Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: What truck would you buy  (Read 6524 times)

Offline catman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: 2016 Scott Genius 740
What truck would you buy
« on: November 23, 2009, 11:16:29 AM »
I have to buy a new truck every four years per company policy and I'm having a bit of a hard time deciding which one is for me this time around. I've only somewhat recently gotten away from my super eco friendly VW diesels so as you can imagine I know nothing about trucks. I made the mistake of buying mid size last time (Nissan Frontier) and the damn thing ended up getting lower MPG than some full size trucks and didn't really cost less once I added all the extras??? Plus, bike trips were a little cramped with four people, or three for that matter. Other than the easy to park and room in the driveway factor, I really don't see the advantage of buying a mid size truck.

It has to have four doors and must be at least mid sized.  I can basically get whatever I want within reason (no King Rancher F350) as long as it at least appears to be full sized. I will barely if ever pull anything with it so no need for a giant diesel engine.I can do a SUV or even a full size car if I wanted but the truck works out very well for bike trips as well as carrying stuff for work. I really don't want to do a hitch rack or fight to get the bikes in the back of a SUV.

To save time, I should mention that the new Ford F150's actually give me neck pain due to their feminine looking grill and tail lights so unless they are selling them for half price I can't imagine I'm going to get a ford. Other than that I don't think I'll mention which one I'm heavily leaning towards. There are two brands in the parking lot at work and I keep switching back and forth between them. Hell, I make this out to be such a sucky situation but I get to buy a new truck and don't even have to pay for it  ;)

What would you truck owners buy if you needed a new one?
Part time mountain biker, full time roadie smiter.

Offline ProEdgeBiker .

• SUPPORTING OUR TRAILS By DONATING $30/yr for a SWAMP FAMILY MEMBERSHIP!
  • SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • *SPECIALIZED & SCOTT* My SWEATSHOP BOUTIQUES!
    • PROEDGEBIKER.COM
  • Favorite Trail: BOYETTE/P-TRAIL
  • My Bike: 650b SPECIALIZED EPIC & SCOTT FOIL 15
Re: What truck would you buy
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2009, 11:24:01 AM »
SUV here

Offline jdk

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • I LIKE BIKES
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2009, 11:25:04 AM »
Well, catman, I'd buy a Toyota Tundra.

^Me, while riding a Turner.

Offline Skinman

• Cycling Sherpa
  • My Bike: 08 FSR 29er
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2009, 11:40:18 AM »
I dont really like the new Ford bodies but my 2001 F150 has 135k on it and still purrs like a kitten. If you change your mind make sure you get the bigger engine offered in the F150.

I am also driving a 2006 Chevy 2500 HD. Super powerfull but I think the inside is cheap and stuff is falling apart. I wouldnt buy a Chevy.

If I had the money it would be a toss up between Toyota and Ford.

Just my opinions.....my Ford gets my family of 5 and all our stuff around quite nicely.
"Dad, these pedals are terrifying!"

Offline firebiker

• Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2009, 11:57:26 AM »
I got my first Toyota a little over a year ago and love it. It's the first time I've owned a foriegn model. It came down to reliability and cost after purchase. The Toyotas hold their value best in general. I have a F550 also for work. I don't love it but it serves my needs.   
My bike is more than a toy; it's my vessel.

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2009, 12:05:31 PM »
I have an '01 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab V-6.  188,000 miles so far and I love it.  Last year - 150,000 miles - I had the transmission overhauled with a 3 year warranty.  Depending on my lead foot I get about 17/18 city and 21 hwy.  The back seat is full size and people have mentioned it's comfortable too.  I'm 6'2" and I can set the front seat comfortable for me, get in the back seat and have knee room.  Dodge has good quality from what I have heard; bought one and now experience that.

Offline catman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2009, 12:06:38 PM »
Had F550's for work and they were outstanding compared to the one Chevy they bought me to try out. Had to change the slave cyl in the clutch every freaking 17K miles!!! God I hated changing that after the first two or so. Traded it in early. Ford would leave me standed a few times a year with bad injectors but at least it was a free day at work unless it happened on the way home  >:(

Offline catman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2009, 12:09:02 PM »
I have an '01 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab V-6.  188,000 miles so far and I love it.  Last year - 150,000 miles - I had the transmission overhauled with a 3 year warranty.  Depending on my lead foot I get about 17/18 city and 21 hwy.  The back seat is full size and people have mentioned it's comfortable too.  I'm 6'2" and I can set the front seat comfortable for me, get in the back seat and have knee room.  Dodge has good quality from what I have heard; bought one and now experience that.

Guy at work likes his 07 dakota but I think I'd really kick my own ass if I go mid size again. Full size gets 20mpg hwy which is where I do most of my driving.

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2009, 12:11:15 PM »
Their full size gets good mileage, and I don't think you can go wrong with Dodge quality.  I chose the Dakota for size reasons, plus I just liked the truck in general.  I could have gone full size and likely would have been just as happy with performance and reliability.

Offline firebiker

• Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2009, 12:11:45 PM »
Had F550's for work and they were outstanding compared to the one Chevy they bought me to try out. Had to change the slave cyl in the clutch every freaking 17K miles!!! God I hated changing that after the first two or so. Traded it in early. Ford would leave me standed a few times a year with bad injectors but at least it was a free day at work unless it happened on the way home  >:(

Yeah. I had the same issue with the 2003 I had for work. I don't know if that injector problem is worked out or not. It sucked though. The one I have now is a 2009. It doesn't do as well off-road as the 2003 did though.

Offline catman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2009, 12:14:26 PM »
My F550's had hydraulically activated injectors so if one sprug a leak it shut down the engine. Many a hour sitting on the side of some lonely country road waiting for the tow truck. If they were't under warranty I would have just carried a cross over tube and seals with me for how often they'd fail.

Offline firebiker

• Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2009, 12:19:43 PM »

I had a 97 Dakota and liked it alot. I did have the tranny replaced under warranty after 19,000 miles but other than that it was a good truck. It was a fast truck. After that I got a 2001 Ram and liked it a lot except the gas mileage was poor at best. The only big complaint I had was that when I went to sell them I got next to nothing.

Offline bikehard

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2009, 12:41:22 PM »
NISSAN TITAN!  LOVE MINE!   if I had the $$ the new Tundra Crew Max.
2008 Turner 5 Spot - 28lbs of Squish!

Offline Triple T

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • Balloon Knot Cycling
  • My Bike: Likes to pose in the parking lot.
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2009, 12:49:57 PM »
For you Catman, a Tonka Truck would be perfect.  ;)
Ibis Mojo SL-23.81 lbs.
Ibis Tranny-20.75 lbs.

Offline catman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2009, 01:01:17 PM »
There he is. I promise I haven't said anything bad about you while you were not here to defend yourself ;)

Advertisement: