Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Why do people get so mad?  (Read 4289 times)

Offline catman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: 2016 Scott Genius 740
Why do people get so mad?
« on: October 07, 2009, 02:17:15 PM »
Seems like you can't even mention road biking without someone totally going off about how they clog up the road, get in the way,etc. I've heard at least a couple tough guys say they'd like to open the door on a biker while doing 50mph. I've even heard some people I considered to be level headed just go off about them. Sometimes I wonder if all road bikers wore camo, dropped the spandex thing, ditched the funny helmets, had hairy legs,etc if they would be ok with the rage filled motorist.

I've been to several places in the world were cyclist are at the top of the food chain (and over 90% of the people are not lard asses). I can tell you it was great and seemed to promote good interaction between people on the street. Admission: On my way to Boyette the other day I came up on some roadies running three to four wide and for a split second I was like WTF. I was in NO rush to get to Boyette, which was within a few thousand feet of me at this point and there was NO traffic so passing was simple. Then guilt set in cause felt like I was one of these dudes (typically well overweight and totally inactive) who hate on the roadies.They were obviously having a great time and seeing that actually pumped me up a bit for the ride to come.
 I've had my share of experiences with the unfriendly, over aggressive roadie but overall I don't think they have brought this on themselves. People just seem to group them into the "they are different" category and then it is all down hill from there. Why do we not have much respect for the cyclist here in the US?

Note: I love a good roadie joke as much as the next guy but if this becomes a non-funny/hateful roadie bashing I'll just go ahead and delete this.
Part time mountain biker, full time roadie smiter.

Offline $irWattZZZZ

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Ibis Mojo HDR, WaltWorks 29er,Devinci Atlas, Cannondale EVO
Re: Why do people get so mad?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2009, 02:20:40 PM »
Roads are for cars silly roadies :-*
Unless your riding a Giant, in that case road away :D :D

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
  • team - independent self supported
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2009, 02:35:38 PM »
I think it is more FL - there a a lot of other places in the US that are way more bike friendly.  People in FL seem to be in such a hurry to get to BINGO or whatever that they lack patience.  there is a LARGE amount of rednecks in FL too.  Why would a redneck want to look at a bunch of fit guys/girls wearing spandex?

I think that educating motorists as well as over aggressive bicyclists could be very helpful.

Offline Big Hooper

• Cycling Sherpa
  • My Bike: SIR9. One bike, one gear
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2009, 02:38:29 PM »
I dont mind roadies. They usually have some women in the group who actually look good in Spandex! But...... I do hate it when they ride 3 or 4 wide even when there is alot of traffic ??? . These are usually just a few people going slow looking back at you like "WTF you see we're riding here so just go around!" Im sure Ill get the share the road speech next.
wherever you go.....there you are.
Just a big Hooper!

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2009, 02:43:04 PM »
getting behind slow roadies is no different than a tractor etc that is slow...they have the ROW and people need to be patient - the law doesn't say they can only take up enough room of the lane so you can get around...they are entitled to the entire lane if there is no bike lane.

Offline ProEdgeBiker .

• SUPPORTING OUR TRAILS By DONATING $30/yr for a SWAMP FAMILY MEMBERSHIP!
  • SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • *SPECIALIZED & SCOTT* My SWEATSHOP BOUTIQUES!
    • PROEDGEBIKER.COM
  • Favorite Trail: BOYETTE/P-TRAIL
  • My Bike: 650b SPECIALIZED EPIC & SCOTT FOIL 15
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2009, 02:44:09 PM »
Did you guys know it's against the law for bikes to draft of each other on roads?

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2009, 02:46:10 PM »
Did you guys know it's against the law for bikes to draft of each other on roads?

it is also against the law for cars to come within 3 ft of bicycles

it is illegal to listen to music through headphones on a bike

Offline Darrinw2001

• At least this is a Healthy Obsession, right?
  • Yellow Jersey
  • aka "The OGRE" - Elite Epic Gonzo Soul Rider
  • My Bike: 2012 Salsa EL Mariachi Steel 29er and 2012 Salsa HorseThief
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2009, 02:50:57 PM »
I have no problem with roadies EXCEPT when you are on a very skinny road w/ no bike lane and they do not give the cars room to pass becasue they are 4 feet from the side of the road. I have had that happen only once or twice.

I do not like riding on the road just for the attitude you wrote about Cat.. it seems most cars are aiming at you out there nowadays...

Offline ProEdgeBiker .

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • PROEDGEBIKER.COM
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2009, 02:51:15 PM »

it is illegal to listen to music through headphones on a bike

Yes but only on roads

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2009, 02:51:55 PM »
Not so true.  Link to the law --->http://www.floridabicycle.org/rules/bikelaw.html

Pulled quotes:
    *   A bicyclist who is not traveling at the same speed of other traffic must ride as close as practicable to the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway. A bicyclist may leave the right-most portion of the road in the following situations: when passing, making a left turn, to avoid road hazards, or when a lane is too narrow for a bicycle and a car to share safely. (see Roadway Position Explained)
    * A bicyclist operating on a one-way street with two or more traffic lanes may ride as close to the left-hand edge of the roadway as practicable.
    * Persons riding bicycles upon a roadway shall not ride more than two abreast except on paths or parts of roadways set aside for the exclusive use of bicycles. Persons riding two abreast shall not impede traffic when traveling at less than the normal speed of traffic at the time and place and under the conditions existing, and shall ride within a single lane. (see Impeding Traffic Explained)

getting behind slow roadies is no different than a tractor etc that is slow...they have the ROW and people need to be patient - the law doesn't say they can only take up enough room of the lane so you can get around...they are entitled to the entire lane if there is no bike lane.

Offline Big Hooper

• Cycling Sherpa
  • My Bike: SIR9. One bike, one gear
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2009, 02:56:54 PM »
Not so true.  Link to the law --->http://www.floridabicycle.org/rules/bikelaw.html

Pulled quotes:
    *   A bicyclist who is not traveling at the same speed of other traffic must ride as close as practicable to the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway. A bicyclist may leave the right-most portion of the road in the following situations: when passing, making a left turn, to avoid road hazards, or when a lane is too narrow for a bicycle and a car to share safely. (see Roadway Position Explained)
    * A bicyclist operating on a one-way street with two or more traffic lanes may ride as close to the left-hand edge of the roadway as practicable.
    * Persons riding bicycles upon a roadway shall not ride more than two abreast except on paths or parts of roadways set aside for the exclusive use of bicycles. Persons riding two abreast shall not impede traffic when traveling at less than the normal speed of traffic at the time and place and under the conditions existing, and shall ride within a single lane. (see Impeding Traffic Explained)

Thank you
wherever you go.....there you are.
Just a big Hooper!

Offline ProEdgeBiker .

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • PROEDGEBIKER.COM
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2009, 02:57:58 PM »

Pulled quotes:

Word Up!

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2009, 03:00:57 PM »
so it is ok to draft...just not side draft?

Offline eclark

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2009, 03:06:37 PM »
  It is not just a FL thing I am afraid.  NJ and PA are chock full of roadie haters.  I didn't ride pavement up there because of so many stories of beer bottles thrown out of cars and such.  Someone even told me of a sandwich throwing incident. 
  People always want to be in a hurry and get so agitated when someone drives slow in front of them.  It is made waaaay worse when the slow driver is wearing spandex shorts, day glow jersey and doesn't even have a motor.  Thats ok though, wether billy bob realizes it or not, his toothless wife is picturing my spandex clad azz when he roots on her that night.

Offline Darrinw2001

• At least this is a Healthy Obsession, right?
  • Yellow Jersey
  • aka "The OGRE" - Elite Epic Gonzo Soul Rider
  • My Bike: 2012 Salsa EL Mariachi Steel 29er and 2012 Salsa HorseThief
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2009, 03:08:26 PM »
  It is not just a FL thing I am afraid.  NJ and PA are chock full of roadie haters.  I didn't ride pavement up there because of so many stories of beer bottles thrown out of cars and such.  Someone even told me of a sandwich throwing incident. 
  People always want to be in a hurry and get so agitated when someone drives slow in front of them.  It is made waaaay worse when the slow driver is wearing spandex shorts, day glow jersey and doesn't even have a motor.  Thats ok though, wether billy bob realizes it or not, his toothless wife is picturing my spandex clad azz when he roots on her that night.

LOL!

Advertisement: