Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: 29er on a trainer?  (Read 985 times)

Offline Alan

• Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Monolog, Bruce LeeRoy, Gnarvester of SSorrow
29er on a trainer?
« on: October 27, 2009, 08:43:46 PM »
Need to hit the trainer again.  Previously I had used my 26" wheel bike with a Schwalbe slick.  I'd swap out the rear tire when I was ready to throw it on the trainer.  It was a pain in the ass, but it was cheap.

My slicks obviously won't work with my 29er.  I'm also looking to go tubless, so swapping out the tire really isn't an option.  I'm thinking about picking up a cheap 26" rear wheel to mount my slick so I can easily swap out the entire rear wheel/tire when I want to hit the trainer. 

Any potential issues doing this?  If the hubs aren't the same width on the wheels, can I shim the cassette on one of them so that I don't have to readjust the rear der each time I swap the wheel?  If so, what do I use to shim them?

Offline BeerCan

• Forum Moderator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • My Bike: Turner Sultan (V1)
Re: 29er on a trainer?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2009, 08:47:14 PM »
width should not be an issue.  The only problem I see would be a geometry issue, probably minor though.
"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture." Frank Zappa
------------------------------------

Offline ClintonRH

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2009, 08:50:47 PM »
The hubs should be the same width and so long as you're using the same number of cogs on the cassette. You may need to adjust the shifter trim and stay out of the highest or lowest gear if the limits aren't exactly the same. Generally though the cassette is going to be in the same place on any wheel if the wheel was made for the same speed range.

Offline ClintonRH

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2009, 08:52:36 PM »
The smaller wheel in the rear may actually help with the nose down position that you'd get with the bigger wheel in the back.

Offline rob_squared

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2009, 06:58:40 AM »
depending on the style/make of the trainer some 29er MTBs don't fit on them. the tire volume is too large and the tire rubs the trainer's frame. if you put a slick on the 29er wheel you'd have better luck than with a knobby.

the basic CycleOps mag trainer i have won't take a knobby 29er wheel.

Advertisement: