Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Poll

Any one can help me please to get an Alafia trail map for my garmin 705?

0 (0%)
2 (100%)

Total Members Voted: 2

Author Topic: Alafia trail map  (Read 1589 times)

Offline Montecristo

• Forum Newbie
  • My Bike: Scott Ransom 20
Alafia trail map
« on: October 19, 2009, 01:57:58 PM »
I'm trying to get trail maps for my Garmin 705. I use a Mac and It's difficult.
Thanks in advance

Offline ClintonRH

• Cycling Sherpa
Re: Alafia trail map
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2009, 05:33:28 PM »
I'm working on it for myself. I have the file for Croom almost done and will distribute once I double-check a few areas where I think I gave myself some bad data. I'd also like to get labels for all those little named features and trail sections that people recognize by name but aren't marked on any map. I think I have all the official trails and probably accidentally some of the unofficial ones. The fire roads are marked on the FL-Topo maps that are freely available and atleast seem to be accurate where they cross trail. I can't really comment on whether they're accurate elsewhere. I'd like to find traces of the horse, hiking, and ATV hunting trails to have as references for those times where you need the absolute shortest way out or for those "wait I think I made a wrong turn, where exactly am I," moments.

I have several traces of most of Alafia. I think I'm just missing some of the double-track, definitely Gatorback and Moonscape, maybe the hard options of Rollercoaster, and that little piece sticking off the south end of North Creek that goes past the campgrounds to to the southern part of River Loop. I think I got all of River Loop last time I was out there including the parts that still had ankle deep mud, but I really need several traces to take the average and have a good map since the tree cover doesn't make for terribly accurate readings especially when the leaves are wet (water reflects and refracts GPS signals).

Offline ClintonRH

• Cycling Sherpa
Re: Alafia trail map
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2009, 06:02:57 PM »
[stupid time limit for edits]

Boyette, I think I have everything but Ridgeline's hard options, the lower line of Pandemonium, Garry's Loop, and I believe I'm missing Southwest as well. Pretty sure I don't have the double-track in the Southeast either. My traces of Golf Cart and Lower Spider Berm are all wonky and jagged and looks about 50 feet south of where they should be so I'll need to retrace those. I really just need to spend a day or two out at Boyette retracing everything because most of the traces I have there are lower resolution than what I'm recording now.

Flatwoods, I think I'm good for most of the trail with many overlapping traces but I need to get better traces of Indian and Gatorbait because the error rates for the traces I have are too high and makes it look like the trail erratically jumps all over the place. I'd like traces of the double-track as well.

I'd also like to put together an uploadable map of Lloyce Harper because until you learn that place it's all kinds of confusing despite being a pretty straight-forward layout. But I don't really like the hard stuff out there so I don't see myself going out there again. The penalty for failure when trying the harder stuff is too painful. There's just no room for mistakes or hesitation on so much of it.

If I ever make it out to Santos (I'll probably make a camping weekend out of it). I'll get what I can but will not include any of the crazier stuff unless there's someone with me the scrape me up and drag me out.

Advertisement: