Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Giant Demo Day's  (Read 2747 times)

Offline Jim DeLuca

• Cycling Sherpa
Giant Demo Day's
« on: November 16, 2009, 06:44:08 AM »
  Well, I went out to try out whether I would be getting the Trance or Anthem.  I decided on the Anthem, and was very impressed with the weight.  Needles to say it was love at first sight, and at that moment , I was ready to stop at the local LBS's and pick up an 09.  Reality set in when I hit the trail on it.  This bike had to be the most squiggliest bike I have ever ridden.  It did not descend well at all, or climb.  This bike would not track straight at all!   I'm going to blame the majority of the problems I had with it due to improper bike setup, and it does not fit my riding style. 
  In my opinion, even if, and thats a big if, it was setup correctly, I would give it the edge over my 29er because of the cool pop lock switch.  This switch was fun to play with while riding.  Seriously, I was never happier than to get back on my stable fast Giant (Voodoo) 29er, as the Anthem was not the bike for me, even at the low price!

Offline Triple T

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • Balloon Knot Cycling
  • My Bike: Likes to pose in the parking lot.
Re: Giant Demo Day's
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2009, 07:25:08 AM »
Uh oh.  Hope the Giant mafia doesn't read this.  :D

My guess would be improper set up as well. 
Ibis Mojo SL-23.81 lbs.
Ibis Tranny-20.75 lbs.

Offline jdk

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • I LIKE BIKES
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2009, 07:27:18 AM »
Oh boy , consider the can of worms opened

^Me, while riding a Turner.

Offline $irWattZZZZ

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Ibis Mojo HDR, WaltWorks 29er,Devinci Atlas, Cannondale EVO
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2009, 07:33:24 AM »
 ::)

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2009, 08:08:45 AM »
I can't believe you returned to that slow turning 29er...  I hope you find your red clown nose again....  What were you thinking???   :o   Must've been the small rotors on that Anthem.

Offline Jim DeLuca

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2009, 08:16:48 AM »
Hey, it is an honest opinion.  I own 2 Giants right now.  The fact is I found the Giant Anthem to be very loose, and unstable.  Probablly do to setup, but the Giant rep even admitted to me that it does handle like that.  Plainly my 29er is a better handling bike than the Anthem.  Also, it's not like  my 29er is a low end bike.  I just feel at a low weight, a 29er can perform better than an Anthem.  I also tested the Bike on NC, and normally never have to use any brakes,  and can pretty much roll the trail on my 29er.  On the Anthem, it was alot of braking, and no flow, as it seemed to get out of control.  Just my opinion, but my bike was biult for me and my riding style. 

Offline Redriderpro

• Redriderpro
  • SWAMP Club Member
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • My Bike: Devinci Atlas carbon 29er
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2009, 08:30:59 AM »
Did they run out of that kool aid you were supposed to drink before trying it out?

Or did Scott's mind control link fail?
"Big Dogs Like It Rough!"

Offline Triple T

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • Balloon Knot Cycling
  • My Bike: Likes to pose in the parking lot.
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2009, 08:34:21 AM »
Did they run out of that kool aid you were supposed to drink before trying it out?

Or did Scott's mind control link fail?

LOL.  That's funny

I thought Catman was supposed to be there passing out the Kool-Aid?  He probably drank it all himself.  He's like that.   :D

I put tinfoil underneath my helmet to keep Scott's mind control from affecting me.   ;D
« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 08:39:31 AM by Triple T »
Ibis Mojo SL-23.81 lbs.
Ibis Tranny-20.75 lbs.

Offline chisel

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2009, 08:42:54 AM »
i rode aj darrins anthem  a couple of years ago and that was the same impression i got. it seamed real loose and jaring. :-\  but it is light!

Online BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Intense Uzzi VPX w/ 'Slacker' dropouts
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2009, 08:52:42 AM »
I had a friend of a friend with an Anthem Advanced (or whatever the carbon fiber version is called) and his thoughts were very similar - it is a twitchy RACE bike...he liked on relatively flat trails but felt it got real sketchy when things started going down.  He said he would really take it easy on the bigger downhills at Razorback (RIP) but then open it back up on the flat stuff.
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Offline Darrinw2001

• At least this is a Healthy Obsession, right?
  • Yellow Jersey
  • aka "The OGRE" - Elite Epic Gonzo Soul Rider
  • My Bike: 2012 Salsa EL Mariachi Steel 29er and 2012 Salsa HorseThief
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2009, 09:14:07 AM »
you Know that the Trance X is what you need and like.. dont know why you would even try an Anthem.... love my Trance and it did North Creek and roller coaster with no problems! I did wipe out on Buzzard Bay due to me picking the wrong line and sand washing out my front tire, but the Trance handles all the roots and rocks with ease, and climbs like a goat.... you need 5" of travel...

Offline Redriderpro

• Redriderpro
  • SWAMP Club Member
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • My Bike: Devinci Atlas carbon 29er
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2009, 09:16:42 AM »
 rode aj darrins anthem  a couple of years ago and that was the same impression i got. it seamed real loose and jaring. :-  but it is light!

Light don't make it right!

a 22 riffle is a lot lighter than a 50 Cal riffle, but if hunting elephants with it, it might get you killed.

I'm sure somewhere there is a groomed XC race course with no steep hills and no roots where that bike would be just the right tool.
"Big Dogs Like It Rough!"

Offline Jim DeLuca

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2009, 09:30:59 AM »
I had plenty of Giant Kool Aid before the test ride, and was ready to purchase.

It sounds like I am not to far off base on my opinion.  The Anthem is light, and I'll give it that, and probablly would do well on flat trails.  I  found descending on it insane, especially on the little down hill on NC where you have about 6" of space to not hit the root.  I normally can hit that on my 29er, and have to worry about not hitting the tree around the corner. 

Offline jbennardo

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
  • My Bike: 2010 Giant XTC29er1
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2009, 09:32:57 AM »
I spent the whole day out there yesterday. Rode the XTC1 29'er, a Trance X and a Reign. I'm so glad they did this event because it gave me a chance to feel the differences in these bikes. I loved the 29er - loved it. I never understood all the talk about them until I rode one. It just felt right for me. Took it on Rollercoaster, Bridges and North Creek - butter smooth. I just can't believe a hardtail could ride that smooth.

I'm currently riding a 2004 Stumpy FSR yet the hardtail 29 seemed to be a faster and somewhat more comfortable ride. I dunno, decisions to be made in the next few months I guess. I just know what I felt and that 29 was freaking awesome.

Big thanks to the people at AJ's - they were so nice and helpful. Because of things like this they will get my business - and I live in Palm Harbor. Also met a lot of nice riders out there - I'm sure some of them are posters here I just don't know enough of you by face! Except for Sandpine... and I regret that. :D

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2009, 09:46:39 AM »
LOL... I got an extra pair of clown shoes and red nose ready for you!

Advertisement: