SWAMP Mountain Bike Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Shout Box

[History] [Commands]

[Yesterday at 04:43:23 PM] Darrinw2001: I was Blind and now I SEE!

[Yesterday at 04:44:08 PM] jdk: too much of that and you'll be blind again though

[Yesterday at 04:44:22 PM] Darrinw2001: No Doubt.... 

[Yesterday at 04:57:28 PM] Darrinw2001: I wonder how those shoes clip in? 

[Yesterday at 04:58:38 PM] jdk: I usually make her take them off when it's time to 'clip in'

[Yesterday at 04:59:45 PM] Darrinw2001: Nice... :)

[Yesterday at 05:38:38 PM] ClintonRH: Can't believe how fast I killed that chain. Glad I bought a new one. Same # of links. Old chain was almost half a link longer than new chain. 

[Yesterday at 05:40:22 PM] ClintonRH: Hurray for non-wobble cranks. Now to find a job so I can get the XT ones I actually wanted.

[Yesterday at 06:55:29 PM] Darrinw2001: please see update about the passing of Murry, the rider who went down the other day: http://www.phpbb88.com/ridgeriders/viewtopic.php?t=1476&start=30&mforum=ridgeriders

[Yesterday at 07:03:23 PM] Jonesy: very sad. 

[Yesterday at 07:03:25 PM] Redriderpro: HEY ALL!: Go to Croom soon... did 30 there today and it's drying out!

[Yesterday at 07:27:36 PM] Singletrack Samurai: damn....Sad

Advanced search  

News:

Please visit your forum Profile to edit the new fields!  Remember to add your Real Name so we can upgrade SWAMP members.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Why Doesn't the World Ride on a Rigid Single Speed?  (Read 1176 times)

SandPine and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Paintboy

• SWAMPer
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
  • Dudes Ride
Re: Why Doesn't the World Ride on a Rigid Single Speed?
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2010, 12:09:43 PM »
And a lot of heart..Rode the geared bike on V Day with the Wife . She keep yelling at to quiet the hell down.. I was scaring off the deer LOL

syadasti

• First Bike
  • My Bike: Turner Spot and Giant Reign X
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2010, 05:36:36 PM »
So when are you going to remove the shocks and transmission from your automobile and motorcycle.  All they need to deal with is smooth asphalt afterall ::)  Do you have a SS road bike too?

Singletrack Samurai

• Amatuer Billy Goat
  • My Bike: Salsa Mamasita & Fixie War Machine
« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2010, 09:48:53 PM »
So when are you going to remove the shocks and transmission from your automobile and motorcycle.  All they need to deal with is smooth asphalt afterall ::)  Do you have a SS road bike too?

Actually I DO ride an SS road bike..

Thats not the point though.. Were not talking about a 1/2 ton or a 1 ton VEHICLE, were talking about a 21lb bicycle.

Dont knock it till you tried it..

Luis

• SWAMPer
  • Huffy Rider
  • My Bike: Waltworks 29
« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2010, 06:38:51 AM »

Actually I DO ride an SS road bike..

Thats not the point though.. Were not talking about a 1/2 ton or a 1 ton VEHICLE, were talking about a 21lb bicycle.

Dont knock it till you tried it..

You forgot the rolling eyes... ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

Alan

• SWAMPer
  • Cycling Sherpa
  • My Bike: 2009 GF Paragon, 2008 Redline MC29er
« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2010, 12:36:32 PM »
I enjoy all types of bikes.  Some days I am in the mood to hit the trails on my geared hardtail.  Other days I want the challenge and peaceful solitude of a singlespeed rigid ride (trying out the fixed gear this weekend).  Both bikes are fun in their own way. 

For all those naysayers out there...give it a rest.  It may not be your thing but some of us enjoy the simplicity.  Do not speak ill of an activity which you do not understand.  Remember...different strokes for different folks. 
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 12:40:14 PM by Alan »

FACTORe

• Ride Guide
  • Yellow Jersey
  • Team AJs Nutrishop/Outside Sport/813 Racing
« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2010, 12:40:18 PM »

For all those naysayers out there...give it a rest.  It may not be your thing but some of us enjoy the simplicity.  Do not speak ill of an activity which you do not understand.  Different strokes for different folks.

I say the same thing about tandem recumbent riding - everybody looks at me and my buddy funny as we go up the UTBT sitting in each others laps.

Darrinw2001

• At least this is a Healthy Obsession, right?
  • SWAMPer
  • Yellow Jersey
  • Current Ride: 2009 Giant Trance X3
  • My Bike: Current Ride: 2009 Giant Trance X3
« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2010, 12:45:32 PM »
I enjoy all types of bikes.  Some days I am in the mood to hit the trails on my geared hardtail.  Other days I want the challenge and peaceful solitude of a singlespeed rigid ride (trying out the fixed gear this weekend). 

For all those naysayers out there...give it a rest.  It may not be your thing but some of us enjoy the simplicity.  Do not speak ill of an activity which you do not understand.  Different strokes for different folks. 

Well, OK then... so stop saying things like "Only Real Riders" or "Only The Best Riders" or whatever ride single speed, rigid, 29er, or whatever. because that is just BS.... The whole title to this thread was asking a stupid question if you ask me... If you like riding single speed, rigid, 29er, whatever, good for you, but by making threads like this you are doing nothing but trying to bait people like me who ride 26er geared, full-suspension bikes. So dont bitch when we respond.... 
Please Help Trips for Kids Tampa!
Visit www.mtbyouthride.org to see how!

Darrinw2001

• SWAMPer
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2010, 12:46:52 PM »

I say the same thing about tandem recumbent riding - everybody looks at me and my buddy funny as we go up the UTBT sitting in each others laps.

I hope you are not wearing your Team AJ's Kit when you do that Fe... :)

Luis

• SWAMPer
  • Huffy Rider
« Reply #38 on: February 16, 2010, 12:47:28 PM »
Well, OK then... so stop saying things like "Only Real Riders" or "Only The Best Riders" or whatever ride single speed, rigid, 29er, or whatever. because that is just BS.... The whole title to this thread was asking a stupid question if you ask me... If you like riding single speed, rigid, 29er, whatever, good for you, but by making threads like this you are doing nothing but trying to bait people like me (i.e. weaksauce) who ride 26er geared, full-suspension bikes. So dont bitch when we respond....

I agree with Darrin 100%  ;)

Darrinw2001

• SWAMPer
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #39 on: February 16, 2010, 12:49:58 PM »
Well, OK then... so stop saying things like "Only Real Riders" or "Only The Best Riders" or whatever ride single speed, rigid, 29er, or whatever. because that is just BS.... The whole title to this thread was asking a stupid question if you ask me... If you like riding single speed, rigid, 29er, whatever, good for you, but by making threads like this you are doing nothing but trying to bait people like me (i.e. weaksauce) who ride 26er geared, full-suspension bikes. So dont bitch when we respond....

I agree with Darrin 100%  ;)

Nice edit Luis... I am weak and proud of it... I don't measure myself on things like this thank God.

Alan

• SWAMPer
  • Cycling Sherpa
  • My Bike: 2009 GF Paragon, 2008 Redline MC29er
« Reply #40 on: February 16, 2010, 12:50:51 PM »
I enjoy all types of bikes.  Some days I am in the mood to hit the trails on my geared hardtail.  Other days I want the challenge and peaceful solitude of a singlespeed rigid ride (trying out the fixed gear this weekend). 

Well, OK then... so stop saying things like "Only Real Riders" or "Only The Best Riders" or whatever ride single speed, rigid, 29er, or whatever. because that is just BS.... The whole title to this thread was asking a stupid question if you ask me... If you like riding single speed, rigid, 29er, whatever, good for you, but by making threads like this you are doing nothing but trying to bait people like me who ride 26er geared, full-suspension bikes. So dont bitch when we respond.... 

Or you could realize that someone is "baiting" you and simply leave it alone.  Some of you guys are so sensitive.   

Luis

• SWAMPer
  • Huffy Rider
« Reply #41 on: February 16, 2010, 12:52:01 PM »
Nice edit Luis... I am weak and proud of it... I don't measure myself on things like this thank God.

You know I'm just joking...

Darrinw2001

• SWAMPer
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #42 on: February 16, 2010, 12:53:55 PM »
THATS IT!!! I am oFF these forums for GOOD!!! I Cant Take it ANY MORE!!!! :'( >:(

;)

treadlight

• Pinoy MTBer
  • SWAMPer
  • Yellow Jersey
  • I love my bike and bike loves me.
  • My Bike: Redline Monocog
« Reply #43 on: February 16, 2010, 12:54:26 PM »

You know I'm just joking...

...about full suspension and gear bikes? I agree.

syadasti

• First Bike
  • My Bike: Turner Spot and Giant Reign X
« Reply #44 on: February 16, 2010, 12:56:59 PM »
For all those naysayers out there...give it a rest.  It may not be your thing but some of us enjoy the simplicity.  Do not speak ill of an activity which you do not understand.  Remember...different strokes for different folks.

Naysayers - nobody posted a thread advocating that everyone ride latest and greatest fad/technology the bike industry had to offer (I very much dislike those myself though some might finding them useful - 7 to 8 to 9 to 10 speed, dual control roadie shifters for MTB, 15mm non-sense, suspension lockout, platform damping, etc).  The advocacy is on all on the original poster.  And a number of people have ridden these non-technology fads like rigid, SS, 29er, 27.5, etc.  My first few bikes were rigid as that was mainstream back then and I've experimented with plenty of drivetrain combinations - I fully understand the limited applications which they may be suitable for - its not a cure-all for all riders in all situations.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up
« previous next »

Page created in 1.066 seconds with 18 queries.