Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Anyone have pics of shimano shifter/avid brake lever combo handlebar positions?  (Read 1424 times)

Offline mmountainbiker

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Favorite Trail: Boyette
  • My Bike: 2012 Trek EX 9.7 OCLV Mountain XTR/XT- RLC-FIT/Evol re:aktiv factory
It was nessesary to remove the shimano XT gear indicator to position avid levers for true two finger brake application. Everything is within reach now but shifters are in the way when I need all fore fingers on grips for when maximum grip is needed. But if I move the shifter pod to the outside of the brake clamps, then the paddles wont be within finger reach. I must give  priority to the two finger brake lever position.

Offline bradluke0

• Huffy Rider
hi all !     here ya go.......one of the controls  and one of the bike........
« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 02:56:38 PM by bradluke0 »

Offline mmountainbiker

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Favorite Trail: Boyette
  • My Bike: 2012 Trek EX 9.7 OCLV Mountain XTR/XT- RLC-FIT/Evol re:aktiv factory
Thats the way I had it before but with barends my 2 brakeing finger met the lever where the avid logo is painted.

Offline catman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: 2016 Scott Genius 740
I'm kinda confused by this post.

But there is a possiblity that your grips are too long. This happened when we built the frankenbike #2 so we had to go with a shorter grip. The shifters were hitting the handlebar where it flares out for the oversized clamping area. I don't see may people running bar ends in Florida since there are not really any sustained climbs.
Part time mountain biker, full time roadie smiter.

Offline Skinman

• Cycling Sherpa
  • My Bike: 08 FSR 29er
Re: Anyone have pics of shimano shifter/avid brake lever combo handlebar positi
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2009, 07:21:52 PM »
Are your handlebars too narrow?

I ride bar ends and dont have a problem, but have a Sram/Avid set up and my bars are quite wide.
I ride bar ends only because I always have. Learning to ride in CA they were great for long climbs. Now it just feels like my hands want to slip off the bars without them so I keep them on. They do offer alternate places to put your hands if you get tired of the same positions on longer rides.
(I have had one crash...barend + vine + speed = DOWN  :-\)
"Dad, these pedals are terrifying!"

Offline bradluke0

• Huffy Rider
Hi all !  I am a little confused also . Are you saying when you brake with 2 fingers it interferes with the handgrip or shifters ?

Advertisement: