Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: I want to buy a F/S frame, what measurements would I need to keep existing parts  (Read 2725 times)

Offline mmountainbiker

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Favorite Trail: Boyette
  • My Bike: 2012 Trek EX 9.7 OCLV Mountain XTR/XT- RLC-FIT/Evol re:aktiv factory
I have a new trek with good components. If I wanted to use these parts and transfer them to a new f/s frame what measurements would I need with this new frame to be able to use all the parts on my old frame?
For example head tube length,BB width ect.

Offline bikehard

• Clipless Mountain Goat
I have a new trek with good components. If I wanted to use these parts and transfer them to a new f/s frame what measurements would I need with this new frame to be able to use all the parts on my old frame?

Seat tube size and clamp
bb size
steer tube length from old fork to make sure it fits new head tube w/ spacers etc.. assuming it is still 1 1/8" ht.

If your getting a FS frame buy the frame you want and match components to it.. not a frame to match components.. make sense?

2008 Turner 5 Spot - 28lbs of Squish!

Offline mmountainbiker

• Ninja Master Cyclist

Seat tube size and clamp
bb size
steer tube length from old fork to make sure it fits new head tube w/ spacers etc.. assuming it is still 1 1/8" ht.

If your getting a FS frame buy the frame you want and match components to it.. not a frame to match components.. make sense?
Thanks for responding BH but if I got a frame and the front shox wont fit, that would be an extra 500 to 700 dollars. Seatpost wouldnt be important because that would be 70 dollars as would a bottom bracket.
Certainly a 29nr would mean new front suspension and wheels@ 1100 dollars. so no I would TRY to get a frame to match my components.
So from what you said the most important measurement is steer tube length.
What about wheels and brakes? Are they standardized?
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 07:13:41 PM by mm »

Offline ProEdgeBiker .

• SUPPORTING OUR TRAILS By DONATING $30/yr for a SWAMP FAMILY MEMBERSHIP!
  • SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • *SPECIALIZED & SCOTT* My SWEATSHOP BOUTIQUES!
    • PROEDGEBIKER.COM
  • Favorite Trail: BOYETTE/P-TRAIL
  • My Bike: 650b SPECIALIZED EPIC & SCOTT FOIL 15
why dont you buy a complete bike.. im sure you can get good $$$ for your complete bike.

Offline bikehard

• Clipless Mountain Goat
depending on how much travel u want in a FS make the sure the fork u put on there is right for that frame's geometry and manufacture recommended travel.

You would be surprised how cheap you can get a nice fork for.
2008 Turner 5 Spot - 28lbs of Squish!

Offline Jim DeLuca

• Cycling Sherpa
Take it from someone who learned the hard way on building a bike.  First take PE's advise, and buy a complete bike unless you are doing it to have a custom bike made just for you.  If this is the case I would use pretty much all new parts, as you will be replacing the old parts you use later.  I ended up taking almost a year just to get my bike 95% complete because I used old parts when I first built it.  I still have junky rims and brakes, but have spent an unbelievable amount of money on it.  If I had to due it over I would have bought a complete bike and upgraded it.  To sum it up, I have a bike that is worth about 600.00, and probably have 4x's that amount into it. 

Offline steve

• Cycling Sherpa
Make it easy on yourself and buy my carbon f\s already built up and ready to ride

Offline mmountainbiker

• Ninja Master Cyclist
I guess the concencus is to buy a complete bike. I wonder how much a well equiped f/s with decent parts is?
 One with the level of componenys I currently have would be at least 2700 dollars. I figured I could find a 1500 frame somewhere and put my current parts on there. I doubt if I could get 1200 for my bike no matter how meticulous it was maintained.

Offline $irWattZZZZ

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Ibis Mojo HDR, WaltWorks 29er,Devinci Atlas, Cannondale EVO
DarrinW just bought a sweet 09 complete for around what your looking to pay for a frame ;)

Offline ProEdgeBiker .

• SUPPORTING OUR TRAILS By DONATING $30/yr for a SWAMP FAMILY MEMBERSHIP!
  • SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • *SPECIALIZED & SCOTT* My SWEATSHOP BOUTIQUES!
    • PROEDGEBIKER.COM
  • Favorite Trail: BOYETTE/P-TRAIL
  • My Bike: 650b SPECIALIZED EPIC & SCOTT FOIL 15
I guess the concencus is to buy a complete bike. I wonder how much a well equiped f/s with decent parts is?
 One with the level of componenys I currently have would be at least 2700 dollars. I figured I could find a 1500 frame somewhere and put my current parts on there. I doubt if I could get 1200 for my bike no matter how meticulous it was maintained.

I'm sure it's not just me, but i always buy a complete bike and swap out the components to the old bike. by doing that when i purchased my new bikes, i was able to get $1800 for my 07' Epic, and the dude that bought it, virtually got a brand new bike other than the frame.. he's still happy as a swine flu pig in Shizznit.

Offline eclark

• Cycling Sherpa
If you decide to just buy the frame, make sure the fork fits.  Prolly 1 1/8 steer tube and make sure the head tubes are about the same.  Wheels/ brakes/ drive train will be universal, might need a BB or seatpost, which can both be gotten on the cheap.  I agree that you can prolly get a great deal on a bike, but you can also find some really good deals on frames out there.  Good luck with the new bike either way.

Offline Darrinw2001

• At least this is a Healthy Obsession, right?
  • Yellow Jersey
  • aka "The OGRE" - Elite Epic Gonzo Soul Rider
  • My Bike: 2012 Salsa EL Mariachi Steel 29er and 2012 Salsa HorseThief

you can get a great deal on left over 09's right now... but if you want to look at a frame, look at this one  http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/18422-175_SETAC8-3-Parts-60-Frames/Sette-Ace-XC-Frame-W_Rockshox-Monarch-3.3.htm  Frank Truluk's (Redriderpro) friend built up a bike using the other Sette All Mountian frame and he said it rides great.. this would most likley fit all your components
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 09:34:59 PM by Darrinw2001 »

Offline Jim DeLuca

• Cycling Sherpa
There are a few 09 Giants going for unbelievable prices.  1500.00 if not less will get you alot of bike.  As of Sat. there were 15 med. Anthem's according to the Giant Rep. 

Offline Darrinw2001

• Yellow Jersey
There are a few 09 Giants going for unbelievable prices.  1500.00 if not less will get you alot of bike.  As of Sat. there were 15 med. Anthem's according to the Giant Rep. 

I agree... My Trance X3 was a smoking hot deal........

Offline Darrinw2001

• Yellow Jersey
I know that Just Ride Bicycles in Riverview (Trek Dealer) had an 08' GF Caliber that he was going to sell me for around $1300... have him switch out what you want and sell the Trek...

Advertisement: