Author Topic: Help with endurance training  (Read 1957 times)

Offline Alan

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • My Bike: 08 Monocog 29er, 09 GF Paragon
Help with endurance training
« on: November 10, 2009, 11:21:49 AM »
Publish
I need to get my endurance up to spec for the IDIARIDE. Right now I can get through 25-30 miles of offroad riding w/o a break at an avg speed of right around 11mph (at flatwoods). After that point I usually cramp up pretty bad. Nutrition/hydration are key to my cramping...but so is conditioning. I feel that it is my lack of long distance and endurance training is a huge part of my wall.

Due to my work schedule I will not be able to get any real rides in during the week....but I do have a nice trainer sitting in my spare bedroom.

What sorts of routines on my trainer would you suggest to help increase my endurance?

I was told the IDIDARIDE route was pretty flat like Flatwoods. Is this the case or is there actually a bit of elevation change and technical trails on the route?

Offline FACTORe

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • team - independent self supported
Re: Help with endurance training
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2009, 12:37:46 PM »
Publish
go to www.outsidesport.com and get on Grahams program - you will see super fast results

Offline Scott

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Scott Scale 949 29er, WaltWorks 29er, Trance X, Cannondale CADD9
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2009, 01:00:49 PM »
Publish
The Ididaride terrain is varied, mostly tame and relativley flatwoodish but there are some nice sections with small rolling climbs and dips as well as a section that is Sanfelascoish. There is at least a couple miles of  pavement and a few miles of double trak State Forrest roads thrown in as well. As far as endurance, start by building a solid base with some LSD (long slow distance) rides :)

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2009, 01:07:38 PM »
Publish
As far as endurance, start by building a solid base with some LSD (long slow distance) rides :)

I saw pink elephants for the first 2 years I was riding not knowing what the LSD stood for

Offline Scott

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Scott Scale 949 29er, WaltWorks 29er, Trance X, Cannondale CADD9
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2009, 01:20:42 PM »
Publish
 ;D :D ;D :D

Offline Robobiker

• Huffy Rider
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2009, 10:00:15 AM »
Publish
You can increase your endurance by riding Croom, all of it, or at least start out with 4 hours worth at a very slow pace.  Try to keep your heart rate around 75%.  Do NOT EXCEED 80% !!!!
You can not do a ride like this with your buds because you will exceed your target heart rate.  Pack everything that you need for mechanicals.  When you hit the sand slow down (75%). 
Do this ride 1nce a week and you will notice the change after 2 rides.  You will start smoking your buds on the group rides, move up a class , etc etc.
Either that or go with the LSD option as stated elsewhere in htis topic.

Enjoy
all those memories
 lost
   like tear drops in the rain

Offline Big Hooper

• Cycling Sherpa
  • My Bike: SIR9
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2009, 10:22:52 AM »
Publish
You can increase your endurance by riding Croom, all of it, or at least start out with 4 hours worth at a very slow pace.  Try to keep your heart rate around 75%.  Do NOT EXCEED 80% !!!!
You can not do a ride like this with your buds because you will exceed your target heart rate.  Pack everything that you need for mechanicals.  When you hit the sand slow down (75%). 
Do this ride 1nce a week and you will notice the change after 2 rides.  You will start smoking your buds on the group rides, move up a class , etc etc.
Either that or go with the LSD option as stated elsewhere in htis topic.

Enjoy
I am a firm believer in this. Ride here more often and for longer you WILL improve.
wherever you go.....there you are.
Just a big Hooper!

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2009, 10:24:43 AM »
Publish
to improve the fastest - get on a program and always ride with a purpose - go out and have your fun rides..you can combine specific workouts and fun rides together so you aren't just putting in a ton of empty miles

Offline Pariah

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2011, 08:15:46 AM »
Publish
LSD - or long steady distance is the key to good endurance.  You're not looking to race ididaride so moderate pace is fine.  Long slow miles will make you great at riding slow...think of it as steady...keep the same cadence, speed, and effort.  Start off in blocks 1 hr, then 2 hrs, ect....or whatever is comfy for you as a starting point.

if you can monitor your HR then Stay mostly in zone 1-2 (you'll go over these on any kind of climbing, but dont worry about those short efforts).  get 50% or more of our ride in zone no matter how long you ride and you'll see results.

Also focus on time in the saddle and not distance...  I usually take the distance off the display for these rides as distance doesn't matter.  be sure to bring nutrition with you, whatever works be it water and snickers or hammer endurance drinks and gels. 

that's about as secret as it gets for endurance...

just effffing ride.
WARNING  This document may contain technical data whose export is restricted by the Arms Export Control Act (Title 22, U.S.C., Sec 2778, et seq.) or the Export Administration Act of 1979, as amended (Title 50, U.S.C., App. 2401 et seq.). Violation of these export laws are subject to criminal penalty

Offline Singletrack Samurai

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • My Bike: Salsa Mamasita & Fixie War Machine
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2011, 02:24:35 PM »
Publish
LSD - or long steady distance is the key to good endurance.  You're not looking to race ididaride so moderate pace is fine.  Long slow miles will make you great at riding slow...think of it as steady...keep the same cadence, speed, and effort.  Start off in blocks 1 hr, then 2 hrs, ect....or whatever is comfy for you as a starting point.

if you can monitor your HR then Stay mostly in zone 1-2 (you'll go over these on any kind of climbing, but dont worry about those short efforts).  get 50% or more of our ride in zone no matter how long you ride and you'll see results.

Also focus on time in the saddle and not distance...  I usually take the distance off the display for these rides as distance doesn't matter.  be sure to bring nutrition with you, whatever works be it water and snickers or hammer endurance drinks and gels. 

that's about as secret as it gets for endurance...

just effffing ride.

Pariah makes an excellent point.

Focus on the time.

For example.  A fast rider solo could cover 50 miles in 3 hours and change, or it could take 5 hours or 8 hours.  The distance has not changed, just the time.  So focus on hours in saddle vs miles in saddle...