Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Opinions on GT Bikes  (Read 4587 times)

Offline 4x4TampaTaco

• Clipless Mountain Goat
Opinions on GT Bikes
« on: September 21, 2009, 08:47:49 PM »
  I don't see a lot of folks running around on GT's, is there a reason? When I upgrade from my $400 Giant rincon I think something like a GT Force, or Sensor are up my alley.  Under $2k, full suspension etc.  Is there a better bike for the money in that price range of $1,700 MSRP? Just a question that's been bugging me. so there I asked... why aren't there any GT fans! lol. 

These are the two I'm referring to that I'm very interested in when I'm ready to upgrade:

http://www.gtbicycles.com/usa/eng/Bikes/Mountain/All-Mountain/Details/5912-G10FOR3-Force-3.0

http://www.gtbicycles.com/usa/eng/Bikes/Mountain/Trail-Marathon/Details/5989-G10SEN3-Sensor-3.0
« Last Edit: September 21, 2009, 09:00:54 PM by 4x4TampaTaco »

Offline $irWattZZZZ

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Ibis Mojo HDR, WaltWorks 29er,Devinci Atlas, Cannondale EVO
Re: Opinions on GT Bikes
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2009, 09:08:17 PM »
Did you not read the stop wasting your time post ??? Get the Trance X and Own it ;)

Offline mmountainbiker

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Favorite Trail: Boyette
  • My Bike: 2012 Trek EX 9.7 OCLV Mountain XTR/XT- RLC-FIT/Evol re:aktiv factory
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2009, 09:09:50 PM »
I remember when gt's were the shez. One thing is you can get them mail ordered which saves money on sales tax. Look up performance bikes (parts). they sell gt's . To get exact components from deraileur to headset call and have them e mail you component list to compare apples with oranges I remember you saying you wanted to upgrade to a reba for $400.00 . Well for $500.00 more get a gt frame with complete shimano LX component group with LX hydraulic brakes and a reba sL

http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/Product_10052_10551_1027840_-1_400308_400001_400328

Offline bikehard

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2009, 09:12:33 PM »
Take a look at Ibex... http://ibexbikes.com/Bikes/ASTA-EXP-X9-Details.html

A friend of mine just bought the Asta Pro for $1699 for a 4" Travel full suspension decked out with all XT drivetrain and a Reba Race dual air front fork, Avid Elixer Carbon and the bike weighs 26lb. 

It is a nice looking bike and you wont be able to find a better build brand new for that price.

I dont know much about GT's except back in the day they use to be good.
2008 Turner 5 Spot - 28lbs of Squish!

Offline catman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: 2016 Scott Genius 740
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2009, 09:12:50 PM »
Word Scott

I think people may be put off by GT cause they also make Wal-Mart'ish bikes. Kinda like how Mongoose makes $5k bikes but you can also pick up a clunker model at every single local pawn shop. I think the same goes for Diamondback,Schwinn,etc. Some of GT's higher end stuff sure is sexy though.
Part time mountain biker, full time roadie smiter.

Offline $irWattZZZZ

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2009, 09:13:56 PM »
I think he's looking for a FS mm, Taco talk to darren or Dave at A.J.'s they can get you on a Trance or similar for that kind of $$$ better yet, ask if they are parting with their 09 demo bikes :)

Offline mmountainbiker

• Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2009, 09:14:22 PM »
  I don't see a lot of folks running around on GT's, is there a reason? When I upgrade from my $400 Giant rincon I think something like a GT Force, or Sensor are up my alley.  Under $2k, full suspension etc.  Is there a better bike for the money in that price range of $1,700 MSRP? Just a question that's been bugging me. so there I asked... why aren't there any GT fans! lol. 

These are the two I'm referring to that I'm very interested in when I'm ready to upgrade:

http://www.gtbicycles.com/usa/eng/Bikes/Mountain/All-Mountain/Details/5912-G10FOR3-Force-3.0

http://www.gtbicycles.com/usa/eng/Bikes/Mountain/Trail-Marathon/Details/5989-G10SEN3-Sensor-3.0
If you look closely the specs are garbage and that means a 35 lb bike

Offline catman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2009, 09:17:54 PM »
Take a look at Ibex... http://ibexbikes.com/Bikes/ASTA-EXP-X9-Details.html[/]

A friend of mine just bought the Asta Pro for $1699 for a 4" Travel full suspension decked out with all XT drivetrain and a Reba Race dual air front fork, Avid Elixer Carbon and the bike weighs 26lb. 

It is a nice looking bike and you wont be able to find a better build brand new for that price.

Not hating Bikehard but why didn't he get a super nice slightly used rig for $1700?
Seems like he could be rolling on a sweet Turner,Santa Cruz,or even an Ellsworth for that kinda money. My buddy is on a next to new condition but a few years old Ells with high end components.

And I agree with Scott.......for some reason I always agree with Scott. Giant's rule!!!!

Both of those GT's have cheesy components by the way.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2009, 09:20:55 PM by catman »

Offline mmountainbiker

• Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2009, 09:18:26 PM »
I think he's looking for a FS mm, Taco talk to darren or Dave at A.J.'s they can get you on a Trance or similar for that kind of $$$ better yet, ask if they are parting with their 09 demo bikes :)
please take no offense. Trance are a very nice bike as I almost got one , but everyone got one.

Offline $irWattZZZZ

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2009, 09:19:05 PM »
The important thing is to get a good rear suspension design and fork upfront, components can be upgraded as needed. For the $$$ hard to beat that Trance with it's Maestro design suspension and a Reba or Fox fork.

Offline $irWattZZZZ

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2009, 09:19:58 PM »
please take no offense. Trance are a very nice bike as I almost got one , but everyone got one.
And why do you think that is?

Offline $irWattZZZZ

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2009, 09:21:44 PM »
Take a look at Ibex... [url=http://ibexbikes.com/Bikes/ASTA-EXP-X9-Details.html]http://ibexbikes.com/Bikes/ASTA-EXP-X9-Details.html[/url]

Not hating Bikehard but why didn't he get a super nice slightly used rig for $1700?
Seems like he could be rolling on a sweet Turner,Santa Cruz,or even an Ellsworth for that kinda money. My buddy is on a next to new condition but a few years old Ells with high end components.

And I agree with Scott.......for some reason I always agree with Scott. Giant's rule!!!!

I must agree with ya Cat, Giant RULZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ;D

Offline mmountainbiker

• Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2009, 09:22:41 PM »
Because they are a nice bike, but so are the epiphany's.

Offline $irWattZZZZ

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2009, 09:24:32 PM »
yeah for twice the $$$$

Offline catman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2009, 09:24:52 PM »
Because they are a nice bike, but so are the ellsworths.

Are you saying I'm a sheep cause I ride a Trance? If I had a dollar for every Trek hardtail I see I'd be rich!

Just playing with you MM

Advertisement: