Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Chain Maintenance Needed.  (Read 1608 times)

Offline Joe Messina

• Amateur Billy Goat
  • Favorite Trail: Alafia
  • My Bike: Specialized FSR XC Comp
Chain Maintenance Needed.
« on: October 13, 2009, 09:17:48 PM »
Hi

Truth is I never cleaned a chain before. Sooo, rather than act like a know it all...Im askin,,,can someone show me the correct way to clean my chain. I have lube, I assume I need chain cleaner or something...thanks.

I can meet at any of the group rides on Sundays or any other day most likely...

thanks
Joe Messina
813-727-4555 ;D
Joe Messina
Peace Out beautiful People....just sayin.....

Offline Darrinw2001

• At least this is a Healthy Obsession, right?
  • Yellow Jersey
  • aka "The OGRE" - Elite Epic Gonzo Soul Rider
  • My Bike: 2012 Salsa EL Mariachi Steel 29er and 2012 Salsa HorseThief
Re: Chain Maintenance Needed.
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2009, 09:23:05 PM »
use a de-greaser like simple green or comparable... take chain off the bike and soak it or just soak it on the bike and let sit for 10 to 15 mins. hose it off and wipe it down, clean cassette and front chain rings with an old tooth brush and de-greaser.. dry and wipe off old grease. re-lube with a good teflon DRY lube (not WET lube) wet lube hold the dirt and sand. lube chain, cassette, and front chain rings, wipe off exess lube. you are done.

Offline $irWattZZZZ

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Ibis Mojo HDR, WaltWorks 29er,Devinci Atlas, Cannondale EVO
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2009, 09:24:37 PM »
Joe, if you don't already have one get a sram power link (removable link) for your chain to make maintanance a snap. Next retain that zephyer hills water bottle or the like and fill it full of any degreaser of your choice, insert chain and allow to soak, shake and allow to soak, repeat this process a few times. If you want spotless clean, drain degreaser and refill with a fresh batch or cut the top off the bottle and VIOLA, apply rock and roll chain lube or something similar and ride on :)

Offline Skinman

• Cycling Sherpa
  • My Bike: 08 FSR 29er
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2009, 09:30:33 PM »
WOW..you guys are good. I would have said blow $20 on a chain cleaning tool!. Its what I use and does work pretty well.
Good advice on the dry lube too.
Dont lube a nasty chain.  I made that mistake recently.
I will have to try the water bottle trick Scott!
"Dad, these pedals are terrifying!"

Offline $irWattZZZZ

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2009, 09:35:44 PM »
WOW..you guys are good. I would have said blow $20 on a chain cleaning tool!. Its what I use and does work pretty well.
Good advice on the dry lube too.
Dont lube a nasty chain.  I made that mistake recently.
I will have to try the water bottle trick Scott!
It is amazingly simple but effective ;)

Offline catman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: 2016 Scott Genius 740
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2009, 09:57:55 PM »
Buy the chain cleaning tool  and never look back. I use a Park Tools chain cleaner and citris solvent.
Part time mountain biker, full time roadie smiter.

Offline $irWattZZZZ

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2009, 10:17:24 PM »
The chain cleaning tool is fine, but you are dragging that wet but clean chain over those dirty jockey wheels, cogs, and chainrings not to mention slinging degreaser everywhere.. Get that chain out of the way and all those other items are a whole lot easier to clean. While you have the chain off, you may as well pull the cassette and give it some love with some Dawn and a toothbrush. This is my routine every three or four rides. Did I mention I get a couple years minimum out of my chains, cassettes, etc: A little regular thorough maintanance will pay off in the long run ;)

Offline Dave In Odessa

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2009, 11:57:02 AM »
I wipe down the cog and chain with a couple of paper towels to get the big stuff off, then use a Park chain tool to clean the chain, then lube.  No, it doesn't look brand new, but it doesn't need to, because as soon as you ride a couple hundred feet, the chain will be gritty again anyway. 
07 Redline Monocog Flight 29'er 1x9 (The Snot Rocket)
07 Iron Horse Warrior 1.3 (The One That Started It All)

Offline Darrinw2001

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2009, 04:11:00 PM »
I wipe down the cog and chain with a couple of paper towels to get the big stuff off, then use a Park chain tool to clean the chain, then lube.  No, it doesn't look brand new, but it doesn't need to, because as soon as you ride a couple hundred feet, the chain will be gritty again anyway. 
thats why you use DRY lube with teflon, much better in FL for keeping sand and grit from sticking... You could also use Wax lube, but I think teflon works better and is not as waxy... I use Finish Line Teflon Dry lube, works great...

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2009, 05:52:43 PM »
thats why you use DRY lube with teflon, much better in FL for keeping sand and grit from sticking... You could also use Wax lube, but I think teflon works better and is not as waxy... I use Finish Line Teflon Dry lube, works great...
Sometimes the mistake I see people do is use a dry or wax lube like White Lightening, wipe off the excess then hop on the bike and hit the trail.  It seems to work best for me if I let it sit and dry on first.

Offline Darrinw2001

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2009, 06:03:26 PM »
I put it on before I leave the house so it is dry when I get there... but you are right Gary..

moleminiman

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2009, 12:10:54 PM »
Pop off the Chain and the Cassette and put it in a 5 gallon bucket.  Pour Kerosine or Gasoline so it just covers the parts. Swish it around.........wipe it off............put it back in and swish it around.......take'em out and lube em up then pour the gas on something cool and light it on fire.  bam clean chain!!!

Offline $irWattZZZZ

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2009, 12:57:07 PM »
Pop off the Chain and the Cassette and put it in a 5 gallon bucket.  Pour Kerosine or Gasoline so it just covers the parts. Swish it around.........wipe it off............put it back in and swish it around.......take'em out and lube em up then pour the gas on something cool and light it on fire.  bam clean chain!!!
Fires cool :o

Offline Jim DeLuca

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2009, 02:33:02 PM »
Back in the day, gas is what we used to clean our chains, and bearings.....I am talking 70's.  The BMX days.  Well I cleaned my chain, crank, and wheel bearings, and once done found I had a nice set of matches in my pocket.  Since fire is cool I tossed a lit match into a 1/2 gallon container of the gas.  Afterwards, I realized maybe it was not such a good idea to do so close to the house and kicked it.   I don't need to say what happened next.  I'll end it by saying I still have a huge scar on my ankle, and have no feeling where it was burned the worst.   Also spent 72 days in the hospital.

Offline ProEdgeBiker .

• SUPPORTING OUR TRAILS By DONATING $30/yr for a SWAMP FAMILY MEMBERSHIP!
  • SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • *SPECIALIZED & SCOTT* My SWEATSHOP BOUTIQUES!
    • PROEDGEBIKER.COM
  • Favorite Trail: BOYETTE/P-TRAIL
  • My Bike: 650b SPECIALIZED EPIC & SCOTT FOIL 15
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2009, 03:11:51 PM »
I've been using Sylicon Spay made by GUNK for years now, $3 something a can @ Home Depot, u get 2 good cleanings of bike and drivetrain per can.

Advertisement: