Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Loop Times  (Read 1306 times)

Offline kiltedranger

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • Fat Tire Fettish
    • My Facebook Page
  • My Bike: 2005 Specialized S-Works FSR 120
Loop Times
« on: November 11, 2009, 09:44:36 AM »
Howdy All... I'm new to the forums, and soon to be a new member of SWAMP. I've been Mountain Biking for years now, but I ride solo almost 99% of the time. I would call myself an "advanced intermediate" rider. I have top shelf kit, and decent skills... my issue is that I don't have a riding buddy to train with. So, I ride against my Garmin Forerunner 301.

I moved to the Tampa / St. Pete area about two years ago, but I have spent the last year in Iraq. I have ridden Alafia maybe 15 times, and Boyette only once. I find that I can clean just about every trail at Alafia with the exception of certain parts of Moonscape and Gatorback. As I said, I ride solo, so I don't have anyone to watch for technique, or pace.

I would like to know what some of you "advanced intermediate" riders are doing the Roller Coaster loop in as far as time... Let's say, from the picnic table, all the way through, back to the picnic table on exit. I love this section of trail, because it is sooooo fast, technical and smooth... nothing too terribly difficult, but technical enough to make it interesting.

Any input would be great. I ride with my Garmin every time, and have made some pretty good files / maps of my rides. It's interesting to see what my heartrate is doing at certain parts of the loop, and I can usually tell what section I am on, by just looking at the heart rate.

I have enjoyed riding Alafia so much, that I want to give back some of my time, and help out with the upkeep out there. I'm Active Duty Army, but I typically have just about every weekend free. I'll post up once my membership is active.

Cheers Mates!!!

Darren (KR)
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Online BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Intense Uzzi VPX w/ 'Slacker' dropouts
Re: Loop Times
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2009, 12:46:34 PM »
What days and times do you usually ride?  Ever been up to Santos?
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Offline kiltedranger

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • Fat Tire Fettish
    • My Facebook Page
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2009, 01:13:55 PM »
I have ridden Santos a few times, but I have not been up there in a few years. I remember it was fairly easy to get lost up there, without someone that knew the flow of the trails. I'm sure it's much better now...

I am Active Duty Army, and I just recently returned from overseas. I was here (MacDill) for about a year before deploying again, so I mostly stuck to Alafia. I have ridden Boyette only once. I typically ride every other Monday, and most weekends. I can get out during the week, given enough planning in advance.

I live in St. Pete, just off of Gandy... so, I am about 45 minutes away.

I would not classify myself as "fast" by any stretch of the imagination... but, I am pretty technically clean, and I just LOVE to ride. To me, it is my passion. When I am on my bike, jamming to my music, and hammering to the best of my abilities... to me, there's nothing better. I forget all of my worries, and just become one with my bike.

I have a very good friend that is slightly faster than me, just as technically proficient, but he's a Federal Agent, and just got moved to San Diego. I would love to make a riding buddy, that was a bit faster than me, that I could chase, and develop my speed. It's not about competition with me, it's all about having fun. My wife is a newbie, and is learning... but, she has no desire to ride the way I do... so, it's MY sport. I found this site by accident, and have been noticing SWAMP out on the trails (all of the signs)... so I decided to look it up.

I'm all about road trips too!

I was stationed at SOUTHCOM (Miami) for a few years, so I rode Markham Park and Oleta religiously. I also used to ride Razorback in Ocala, before they closed it.
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Online BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2009, 01:16:37 PM »
I usually ride one day on the weekend...this weekend it will be Sunday, but I don't know where yet.  I'll let you know.

I used to live down in Miami and rode Oleta and Markham almost every weekend.  Fun places.

Offline kiltedranger

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • Fat Tire Fettish
    • My Facebook Page
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2009, 01:21:08 PM »
I will be out of the loop this weekend, due to some work related stuff. I'm pretty much tied up until after T-Giving... but, I will be down in Miami during that week, visiting the in-laws. I'm taking my bike down, to ride Markham and Oleta for nostalgia... I'm also pulling off the TALAS and the SEPTUNE and sending them to PUSH soon, to be rebuilt. Can't wait to get them back... the bike will feel brand new again!

Shoot me an email and we can meet up sometime. It will be good to finally start meeting fellow riders.

Cheers!

Darren

Online BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2009, 01:32:36 PM »
Will do.  Good chance I will be down at Markham the Saturday after Thanksgiving to do a couple of loops.

Advertisement: