Author Topic: Alafia Double Blacks  (Read 9071 times)

Online E90X + 1.1.11

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • team - independent self supported
Re: Alafia Double Blacks
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2009, 11:55:11 AM »
I think costructive input is welcome. I think sometimes people come accross as whining and complaining. Perhaps it is because we are typing and not talking. There is no inflection so I can only read what words were typed. This post sounded like a whine. Maybe I'm wrong........

I wasn't talking about this one specifically - I mean in general ALL "we can do it better" posts by people that don't do trail work get slapped in the face

Offline BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Intense Uzzi VPX w/ 'Slacker' dropouts
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2009, 11:55:28 AM »
It is ok, fE, but there are many ways to do it rather than flaming away on a message board.  For example, I could send you a PM saying 'hey, fE, I noticed yesterday that you were struggling a bit on the sprints, have you been keeping up with your workout routine or was it just a bad day?"  or I could post a new thread titled, 'fE is out of shape sack o' crap'...see the difference?
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Online E90X + 1.1.11

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2009, 11:56:53 AM »
It is ok, fE, but there are many ways to do it rather than flaming away on a message board.  For example, I could send you a PM saying 'hey, fE, I noticed yesterday that you were struggling a bit on the sprints, have you been keeping up with your workout routine or was it just a bad day?"  or I could post a new thread titled, 'fE is out of shape sack o' crap'...see the difference?

yes - but I am an out of shape sack o crap...lol

I hate all the politically correct watering down of Amerika....if you can't take the brutal truth...go cry to mommy

Offline Skinman

• Cycling Sherpa
  • My Bike: 08 FSR 29er
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2009, 11:57:06 AM »
The first paragraph of the post was well stated.......then he called the work done stupid.....I can see how those that made those changes would feel insulted.

"Dad, these pedals are terrifying!"

Offline Darrinw2001

• At least this is a Healthy Obsession, right?
  • SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • Current Ride: 2009 Giant Trance X3
    • Trips for Kids Tampa Home Page
  • My Bike: Current Ride: 2009 Giant Trance X3
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2009, 11:57:09 AM »
a simple question - is it not OK to make a suggestion or have an opinion about something that you didn't help with?  Not just in MTBing but in real life as well.  I always here people complaining about the conditions of roads - they pay taxes but don't go out and volunteer to help fix those roads.  They complain about gas prices but do they go help out trucking the gas around for free or something....my point is...people come here time and again and make a suggestion and what they have to say whether valid or not always gets a rude slap in the face because they don't help wit the trails...how is this any different than every day life?

When they come here and start off being rude themselves is a lot different than what your saying Factore... This guy came in swinging, just like Halfbreed...
Please Help Trips for Kids Tampa!
Visit www.mtbyouthride.org to see how!

Offline drb81

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Cycling Sherpa
  • My Bike: is slow
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2009, 12:01:50 PM »
Instead of asking why changes were made or stating that he didn't like the changes, it appears that he came on here bashing SWAMP and all those that have volunteered their time.

last I checked you don't have to pay to ride trails that swamp maintains (other than the entrance fees to state parks, which as I understand goes toward the state and not swamp). Tell me where I can volunteer my time fixing roads and haul gasoline around by just showing up? My point is, one should try to understand/ask why a change was made before bashing it.
[/don]

Offline Darrinw2001

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2009, 12:08:01 PM »
Instead of asking why changes were made or stating that he didn't like the changes, it appears that he came on here bashing SWAMP and all those that have volunteered their time.

last I checked you don't have to pay to ride trails that swamp maintains (other than the entrance fees to state parks, which as I understand goes toward the state and not swamp). Tell me where I can volunteer my time fixing roads and haul gasoline around by just showing up? My point is, one should try to understand/ask why a change was made before bashing it.

Exactly! It would be like me going on the OMBA forums and bitching about the Vortex without a clue about the restrictions placed on OMBA or what their thinking was on a trail. Got a question about Alafia? Ask the trail boss Art... in a private email. the trail bosses are listed on the SWAMP website. A Post like this was done to cause a stir. Do you really think that is the way to get your point across?

Online E90X + 1.1.11

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2009, 12:09:00 PM »

I agree in this case - the OP was rude and in the wrong - I have seen on other occasions when people as reasonable questions and are friendly...they are met with the same slap in the face

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2009, 12:11:13 PM »
I love guys that ride 8" bikes in FL. If you don't like the downhills buy a hardtail, might change your perspective a bit.

I really love guys that complain but never show to help out. Especially the ones that start out with "I've been building trails for years". Show up and contribute in a positive way. You'll soon find out why things are done the way they are.
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Online E90X + 1.1.11

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2009, 12:13:10 PM »

I really love guys that complain but never show to help out.

my point - you can't have an opinion if you don't help out?

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2009, 12:14:31 PM »

I agree in this case - the OP was rude and in the wrong - I have seen on other occasions when people as reasonable questions and are friendly...they are met with the same slap in the face

Is it so much to ask someone who complains about the way the trails are maintained to show up and lend a hand? If one can't get out for the designated workdays there is the adopt-a-trail. Instead we get alot of complaints, and very little help. IMO it's disrespectful to the people that spend the time doing trailwork.
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Online E90X + 1.1.11

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2009, 12:15:16 PM »
here is a solution - charge people to ride the trails or do so many hours working before they ride the trails....don't complain about them having an opinion...make them contribute to use them

Offline ProEdgeBiker.com

• *SPECIALIZED* My Sweatshop Boutique!
  • SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • You Know It!
    • ProEdgeBiker.com
  • My Bike: Custom 09' Specialized Epic w/ Sweet SLR's
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2009, 12:15:53 PM »
I'm glad we have trails to ride, you'll never hear a Neg-Comment from me.

Online E90X + 1.1.11

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2009, 12:17:07 PM »
at least he didn't ask for a skills area jump park...that is the kiss of death...lol

Offline Darrinw2001

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2009, 12:18:19 PM »
You can have an opinion, but if you dont help out the ones who actually build and work the trails dont have to listen.... this is not politics. The point is if you have comments about how they are made, come help make them so you have real imput. does a Football coach listen to the fans? no... he will listen to his other coaches.