Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Brakes for 29ers  (Read 6528 times)

Offline Big Hooper

• Cycling Sherpa
  • My Bike: SIR9. One bike, one gear
Brakes for 29ers
« on: November 05, 2009, 07:28:31 AM »
For those that have them, what brakes are you using. I have the new Juicy 3.5 with 160mm rotors front & rear. They work OK but dont seem to have the power of my old J5s on the 26er. I would think that you need a strong set of brakes to slow the big wheel.
Any Thoughts?
wherever you go.....there you are.
Just a big Hooper!

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
Re: Brakes for 29ers
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2009, 07:45:45 AM »
Juicy Ultimates...  a 180 in the front is nice but 160 does me good...  140 too small.

For those not so crazy about carbon levers, you can use Juicy 7's.  On my ultimates, I have gone down several gravel roads for miles up in north GA and NC fearing I was going to break them.  I held on to those carbon levers like there was no tomorrow.  I have hit a few trees with them and only a few scratches but NO breaking levers yet. (knocking on wood)
« Last Edit: November 05, 2009, 07:51:08 AM by SandPine »

Offline BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Intense Uzzi VPX w/ 'Slacker' dropouts
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2009, 07:52:45 AM »
If you feel the need for more power, try a more aggressive pad compound before spending a ton of cash on new brakes. Spend around $20 and get a set of red compound EBC pads or G-Star compound Goodridge pads and see if that makes the difference you are looking for.
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Offline Jim DeLuca

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2009, 08:22:02 AM »
I have the same problem with mine.  Its like riding with wet rim brakes.  I know running a larger rotor upfront will do the trick, but I get by with them just as they are.  I might try Bill's idea, as it seems like a cheap fix. 

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
  • team - independent self supported
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2009, 08:58:35 AM »
it is pads that will make the most difference not rotor size - a bigger rotor size will help with reducing overheating on downhills...not a problem in FL

all a bigger rotor does down here is cause you to have more rotational weight

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2009, 09:02:33 AM »
it is pads that will make the most difference not rotor size - a bigger rotor size will help with reducing overheating on downhills...not a problem in FL...
Ride faster FE...  ;D

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2009, 09:03:48 AM »
it is pads that will make the most difference not rotor size - a bigger rotor size will help with reducing overheating on downhills...not a problem in FL...
Ride faster FE...  ;D

or use more brakes

Offline BeerCan

• Forum Moderator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • My Bike: Turner Sultan (V1)
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2009, 09:07:29 AM »
I use Magura Marta's and Formula K series and have had no issues braking with 160mm rotors.  I even used 160mm in more mountainous areas with no problems. 
"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture." Frank Zappa
------------------------------------

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2009, 09:12:26 AM »
I use Magura Marta's and Formula K series and have had no issues braking with 160mm rotors.  I even used 160mm in more mountainous areas with no problems.

yea - bigger rotors are 100% useless in FL unless you are trying to have more rotational weight

Offline Jim DeLuca

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2009, 09:22:12 AM »
Larger rotor plus caliper....more surface area, and this would not provide better breaking?  I agree 160 MM is enough for FL, but your stopping power is reduced greatly on a 29er.  Maybe pads are my issue, but I'm good with what I have.  Who needs good breaks anyway, as they can leave nasty skid marks on the trail.

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2009, 09:23:50 AM »
Larger rotor plus caliper....more surface area, and this would not provide better breaking?  I agree 160 MM is enough for FL, but your stopping power is reduced greatly on a 29er.  Maybe pads are my issue, but I'm good with what I have.  Who needs good breaks anyway, as they can leave nasty skid marks on the trail.

it isn't more surface area at any given time - the friction comes from the brake pads and the size of the brake pad doesn't change with a difference in rotor size change.

Offline Jim DeLuca

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2009, 09:31:18 AM »
Well I am assuming....that you would also increase the caliper, otherwise, yeah a larger rotor would be as worthless as things on a boar. 

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2009, 09:32:06 AM »
actually thinking about the physics of it - a bigger rotor is more rotational mass so given the same caliper/brake pads...you actually lose stopping power with a bigger rotor..you need more friction to stop more mass.

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2009, 09:32:38 AM »
Well I am assuming....that you would also increase the caliper, otherwise, yeah a larger rotor would be as worthless as things on a boar.

yeah - I think they are talking same brakes but just bigger rotors

Offline Alan

• Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Monolog, Bruce LeeRoy, Gnarvester of SSorrow
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2009, 09:35:40 AM »
I run BB7 on my Monocog and Juicy 5 on my Paragon. Both bikes brake well in all conditions, although I feel the Monocog with the BB7s has better modulation and has a bit more initial bite.

As suggested earlier, a more aggressive pad should help the original poster's situation. Just keep in mind you will go through pads and rotors faster with more aggressive pads.

If they are hydraulic you may want to bleed them and check for a leak. If you see fluid leaking or you can hear air in the lever area when you apply the brakes...then you need to bleed and look for leaks.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2009, 09:50:31 AM by Alan »

Advertisement: