Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Opinions on this wheelset  (Read 2775 times)

Offline jdk

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • I LIKE BIKES
Opinions on this wheelset
« on: November 03, 2009, 10:44:19 AM »
I'm considering building up a new wheelset that's a little heavier than my current wheelset. My thinking is to keep 2.35 or larger tires on this set and then keep lighter 2.1's on my current wheelset. Opinions?

^Me, while riding a Turner.

Offline BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Intense Uzzi VPX w/ 'Slacker' dropouts
Re: Opinions on this wheelset
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2009, 11:12:54 AM »
Another option is to get the King ISO rear hub with the Fun Bolt axle.  This is a more heavy duty axle with threaded inserts at the ends for the fun bolts.  You could also spec the stainless steel drive shell (more weight, more $$$) but my alloy one lasted about 7 years on 2 different bikes before giving me any problems.

The 823 rims are bomb-proof.  Those are the ones I run on my Intense.  If Mavic offered an 821 rim (i.e. a rim that sat between the DH-oriented 823 and the more XC oriented 819), it would be a good choice for a rear.
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Offline Jim DeLuca

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2009, 11:14:47 AM »
Why the 2.35's?  Just curious? 

Offline ProEdgeBiker .

• SUPPORTING OUR TRAILS By DONATING $30/yr for a SWAMP FAMILY MEMBERSHIP!
  • SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • *SPECIALIZED & SCOTT* My SWEATSHOP BOUTIQUES!
    • PROEDGEBIKER.COM
  • Favorite Trail: BOYETTE/P-TRAIL
  • My Bike: 650b SPECIALIZED EPIC & SCOTT FOIL 15
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2009, 11:22:33 AM »

wondering the same

Offline jdk

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • I LIKE BIKES
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2009, 11:24:08 AM »
Another option is to get the King ISO rear hub with the Fun Bolt axle.  This is a more heavy duty axle with threaded inserts at the ends for the fun bolts.  You could also spec the stainless steel drive shell (more weight, more $$$) but my alloy one lasted about 7 years on 2 different bikes before giving me any problems.

The 823 rims are bomb-proof.  Those are the ones I run on my Intense.  If Mavic offered an 821 rim (i.e. a rim that sat between the DH-oriented 823 and the more XC oriented 819), it would be a good choice for a rear.

I'd have to get new/compatible dropouts to use the funbolts on the 5 spot, wouldn't I ?

Offline jdk

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • I LIKE BIKES
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2009, 11:24:38 AM »

More cushin' for the pushin'.

Offline BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Intense Uzzi VPX w/ 'Slacker' dropouts
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2009, 11:27:58 AM »
I'd have to get new/compatible dropouts to use the funbolts on the 5 spot, wouldn't I ?

I don't believe so.  You just need the correct axle in the hub so you can thread the bolts in.  The bolts should be pretty much the exact size as the end parts of a quick release skewer they would replace.

Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Offline Darrinw2001

• At least this is a Healthy Obsession, right?
  • Yellow Jersey
  • aka "The OGRE" - Elite Epic Gonzo Soul Rider
  • My Bike: 2012 Salsa EL Mariachi Steel 29er and 2012 Salsa HorseThief
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2009, 11:30:44 AM »

I think he wants 2 sets of wheels, one for more XC riding (2.1's) for like WTA and other more XC Trails, and the bigger 2.35's for hevy hitting trails like Santos Vortex, Black diamond trails at Alafia and Boyette. Actually a good idea...

Offline Jim DeLuca

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2009, 11:34:53 AM »

I think he wants 2 sets of wheels, one for more XC riding (2.1's) for like WTA and other more XC Trails, and the bigger 2.35's for hevy hitting trails like Santos Vortex, Black diamond trails at Alafia and Boyette. Actually a good idea...

Too much cushin for the pushin!  I tried them, and I have to say it's like riding on pavement, but you need legs of a bull to keep them turning. 

Offline jdk

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • I LIKE BIKES
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2009, 11:39:18 AM »

This is exactly why I wanted to do it. Also on my lighter wheelset I use a small block 8 on the rear which doesn't really provide great climbing traction, so I wanted a wheelset I could run bigger and more aggressive tires on.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2009, 11:45:00 AM by jdk »

Offline Darrinw2001

• At least this is a Healthy Obsession, right?
  • Yellow Jersey
  • aka "The OGRE" - Elite Epic Gonzo Soul Rider
  • My Bike: 2012 Salsa EL Mariachi Steel 29er and 2012 Salsa HorseThief
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2009, 11:50:12 AM »

Too much cushin for the pushin!  I tried them, and I have to say it's like riding on pavement, but you need legs of a bull to keep them turning. 

Yeah, but he is riding a 26er, not a 29er.. 2.35" 29er wheels are HEAVY! Not the same at all really..

Offline Jim DeLuca

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2009, 11:57:08 AM »

Yeah, but he is riding a 26er, not a 29er.. 2.35" 29er wheels are HEAVY! Not the same at all really..

I ran the 2.35's on my Trance.  I found they made the tech trails very smooth, but once again, they take alot of leg.  I would have them for a 2nd set, but would not run them exclusively.  Should be a nice setup.

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2009, 12:10:33 PM »
FWIW I'm running King hubs with funbolts on both my Rize and my SS, and they are both setup for quick release. Not sure if Turner does something different to the rear of their bikes, but I doubt it.
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Offline Triple T

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • Balloon Knot Cycling
  • My Bike: Likes to pose in the parking lot.
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2009, 01:16:32 PM »
Just curious, wouldn't it be cheaper just to convert your current hub to funbolts, and buy another set of tires for when you're not riding WTA?  The 819s you have are strong enough for anything around here.  Unless you plan on doing some of the stunts at Santos.     ;)
« Last Edit: November 03, 2009, 01:22:05 PM by Triple T »
Ibis Mojo SL-23.81 lbs.
Ibis Tranny-20.75 lbs.

Offline jdk

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • I LIKE BIKES
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2009, 01:22:06 PM »
Just curious, wouldn't it be cheaper just to convert your current hubs to funbolts, and buy another set of tires for when you're not riding WTA?  The 819s you have are strong enough for anything around here.  Unless you plan on doing some of the stunts at Santos.     ;)

That would certainly be cheaper, but it's a PITA to change tires every week..

I tried a stunt once at Santos, but BillT stuck one of those lances jousters use in my front wheel and made me endo. Ever since then I've been scared of Santos.

Advertisement: