Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Upper Tampa Bay Trail to be extended  (Read 2351 times)

Offline Dave In Odessa

• Clipless Mountain Goat
Upper Tampa Bay Trail to be extended
« on: September 24, 2009, 09:25:19 PM »
I'm SO psyched!  I read in the paper that construction will begin soon on the extension between the Upper Tampa Bay Trail and the Suncoast Trail.  This means you will be able to ride from Hillsborough Ave to Citrus COUNTY on a bike! 

I live less than 5 min from the Suncoast Trail and 54, so if I can ever find a decent paying job, I may have to find a roadie bike so I can start riding into town for things. 
07 Redline Monocog Flight 29'er 1x9 (The Snot Rocket)
07 Iron Horse Warrior 1.3 (The One That Started It All)

Offline ProEdgeBiker .

• SUPPORTING OUR TRAILS By DONATING $30/yr for a SWAMP FAMILY MEMBERSHIP!
  • SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • *SPECIALIZED & SCOTT* My SWEATSHOP BOUTIQUES!
    • PROEDGEBIKER.COM
  • Favorite Trail: BOYETTE/P-TRAIL
  • My Bike: 650b SPECIALIZED EPIC & SCOTT FOIL 15
Re: Upper Tampa Bay Trail to be extended
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2009, 09:27:31 PM »
I'm SO psyched!  I read in the paper that construction will begin soon on the extension between the Upper Tampa Bay Trail and the Suncoast Trail.  This means you will be able to ride from Hillsborough Ave to Citrus COUNTY on a bike! 

I live less than 5 min from the Suncoast Trail and 54, so if I can ever find a decent paying job, I may have to find a roadie bike so I can start riding into town for things. 

i love doing the 54 to 52 to loop in the park back to 54.. lil over 30miles

Offline Skinman

• Cycling Sherpa
  • My Bike: 08 FSR 29er
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2009, 07:45:09 AM »
Dave...I live just 5 min from the south entrance to the Suncoast. Where will the new section be? How will it connect? I may not sell my road bike if I can ride into town either!
"Dad, these pedals are terrifying!"

Offline Dave In Odessa

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2009, 05:37:16 PM »
The article said the hold up has been from two land owners who didn't want to sell.  The county has decided to go around those land owners by using part of Lake Rogers Park (just south of Foxes Corner on Gunn Hwy)  That is a great little park and my secret MTB cardio spot (don't tell anyone). 

The story also mentions the trail will have about a 1/4 mile of boardwalk to protect some sensitive wetlands.  Putting these two pieces together leads me to believe it will cross over Gunn, go through Lake Rogers Park, then go through the Brooker Creek Preserve and connect to the Suncoast Trail.  They also mentioned a parking area with bathrooms at the joining of the Suncoast Trail which will be very nice.

Where do you live?  I live near 54 and Gunn Hwy.

Offline Skinman

• Cycling Sherpa
  • My Bike: 08 FSR 29er
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2009, 05:46:28 PM »
I'm in Cheval. near the Ramblewood gate. I took my son to Lake Rodgers his first day on the MTB. Not very exciting but very close...good spot to go if you dont have any time!
We should ride sometime. I used to think I had "A" skills but after riding with some A-Types (Scott, Humberto (sp?)) last Tuesday for just a little while I realize I am a solid "B"!
"Dad, these pedals are terrifying!"

Offline Dave In Odessa

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2009, 05:49:48 PM »
wow, that will be a short trip to the trail for you then. 

Lake Rogers is great because it's close by, not very busy (during the week anyway) and they have water stops.  I'll go there and do laps without the camelbak.  Its pretty fun at speed. 

I haven't been on the bike in a few months, and even then I was a high C at best HAHAHA  Give me a bit to get my legs and lungs back and we'll ride.

Advertisement: