Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Sharing the trails with horses and hikers  (Read 1392 times)

Offline snaqtime

• First Bike
Sharing the trails with horses and hikers
« on: November 04, 2009, 12:36:21 PM »
Since I am originally from LA and also rode and trained horses for many years, I thought this topic might be able to be addressed by the Swamp Club members and maybe give some insight to the LA Park Dept, since Alafia and Im sure many other trails are shared by bikers and equestrians and hikers.

http://www.imba.com/news/news_releases/11_09/11_03_comments_needed_LA_bike_plan.html

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
Re: Sharing the trails with horses and hikers
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2009, 01:48:28 PM »
snaqtime,
welcome and thanks for posting...

Looks like IMBA is already involved so not much for SWAMP members to add.  But as far as close to home issues with horses and hickers/trail runners.  I still see a lot of riders NOT yielding the trail to runners and horses.  I had an inccident where a horse riders was thrown off her horse when we "walked" our bikes around her.  With horses, it is best to DISMOUNT and stand still until the horse goes by.  If the horse rider has stop and asked you to go by, WALK your bike.  My $.02...

The pic is very clear to me but I do violate with trail runners who run with earphones on blasting music and don't hear me calling out for the trail from behind.  I have spooked a few of them.

Offline Lynne

• First Bike
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2009, 03:36:23 PM »
I was an equestrian before becoming a mountain biker.  Horses tear up bike trails and bikes scare horses.  If there are enough trails to split fairly between the two groups, that is best.  Otherwise, everyone will have to learn to share.

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2009, 04:36:18 PM »
IMO it is best to try to avoid those types of conflicts to begin with. Seperate trails for both like Lynne stated works well. Naturally there are gonna be some shared common areas similar to Alafia, the problem is it only takes 1 bad MTB'er to ruin it for everyone.
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Offline eclark

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2009, 07:15:40 PM »
I felt very bad one day at Alafia when rolling through Northcreek catman scared a horse on the adjacent trail.  Even when the trails are separated there can be issues as horses tend to get spooked by bikes.  Generally, I dislike riding near them mostly because they scare me.

Offline luckynumber9

• Amateur Billy Goat
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2009, 07:54:33 PM »
at the caloosahatche trail we have horses and trail runners.  the horses have their own trails but they do cross bike trails. occasionally there is a conflict there.  the trail runners really only stay on the flat stuff and they do get out of your way.

Offline old gray goat

• Cycling Sherpa
  • Dudes Ride club
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2009, 08:06:00 PM »
Welcome Snaqtime
There is a lot of trail crossing at Croom . Like SP said I also get off the bike and let them  pass . And when doing trail maintenance I some times drive down the fire roads were alot of equestrians still ride I just pull over and turn off my car and let them pass.. I"d feel terrible if i was to spook a horse and have it take off with a rider .. that's my 2 cents for what it's worth.

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2009, 08:52:19 PM »
I felt very bad one day at Alafia when rolling through Northcreek catman scared a horse on the adjacent trail.  Even when the trails are separated there can be issues as horses tend to get spooked by bikes.  Generally, I dislike riding near them mostly because they scare me.

I took a big * chewing one day for what another rider did. Was on Rockgarden where the bypass loops back into that little stream crossing, saw horses on the other trail coming towards us and stopped, and got my whole group stopped. Apparently there was someone else ahead of us that didn't stop, and said some bad words to the people on horses. They were obviously upset before we got there, but calmed down some once they realized not everyone acted that way. I've also been in the situation where I came to that jump half way through Northcreek, the one in the little opening after the ridgetop where everyone stops for a break. We rolled through, hit the jump, and there was a group on horses. Nothing to be done when you're rolling 15mph. The best thing to do is seperate the groups, or accidents are gonna happen and the MTB'ers are the ones that seem to lose when that happens.
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Advertisement: