Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Lights for night riding  (Read 4771 times)

Offline CarbonCavy

• Huffy Rider
  • My Rig: 08 Titus Racer X Carbon
Lights for night riding
« on: November 03, 2009, 07:03:02 PM »
Speaking of night riding...This is something I've never done. At least not on a trail. I am, however, very interested. Any recommendations out there as to lights (i.e., recommended brand, helmet mounted, handle bar mounted, both)?
"Age wrinkles the body. Quitting wrinkles the soul" - Gen. Douglass MacArthur

Offline BeerCan

• Forum Moderator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • My Bike: Turner Sultan (V1)
Lights for night riding
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2009, 07:12:02 PM »
If you can afford them I suggest dinotte
http://www.dinottelighting.com/
"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture." Frank Zappa
------------------------------------

Offline ProEdgeBiker .

• SUPPORTING OUR TRAILS By DONATING $30/yr for a SWAMP FAMILY MEMBERSHIP!
  • SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • *SPECIALIZED & SCOTT* My SWEATSHOP BOUTIQUES!
    • PROEDGEBIKER.COM
  • Favorite Trail: BOYETTE/P-TRAIL
  • My Bike: 650b SPECIALIZED EPIC & SCOTT FOIL 15
Lights for night riding
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2009, 07:32:03 PM »
Speaking of night riding...This is something I've never done. At least not on a trail. I am, however, very interested. Any recommendations out there as to lights (i.e., recommended brand, helmet mounted, handle bar mounted, both)?

Im in contact with the maker of the Amoeba Lights, if you're interested, lets go in on some since i have 1 more person who wants one too.

This is the email from him with all the info:

Good Morning Carlos,

Thanks for the interest in my Amoeba light.  Just to let you know who I am, I am a 45 year old mechanical designer for a major medical device manufacturer in Lakewood, Colorado for whom I have worked for the last 21 years. I have a milling machine at home that I am producing my lights with. I also have two small children, therefore, I cannot afford $1000 dollars for a kick ass light set up so I made my own. I am now trying to help out others with similar budget constraints but desire the latest LED technology.  Here are some specifics on what I can do

I have chosen the LED/reflector combinations based on what I thought produced the best beam, plus parts availability and being able to modify them to fit my application. The total weight of the lighthead and battery is only 159 grams!

2x Cree R2 WC LED's (spot beam pattern) - ~520 lumens total output

regulated at 800ma. Single mode on/off

anodized aluminum housing (matte silver, bright silver, or dark bronze)

Optical grade Lexan front cover, rubber switch cover, Trail Tech connectors, waterproof cable gland

easily mounts with VELCRO

7.4V 2400mAh rechargeable Li-Ion Battery w/ 1.5 amp smart fast charger

Trail Tech coiled  jumper cable (for running battery in Camelbak vs helmet mounting)

~3 hours runtime - ~3 hour charge time with a total weight of 159 grams

or

2x SSC P4 U2SWOH LED's (flood beam pattern) - ~450 lumens total output

regulated at 800ma. Single mode on/off

anodized aluminum housing (matte silver, bright silver, or dark bronze)

Optical grade Lexan front cover, rubber switch cover, Trail Tech connectors, waterproof cable gland easily mounts with VELCRO

7.4V 2400mAh rechargeable Li-Ion Battery w/ 1.5 amp smart fast charger

Trail Tech coiled jumper cable (for running battery in Camelbak vs helmet mounting)

~3 hours runtime - ~3 hour charge time with a total weight of 159 grams

$200 dollars (plus $10 shipping Priority USPS in the USA) for 1 light head, battery, smart charger, charger adaptor cable, and Trail Tech coiled jumper cable.

$40 for extra 3hr batteries, $70 for a 6hr battery. I can also get a car charger for $20. Handle bar mount for $10.I can also do 6,9 , and 12 hour batteries.  I don't make any money on the batteries and charger stuff.  I charge exactly what I pay for them.

I will stand behind the quality of my lights and will be available for any service and/or upgrades that are required. I have been selling lights since December '07. Got Amoeba's all over including Hawaii, Canada, England, Taiwan, Switzerland, a large following in Eugene, Oregon, and too many others to list. Have had multiple customers run Amoeba's in 24 hour events, including multiple solo races. Let me know if you need any more pictures or information. I am set-up do PayPal transactions.

Having a family and a full time job, it seem like the weekend evenings are the only time I get to accomplish anything.  Takes me about a week from receipt of order until shipment.

Here is a link to the original thread that I started that has a lot of info and pics -
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=354430"]http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=354430

Here is a link to another thread that some customers have given their feedback on their Amoeba's -
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=403337"]http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=403337
I also have a blog with info and pics -
www.amoebalight.blogspot.com

Thanks again for your interest and I hope I can help you with your lighting needs, 

Jay Buthman

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
Lights for night riding
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2009, 08:40:29 PM »
Lights, good quality lights, can be expensive.  $150; $190; $250 and up from there.  Helmet mounts are great because wherever you look while riding, even subtly, your light is there.  Even better is have both - handlebar and helmet - but if only one I would choose helmet.  Light and Motion puts out some nice ones and like most bike parts and such as many people that you ask will be the different responses back likely.  Battery run time is a big one too.  I have Light and Motion Stella with about 5 hours of battery life.  I also have Night Rider with a little less than 1-1/2 hours run time.

Offline $irWattZZZZ

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Ibis Mojo HDR, WaltWorks 29er,Devinci Atlas, Cannondale EVO
Lights for night riding
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2009, 09:50:32 PM »
The light and motion stuff is very nice but pricey, I am using a Stella on the helmet and a Seca race on the bars with great results.

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
Re: Boyette After Dark
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2009, 09:36:15 AM »
ProEdge and All,
That with Amoeba is expensive.  Not as expensive as Light and Motion but still.  I have the 700 Seca for the bars ( > $500) and the Stella 200 for helment (~> $200).  Both combined give me 900 lumens for over 6 hrs on high.  Over 12 in mid and lots more in low.  The low is only good for road and camping. 

However, after seeing Forrest's light last night.  I am green with envy and feeling a bit stupid for paying that much for my lights.  His light was just as bright as mine.  It was slightly bigger and probably a bit heavy.  Forrest posted a link for a 900 lumens LED light for less then $100.  Sure it is only 3 hrs of run time on high and it may take a while to charge.  It may be slightly heavy then my light and motion.  But for $80??  Are you kidding me... WTP...

So this morning, I placed my order for one.  For $80 I should've just bought 5 or 6 of these things.  If for nothing else, it will be my backup light.  Check them out at:

https://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.25149

Offline BeerCan

• Forum Moderator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2009, 09:47:17 AM »
Well I looked at that light but it seems to have some flaws.  Here in FL we have to worry about thermal management and in that area it seems to fail.  Here is a thread about said light on one of my other favorite forums :D
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=232163

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
Lights for night riding
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2009, 10:10:39 AM »
What a bunch of light nUrDz  :P   

They pulled the entire thing apart just to rip the light a new one? wtp...  Sure it may be made in Korea or some 3rd world country, I don't know...  What do you expect for $80 900L 3hr run time light? 

Sure it may heat up a bit more then other LED lights and therefore it may not last you as long.  My HID light used to get so freaking hot I couldn't touch it.  My $500 LED L&M light may be better built to last me a long time but I paid a pretty penny for it.  For $80 I can pull a slightly brighter (less quality not so long last lasting) light to get me out of the woods and still ride at the same speed as my 700L L&M one?  I'll spent those $80 anytime.  After all, is my BACKUP light.  Backup to a $500+ quality one.

Here is my justification... if that $80 light will last me one year, I could have bought five of them to last me FIVE years.  I paid over $500 for my 700L L&M Seca.  I expect that L&M to last me 3 maybe 4 years.  So at the end, I would have spent less with the cheapo light but just as bright.  Again, I am only buying one and for BACKUP!!!  I never bought anything from these guys so if they stiff me at $80 that is better then being stiffed for $500 quality light. 

Do your re-search folks... if you are tight on wallet a $500 light to do occasional night rides may not be for you.  But if you doing 12/24 hrs or adventure night races, you gonna want to have a good QUALITY light.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 10:16:39 AM by SandPine »

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
  • team - independent self supported
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2009, 10:30:09 AM »
What a bunch of light nUrDz  :P   

They pulled the entire thing apart just to rip the light a new one? wtp...  Sure it may be made in Korea or some 3rd world country, I don't know...  What do you expect for $80 900L 3hr run time light? 

Sure it may heat up a bit more then other LED lights and therefore it may not last you as long.  My HID light used to get so freaking hot I couldn't touch it.  My $500 LED L&M light may be better built to last me a long time but I paid a pretty penny for it.  For $80 I can pull a slightly brighter (less quality not so long last lasting) light to get me out of the woods and still ride at the same speed as my 700L L&M one?  I'll spent those $80 anytime.  After all, is my BACKUP light.  Backup to a $500+ quality one.

Here is my justification... if that $80 light will last me one year, I could have bought five of them to last me FIVE years.  I paid over $500 for my 700L L&M Seca.  I expect that L&M to last me 3 maybe 4 years.  So at the end, I would have spent less with the cheapo light but just as bright.  Again, I am only buying one and for BACKUP!!!  I never bought anything from these guys so if they stiff me at $80 that is better then being stiffed for $500 quality light. 

Do your re-search folks... if you are tight on wallet a $500 light to do occasional night rides may not be for you.  But if you doing 12/24 hrs or adventure night races, you gonna want to have a good QUALITY light.

but the Seca 700s look so pimpaliscious

Offline BeerCan

• Forum Moderator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
Lights for night riding
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2009, 10:31:05 AM »
Well 1st DE will not stiff you, they will ship the item but it might take a few weeks.  I buy stuff from them occasionally to feed my diy habit.
Sure for B/U light it might be ok, but based on everyone's raving about this light more than a few people will see this as a cheap primary light.  I am willing to bet that it would be 80 dollars wasted.  Especially for people who might use their light more than 2x a month.  You are supposing that it might last a year but these have only been on the market for less than 6 months.  Once a few of them get over 1 year I might be convinced to try one.  In the meantime I would rather spend more to get nicer well engineered lights.
My needs are slightly different as I adventure race and the lights are used trekking, canoeing as well as biking.

Also you cannot compare the heat from a HID to the heat from a LED, if a LED got as hot as HID it would die instantly.

In the end I agree that people should do their research.  This may well be a great second system or occasional use light.  I guess my overall feeling is I am tired of the cheap throwaway CJ mentality.  I would rather spend a few $ more for something I can depend on.  $500 is not needed to get a quality light.

LIGHT WARS :D

Offline rob_squared

• Cycling Sherpa
Re: Lights for night riding
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2009, 11:08:04 AM »
i second SP's recommendation on the Magicshine lights from Deal Extreme. That will be my next set for sure....

Offline BeerCan

• Forum Moderator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2009, 02:14:37 PM »
It would probably be better to get it from geoman, shipping will be much faster.  Never bought a lite from him but I got my garmin there and it was a flawless transaction.

http://www.geomangear.com/

Offline CarbonCavy

• Huffy Rider
  • My Rig: 08 Titus Racer X Carbon
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2009, 06:28:58 PM »
Thanks all! In my opinion there's no better research than to get the opinion of the experts...Those who use the product. Your input (and passion) is much appreciate  ;D I didn't realize lights fell into the same category as religion and politics when it comes to conversation!!!   :o  ;D

I was leaning towards the Stella 200 for the helmet for starters prior to posting, but thought I would stir up some conversation. Sounds like many of you like the Light & Motion products. If the 200 doesn't prove to be enough, I may chose to fork out some extra dollars for a bar mount as an addition. Kind of sickening how such a small light can cost so much!! Then again, it's pretty sickening how much we fork out for our sport! A fun sickness, but a sickness nonetheless!!!
"Age wrinkles the body. Quitting wrinkles the soul" - Gen. Douglass MacArthur

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2009, 08:08:19 PM »
The Stella 200 (my current helmet light) is very small and very light.  Compared with other LED and HID bright systems.  It is normally bright enough to ride a decent pace.  I love the battery life on it.  It replaced my two HID lights I previously had.  It is more then enough light for commuting, road riding, and night group "social" mtb pace. 

However, when you get an HID or a 700/900 lumens LED light behind you, your body casts a shadow of you on your light from the rider behind you.  Making it a bit difficult to to ride with the Stella 200 alone.  Specially if you are not familiar with the trail.  But if you ride behind other "brighter" lights, or alone, no problem.  Just don't expect to keep the same pace you would normal keep in the day with it.  IMO, the stella 200 is NOT enough for night "race" pace.  Perfect for social pace...  I hope that makes sense.

Offline ProEdgeBiker .

• SUPPORTING OUR TRAILS By DONATING $30/yr for a SWAMP FAMILY MEMBERSHIP!
  • SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • *SPECIALIZED & SCOTT* My SWEATSHOP BOUTIQUES!
    • PROEDGEBIKER.COM
  • Favorite Trail: BOYETTE/P-TRAIL
  • My Bike: 650b SPECIALIZED EPIC & SCOTT FOIL 15
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2009, 10:07:20 PM »
i think i may still give the Amoeba a try.. Its "American Made" so it must be good. Just hope he gives a LT warranty or at least until he croakes.

Advertisement: