Author Topic: Oleta River State Park, North Miami Beach, FL 27 NOV 2009  (Read 1420 times)

Offline kiltedranger

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
  • Fat Tire Fettish
    • My Facebook Page
  • My Bike: 2005 Specialized S-Works FSR 120
Oleta River State Park, North Miami Beach, FL 27 NOV 2009
« on: November 27, 2009, 04:28:29 PM »
Ok, I was GONNA ride Markham park again today, but the Broward Country parks were closed on Thanksgiving, and the day after (Black Friday). My really good mate flew in from San Diego, and I schleped his bike down since I have been holding it captive in Tampa. We met up at Oltea around 10ish this morning. I just did a whole bit of maint. on his bike... trying to get him to get a new one. He rides an OLD Canondale Super V Raven (carbon frame) with the old Fatty Head shock, and SLX drive train (8 speed). Weighs a ton, but man is he fast on it.

We got ready to ride, and he led out. I don't know the names to ANY of the trails, so bare with me. As we entered the trail head, I was leading and got disoriented because I missed one of the logs that mark the lane. We got hooked back up, at the trail that follows, and stayed on each other's wheels the rest of the ride. We flowed as well as we could with the park, with neither of us experts on how the park is laid out.

I can tell you this... it's just as rooty and rocky as my arse remembers it. Very technical due to the roots and rocks, but if your suspension is dialed in correctly, and you watch your line, it's quite fun. I would say, the same as shooting... "Slow is smooth and smooth is FAST" applies to Oleta. It's not (at least in MY skill set) about outright hammering.

Oleta rewards smooth lines, and consistency. Nothing impossible, or even very difficult.

Gilligan's Island is the most fun on two wheels at Oleta. My Garmin quit on me at just past the 10.10 mile mark. I also know it dropped some GPS data that was not logged, due to the trees...

All in all, we got maybe 15 or so miles in today. Was a great ride. However, if I had to pick... I would do Markham over Oleta, hands down. It's just more my type of  trail riding.

Give me Alafia any day though.

Here's my Garmin Data...

Cheers Mates!!!

Darren (KR)

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/19690382
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Offline Alan

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • My Bike: 2009 GF Paragon, 2008 Redline MC29er
Re: Oleta River State Park, North Miami Beach, FL 27 NOV 2009
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2010, 09:51:53 AM »
Nice review. I have been meaning to check that place out for years. Seems like it is worth the trip down there.

Offline Singletrack Samurai

• Cycling Sherpa
  • My Bike: Salsa Mamasita & Fixie War Machine
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2010, 09:56:39 AM »
Alan.

My two cents.

If I was down south for some reason other than MTB, I would ride Oleta. But to drive down there, to ride Oleta, is preposterous.

Oleta is good if you have NO CHOICE.

But being that you do, save it for when you have multiple reasons to be in the area.

Markham is RAD and a tough work out, but again, I wouldnt drive just to go ride that place.

If I was down there for family or business, sure I would ride them.

Offline Alan

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • My Bike: 2009 GF Paragon, 2008 Redline MC29er
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2010, 02:50:24 PM »
Good to know.  A drive like that is a big commitment.  Hell...despite the fact that I know the trails are well wroth it my friends can hardly get me up to Santos because I don't want to endure the drive up there. 

Our main office is in Miami Gardens about 15-20 minutes from Oleta.  I should be heading down there at least twice this year so perhaps I'll throw the bike in the back of the wagon the next time I head down there.  I really love the area around Oleta.  Last few times I've been down there for business they put me up at a hotel on Miami Beach which was literally right across the intracoastal from the park (maybe a half mile ride). 
« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 02:55:22 PM by Alan »

Offline kiltedranger

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
  • Fat Tire Fettish
    • My Facebook Page
  • My Bike: 2005 Specialized S-Works FSR 120
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2010, 04:38:15 PM »
As I stated... Oleta is "ok". Nothing very breathtaking about it. The best section is back in the rear, called "Gilligan's Island". It's pretty fun... other than that, it's just a root fest.

I would MUCH rather recommend Markham Park. I'm down there at least once to twice a month, and I take my bike everytime I go down on business. MUCH better trails.

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Offline martin1

• Forum Newbie
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2010, 07:18:59 AM »
i know i m too late to reply but hope for the best.i am here to join you for just know and participate about this racing world :-)
thanks