SWAMP Mountain Bike Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Shout Box

[History] [Commands]

[Today at 04:39:31 PM] Singletrack Samurai: got it so the road course is a lil dirty

[Today at 04:42:39 PM] FACTORe: yes - of the 7 miles loop almost 2 of ti is dirty

[Today at 04:43:15 PM] FACTORe: I got some 24mm's kevlar belt for this race and webster - the 22s would not be good

[Today at 04:44:17 PM] FACTORe: that is as big a tire I can run with my frame clearance

[Today at 04:46:10 PM] Singletrack Samurai: cool.. should be a good time, I used to ride my road bike on dirt roads all th time I love hitting a dirty corner at 17Plus, can you say DRIFT

[Today at 04:46:43 PM] FACTORe: the dirt road looked pretty packed

[Today at 04:46:56 PM] FACTORe: I dont think they would have us ride 6 inch deep sugar sand

[Today at 04:48:59 PM] Singletrack Samurai: nah the roads I used to go on where packed as well, it was FUN, i would tell people and they thought I was crazy for riding my road bike on dirt roads

[Today at 04:49:40 PM] Singletrack Samurai: you can go just as fast as you want too, there is a little resistance there and you got to expect the drift in the corners if your really haulin

[Today at 04:51:54 PM] FACTORe: sounds like a blast - I am racing with cat 3s for the first time so we will be haulin (they will be anyway and I plan on trying to keep up)

[Today at 04:54:31 PM] Singletrack Samurai: DO IT

[Today at 05:03:29 PM] FACTORe: so - after talking it over with a few folks - actually going to run the tubulars instead and run them down in pressure a bit - cant do that with clinchers because of pinch flats

Advanced search  

News:

Alafia Trail Map available!
The latest trail map is available in the Alafia Trail Maps section.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: Why Doesn't the World Ride on a Rigid Single Speed?  (Read 1384 times)

Homer 2-Niner

• Hardtail Monkey
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • ride it rigid..
Re: Why Doesn't the World Ride on a Rigid Single Speed?
« Reply #75 on: February 17, 2010, 11:58:32 PM »

i had a revelation!  :o   not too long ago i was up there with marcel (ellijay) and the gang in asheville and i had no trouble with the single speed. now the rigid part made me a little nervous on some of the downhill sections, and yes, i went to fast on one of them and wrecked pretty good.. but i'd hazard a guess that i'd have wrecked on a bike with suspension too.. bad line and i tried to force it.

oh and in ellijay and at shenandoah a 32x20 was more than enough.. 32x18 at dupont and the trails in asheville...

O0  i'm starting to like this fro guy!
the world should ride a rigid singlespeed!

Luis

• SWAMPer
  • Huffy Rider
« Reply #76 on: February 18, 2010, 06:34:54 AM »

"the world should ride a rigid singlespeed!"

That is not what Bob was thinking when he and I rode in Ellijay back around 2001.
We had some good battles up the mountain.

Ted

Busted! haha...

Luis

• SWAMPer
  • Huffy Rider
« Reply #77 on: February 18, 2010, 06:39:10 AM »

32x18 at the trails in asheville...

Hmm, you should explore a little bit farther than the comfort of Bent Creek... ;)

Homer 2-Niner

• Hardtail Monkey
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • ride it rigid..
« Reply #78 on: February 18, 2010, 10:24:31 AM »

Hmm, you should explore a little bit farther than the comfort of Bent Creek... ;)

did dupont and whatever other trails up there with the 32x18... marcel could tell you the names of the trails.. i just ride them...

-bob    :-*

VELOMATT

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • Have a nice day!!!
« Reply #79 on: February 18, 2010, 01:29:49 PM »

did dupont and whatever other trails up there with the 32x18... marcel could tell you the names of the trails.. i just ride them...

You also did the Shenandoah 100 in that gear right?
Gears??? We don't need no STINKING GEARS!!!

SandPine

• Ride Guide
  • Yellow Jersey
  • SS Bender
    • <b>SandPine's Ride Reports</b>
« Reply #80 on: February 18, 2010, 08:56:55 PM »

I am so out of SS shape... I dusted off "Celeste" (my Flight SS bike) and went for a quick Boyette run.  I didn't have time to change the gear because of daylight left so 32x17 it was.  Cleared almost everything but I am so out of SS shape.  I sure miss standing up and mashing the pedals to get up the climbs insted of just seating down shifting to an easier gear like I do on my 1x9 setup.  To each its own but I sure miss SS'ing...
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 09:04:49 PM by SandPine »

Homer 2-Niner

• Hardtail Monkey
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • ride it rigid..
« Reply #81 on: February 19, 2010, 09:57:53 PM »

no I did shenandoah on a 32x20... The 18 about killed me on the short warmup trail we did two days prior...

The 20 was the right choice. I wasn't spinning to bad, there aren't that many flat spots to worry about spinning out there, but you already know that.

You also did the Shenandoah 100 in that gear right?

Homer 2-Niner

• Hardtail Monkey
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • ride it rigid..
« Reply #82 on: February 19, 2010, 10:01:37 PM »

That got messy b32x20 at shenandoah. Right gear... Right level of uncomfortable for a 100 miler. Most if the single speeders I was racing with were on 33x21's and up. But they had the power of the "fork"....

Scott

• SWAMPer
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #83 on: February 20, 2010, 09:17:05 AM »

Homer tell me your thoughts on Niner sizing, they spec a M for a rider 5'8" to 6' but I keep reading on the forums that if you are 5'10" or more the Large is the way to go. I am looking at a M SIR with a EFF TT of 23.75", which is right in line with my M Anthem. Niner specs the L for a rider 5'11" to 6'3", with a TT of 24.5" which would probably work with a shorty stem.
I am 5'10 and 1/2ish :)
« Last Edit: February 20, 2010, 09:30:32 AM by Scott »

Coach

• SWAMPer
  • Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #84 on: February 20, 2010, 01:44:15 PM »

Go with your ETT comfort level.  Do not follow the manufacturers suggestion.  If you are comfortable with a 23.75" TT, then stick with it.  I know I like a 24.5 TT and have had 5 bikes with that in mind, and they all have been a good fit.  My RIP9 is perfect and if I was to get a Niner HT, I would get a large (I am 6' maybe 6'1").  Good luck.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2010, 01:48:01 PM by Coach »
"No good deed goes unpunished" -Coach

Chuckona

• First Bike
« Reply #85 on: Yesterday at 08:21:41 AM »

"Pshh! I ride roller skates."

The 2x2 kind or roller blades?

Def 2 x 2, Better on roots.
"AIRBORNE"

Homer 2-Niner

• Hardtail Monkey
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • ride it rigid..
« Reply #86 on: Today at 12:08:12 AM »

Homer tell me your thoughts on Niner sizing, they spec a M for a rider 5'8" to 6' but I keep reading on the forums that if you are 5'10" or more the Large is the way to go. I am looking at a M SIR with a EFF TT of 23.75", which is right in line with my M Anthem. Niner specs the L for a rider 5'11" to 6'3", with a TT of 24.5" which would probably work with a shorty stem.

Scott,

Niner sizing is tricky. I'm almost 6 exactly, little under. Anyhow, I really think sizing depends on what feel you're most comfortable with. My brother would tell you get the larger frame, I would tell you get the smaller one. I ride a medium Niner but I also like they way it feels compared to longer top tubes. It feels more like a bmx bike that is easier for me to manipulate. The only downfall, the seat post has to be really long, especially with Niners top tube angle. Least on the one9.

Take it for what is worth bro. Good luck. Hope I helped even a little
-Bob

Luis

• SWAMPer
  • Huffy Rider
« Reply #87 on: Today at 06:39:38 AM »

Scott - buy the frame with the ETT you need, those Niner recommendations are just guidelines. Even I at 5'5" would be on a med. Niner frame.  My current ETT is 23.6".

Scott

• SWAMPer
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #88 on: Today at 09:55:13 AM »

Scott,

Niner sizing is tricky. I'm almost 6 exactly, little under. Anyhow, I really think sizing depends on what feel you're most comfortable with. My brother would tell you get the larger frame, I would tell you get the smaller one. I ride a medium Niner but I also like they way it feels compared to longer top tubes. It feels more like a bmx bike that is easier for me to manipulate. The only downfall, the seat post has to be really long, especially with Niners top tube angle. Least on the one9.

Take it for what is worth bro. Good luck. Hope I helped even a little
-Bob

I am with ya on the BMX feel, my current rides EFF TT is 23.4 so the Medium SIR at 23.75 should be a good fit. Thanks for the feedback :)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6]   Go Up

Page created in 0.552 seconds with 15 queries.