs to live in they last a LONG time.

Plans are for some log rollovers, and a log plank type deal, and smooth some of the momentum busting switchbacks.

It's also a two way trail, and will likely always be, so it will be widened in a couple of places to avoid head ons.

My vision is for speed, AND safety for those who want to ride it a little slower; with a couple HARD/EASIER options tossed in for fun.  The potential is huge, we just need plenty of manpower to make it so.

Offline Jim DeLuca

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2009, 03:43:50 PM »
I would love to see them just widened with fast turns, and maybe a bailout added to each leg.  Also would like to see something added in the Vista Ridge area over to the east.  I thought there use to be a berm around that whole lake along time ago.

Offline Garry

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2009, 04:51:29 PM »
Vista Ridge had always been what it is today.  There was talk about making it longer around to the South East of it, but it's pretty sandy back around there and other projects of connecting the trails had more importance.  No bailouts planned for the Quads as they are each only about 2 to 3 miles long.  North has a couple of emergency bailouts already near the two track; it's the longest two of the four.

I would love to see them just widened with fast turns, and maybe a bailout added to each leg.  Also would like to see something added in the Vista Ridge area over to the east.  I thought there use to be a berm around that whole lake along time ago.

Offline Jim DeLuca

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2009, 08:59:32 PM »
Vista Ridge had always been what it is today.  There was talk about making it longer around to the South East of it, but it's pretty sandy back around there and other projects of connecting the trails had more importance.  No bailouts planned for the Quads as they are each only about 2 to 3 miles long.  North has a couple of emergency bailouts already near the two track; it's the longest two of the four.

I'll rephrase the bailouts to maybe marking them better.  I have been stopped many a time by someone getting lost in the quads.  It seems that everything flows well with the exception of the quads it's like they are not part of the park Just my opinion.  I'm sure you guys have it worked out.  I'm gonna try next year to get in some workdays, and help the regular crews out.   

Correct me if I am wrong, but back in 1994 there was just the Quads, the Meadows and berms that circled around the ponds.  I thought that the pond by Vista ridge was one of the berms.  It's been years, so I don't recall.  Heck, the only thing that still kinda looks the same is water crossing to palmeto cable,  which I believe was the first entrance.

Offline $irWattZZZZ

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Ibis Mojo HDR, WaltWorks 29er,Devinci Atlas, Cannondale EVO
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2009, 10:39:17 PM »
I kind of like the Quads just the way they are, there are a couple of tight switch backs but for the most part you can find a nice gear and RAIL 8)

Offline ProEdgeBiker .

• SUPPORTING OUR TRAILS By DONATING $30/yr for a SWAMP FAMILY MEMBERSHIP!
  • SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • *SPECIALIZED & SCOTT* My SWEATSHOP BOUTIQUES!
    • PROEDGEBIKER.COM
  • Favorite Trail: BOYETTE/P-TRAIL
  • My Bike: 650b SPECIALIZED EPIC & SCOTT FOIL 15
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2009, 11:08:40 PM »
So I'm not lost, What & where are the quads?

Offline eclark

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2009, 06:11:32 AM »
proedge, the quads are the notheast/west and southeast/west trails.

Offline BeerCan

• Forum Moderator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • My Bike: Turner Sultan (V1)
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2009, 12:24:17 PM »
Someone once told me this when I was complaining about the quads.  "If your not having fun in the quads, you're not peddling fast enough"  They were absolutely right.

that being said, a couple log overs and other small obstacles might be nice.
"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture." Frank Zappa
------------------------------------

Offline Garry

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2009, 12:37:34 PM »
The lower Greens on the map.  Split down the middle with the sandy two track; Northwest, Southwest, Northeast, Southeast.
So I'm not lost, What & where are the quads?

Offline Garry

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2009, 12:38:52 PM »
...that being said, a couple log overs and other small obstacles might be nice.

Dat's what I'm saying.  :-)

Offline Garry

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2009, 12:45:21 PM »
Correct me if I am wrong, but back in 1994 there was just the Quads, the Meadows and berms that circled around the ponds.  I thought that the pond by Vista ridge was one of the berms.  It's been years, so I don't recall.  Heck, the only thing that still kinda looks the same is water crossing to palmeto cable,  which I believe was the first entrance.

Yes, that was about the extent of the trails. Along with the two track that runs parallel to Loch Ness, and where the bridge is we turned a jon boat upside down and rode across it - that was weird.  Also the two track levy that runs around the North Abyss, left at the top of Mt. Boyette, was part of the trail down to the end of the lake past the bridge we have now and back down the two track by South Abyss.  That little narrow trail was always wondering if the gator was up sunning on the trail.

Offline Darrinw2001

• At least this is a Healthy Obsession, right?
  • Yellow Jersey
  • aka "The OGRE" - Elite Epic Gonzo Soul Rider
  • My Bike: 2012 Salsa EL Mariachi Steel 29er and 2012 Salsa HorseThief
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2009, 04:45:04 PM »
...that being said, a couple log overs and other small obstacles might be nice.

Dat's what I'm saying.  :-)
I think those would be cool as "options" to get around some of the tight momentum killing switch backs. Just remember, some people who ride these trails (the quads) ride them because they are easy and they just like doing easy miles. I would ask that anything harder added be added as an "option" to respect those riders.

Offline ClintonRH

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2009, 05:52:16 PM »
I think they could be greatly improved with better flagging in the areas of pine trees. It's really easy to lose the trail back in there sometimes. Personally I haven't lost it in a long time but I've overshot many a corner where the trail looked to be going straight. In Northeast especially there are a few places where it's really easy to get yourself going in loops.

Advertisement: