Author Topic: Enduro Damage  (Read 2073 times)

Offline Dan-o

• Cycling Sherpa
  • My Bike: NINER EMD 1X9
Enduro Damage
« on: October 05, 2009, 11:36:08 AM »
Anyone been out to survey the damage yet from the enduro races? Will it be rideable soon or is it needing major work?
wherever you go.....there you are.
Just a big Hooper!

Offline Harvey

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Cycling Sherpa
Re: Enduro Damage
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2009, 11:36:59 AM »
Don't even think about going there until there are multiple significant rains - Christmas is usually long enough. Seeing the damage so fresh is enough to bring a grown man to tears.

Yellow loop isn't used, so you can ride that if you really want. Hunting season starts soon too.

Offline Scott

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2009, 11:39:17 AM »
 :'(

Offline Dan-o

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2009, 01:08:07 PM »
missed the chance for the self supported 50. :'(  Guess I may try it around Xmas time
Just a big Hooper!

Offline Meerkat Surprise

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Amateur Billy Goat
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2009, 01:43:36 PM »
Assuming I'm injury free, I'll be there on Christmas morning. Last year our plans for 35+ miles were cut to 27 because of the sandiness from enduro-damaged trails. In those conditions, I was more tired at the 8-mile mark than I was after 20 miles at Boyette the previous week.

Also, we ran across a hunter out there last year on the south Red trail. I was leading and he was standing right in the middle of the trail holding a shotgun (and it clearly WASN'T intended for the still-legal small game). I'll admit, I was a bit worried, but we passed by (and by passed by I mean picked up the pace almost to an all-out sprint) with a simple head nod and a quiet "'morning."

Offline Dan-o

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2009, 03:27:37 PM »
alot of people hunt squirrels with shotguns. Probably what he was doing or maybe quail. I have passed hunters on both Croom 35/50 events. Hunting quail
Just a big Hooper!

Offline catman

• Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: 2007 Giant Trance 1
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2009, 05:30:09 PM »
Enduro racers are people too!!
Part time mountain biker, full time roadie smiter.

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2009, 07:20:34 PM »

Sure they are. And they should be able to go out and cut and maintain their own damn trails! JMO
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Offline Triple T

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Likes to pose in the parking lot.
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2009, 07:21:38 PM »

Are you going to tell us that cat lovers are people too?   ;)
Ibis Mojo SL-23.81 lbs.
Ibis Tranny-20.75 lbs.

Offline catman

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2009, 07:58:23 PM »

Sure they are. And they should be able to go out and cut and maintain their own damn trails! JMO

Agreed..thought they got that worked out now.

Offline Redriderpro

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Cycling Sherpa
  • My Bike: Ellsworth Moment
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2009, 09:54:41 PM »
'Cut there own damn trails?"

Don't go there, I made made many of those trails starting back in 1977 thru 1992 when laying out those Enduros, that was just a little before the SWAMP club  ADOPTING Enduro trails.

And for many years before me, there were others laying out Enduro trails there and none of them were MTB riders.

Having said that ( It's and old rant that has been covered many times in years past) SWAMP club does 99% more trail work there than the Suncoast Enduro club.

The problem is a) MTB trails are adopted ( most of them) from Enduro trails. I don't believe many if any of SWAMP layed out trails are used by the Enduro crew. ( Not sure about this year)
B) The forestry department mandates the Enduro trails available to be used. STB don't have the option to build new routes like we did over my 15 years of trail layout for the Enduro.

Dont want to share Enduro trails, get active with the Forestry management, convince them to allow either STB or SWAMP to build new trails ( I think there are about 15 miles of shared trails today?) so that there will be no shared trails. (good luck with that!)

Trying to have the Forestry to stop allowing the Enduro will be very difficult if not impossible. FTR & STB has a very good, long time relationship with the Forestry management. (This past weekend was the 30th year of the Enduro there)

The solution seems simple, but will be far from it.

The Suncoast club will be doing a work day soon to fix some of the damage. ( But not all as 64 miles or trail repair would take a while)
I'll be in contact with the trail boss to hopefully get them working on just the shared trail sections.

For anyone interested I will post the date for the work date and get with Bob to see if we can plan a work date at the same time.

Frank

"Big Dogs Like It Rough!"

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2009, 09:54:59 PM »

Agreed..thought they got that worked out now.

I hope they can/do get that worked out. I've only been to Croom 1 time and there is some stuff there I never would have thought to find. While I doubt it'll become a regular ride for me, it is somewhere I'd like to ride again. We could see where they went through marking the trails, and you could tell where the moto bike had been, and that was only 1 bike and it had made a noticeable difference. I can't imagine how bad it must be now, and that is a shame IMO.
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Offline Skinman

• Cycling Sherpa
  • My Bike: 08 FSR 29er
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2009, 10:14:27 PM »
Frank....What is the best plan of action to create new trails out there? I was told..."NO NEW TRAILS" in the forest, What can we do to change that?.

Paul
"Dad, these pedals are terrifying!"

Offline Redriderpro

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Cycling Sherpa
  • My Bike: Ellsworth Moment
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2009, 10:17:25 PM »
As far as I know as of my conversation with the STB trail boss Sunday.

NO NEW TRAILS!

They are looking at the workday for weekend after next, I will confirm Thursday.
"Big Dogs Like It Rough!"

Offline catman

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2009, 11:07:00 PM »
Who is this "they" you are talking about sfg ;D

catman-closet dirtbiker