Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: attn: cyclo-cross riders  (Read 1152 times)

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
  • team - independent self supported
attn: cyclo-cross riders
« on: September 30, 2009, 10:05:51 AM »
I was shown the practice course at flatwoods last night on the TNR.  I am going to start practicing out there for the upcoming race season.  If any of you cross racers want to practice on sat mornings, let me know so we can meet up.

Offline ClintonRH

• Cycling Sherpa
Re: attn: cyclo-cross riders
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2009, 02:36:46 PM »
Making me regret missing the ride last night. But I didn't even get home til 6:30 so it was too late to play catchup.

Offline Latte

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Huffy Rider
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2009, 07:41:29 PM »
I know it is the same weekend as the FTF,but if you hurry up out of the FTF on Sunday you can make it in time to race! www.littleevergladesranchcx.com
Later,
Latte

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2009, 07:48:46 PM »
I am doing this race - it will be my first cross race....I have no idea what I am in for...lol

Offline ClintonRH

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2009, 10:56:19 PM »
I'm tempted. I wish it wasn't the same weekend. I'm really not any good at getting out of anywhere early.

I've been to other CX races but I've never competed. That plus my fitness level seems to have plateaued after strong early gains last fall and over the summer and I will consider it a personal win if I can finish on the lead lap.

I know I can probably keep up in Orlando if it's at the same place it was last year. That was pretty flat though there were some real energy sapping sections with soft grass. Last year I thought I could probably have done it if I'd had the bike to try it. Now I have the bike and I'm just not sure. I've been amazed consistently at how fast the grass just bleeds the energy out of you.

I can ride my cross bike for hours on singletrack. I've done the whole blue loop at Croom (minus the hard options) without a problem and felt like I was keeping a good pace but when I put the bike on the grass for a simulated cross course where you're pumping almost constantly without the coasting over and between obstacles and it's only a few minutes before I'm dying. Strange how that works. I suspect I may just be pushing too hard because there aren't other people there to act as speed regulators.

FactorE: do you have a GPS trace of the flatwoods course? I can see some of it from the the tire tracks coming down the hill by the bridge out to the one lonely tree then down and back up but can't tell where it goes after that.

Offline Latte

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Huffy Rider
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2009, 05:36:46 PM »
Hey guys, I can show you the course and we can do a few laps if you want.I have been riding on the ranch a few times a week in the afternoons.
Later,
Latte

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2009, 06:03:43 PM »
Hey guys, I can show you the course and we can do a few laps if you want.I have been riding on the ranch a few times a week in the afternoons.
Later,
Latte

sounds great - I would love to check out the ranch sometime too - I have never done this type of riding before and plan on racing the series..I joined USA Cycling and have a number now

Advertisement: