Author Topic: SOLO at Markham Park (Weston, FL)  (Read 1760 times)

Offline kiltedranger

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
  • Fat Tire Fettish
    • My Facebook Page
  • My Bike: 2005 Specialized S-Works FSR 120
SOLO at Markham Park (Weston, FL)
« on: November 23, 2009, 06:16:50 PM »
Howdy all from the Kilted one. I got a chance to ride Markham Park today, down in Weston, FL. What a great time on two wheels. As I pulled into the park, the smell hit me like an old friend. I have not ridden Markham in almost two years. She is like an old lover... I remember her curves very well, but my mind had softened them a bit. I must say, she is much faster now, than I remember. Much more smooth, and still very technical. I was able to ride 99% of the park, clean as a whistle. However, there are a few climbs back on Gunrange that I just could not clean. Mostly due to timing, or washout. I was unable to clean Jet Ski, due to the amount of ruts from the rain, well... that and I am a mere mortal on a mountain bike.

The "Warm Up Loop" is one that I mostly skip. I usually roll right into "Rock Garden", but today I rode the Warm Up Loop, just to log it on my GPS. The trails are very well groomed, and hard packed. The trial maint. crew for Club Mudd has done a supurb job with this park. It still rides high on my list as one of my favorite parks to ride.

This park is explosive, and highly technical. Bail-outs are clearly marked, and very easy to navigate. The entrance into "The Outback" has changed, and flows much better now, out of Gunrange (Rattlesnake Ridge). Once you finish The Outback, and roll through the next trail, right before the Jet Ski Climb... there is a very technical climb with a right hand switch back, that I was unable to clean. I just got bounced out of my pedals.

The Bermuda Triangle (Area 51) is fast, and has some mand made obstacles in it, and was a bit unclear the first time through. It loops back onto itself before exiting into the Washing Machine, and on into Alligator Alley.

Alligator Alley is the most fun on two wheels at Markham Park. I love this loop!!! I rode it four times... just could not get enough. The technical climb that used to plague me, is a a cinch now, due to the nice wooden ramp and table top that they club has put in. You have to do a track stand at the top, and have your cranks timed right but I cleaned it no issues.

All in all, I had a blast. I had the park to myself, and it was nice to get acquainted with an old friend.

Here is my GPS data for the first loop I rode. I know the Garmin dropped signal in parts, so the mileage is not really accurate. It's close enough though. I am sure there are more trails that I missed, since I have not been here in a long while.

Good job Club Mudd... you guys rock!!!

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/19510992

Cheers Mates!!!

Darren (KR)
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Offline Triple T

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Likes to pose in the parking lot.
Re: SOLO at Markham Park (Weston, FL)
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2009, 06:45:43 PM »
Sounds like a good time.
Ibis Mojo SL-23.81 lbs.
Ibis Tranny-20.75 lbs.

Online ClintonRH

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2009, 07:07:51 PM »
I rode it last Saturday. Tried everything but didn't make a lot of things because I'd never seen most of it. Still was having a lot of fin until I got sloppy on 'The Folly' and tried to use my hip to move the big rock on the side of the trail at the bottom. The rock is still there and I had to limp my way out. Somewhere else earlier I took a big chunk out of the back of my leg. Not sure where though, but damn that coral rock is sharp. A good park for body armor for those of us with less than super skills.

Offline luckynumber9

• Amateur Billy Goat
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2009, 10:37:35 PM »
markham is fun but still not as fun as alafia or boyette

Online ClintonRH

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2009, 06:43:09 AM »
Boyette and Alafia typically have lower penalties for failure as well which in my book is a very good thing. Although I guess there are a few places where the penalty is much higher than anything I saw at Markham but those are places where wrecks are very rare.
Markham is a very fun park. Super technical and a non-stop challenge. I imagine if you can flow through everything there that there's very little that you couldn't ride.
Oleta is a fun park. Not as technically challenging as Markham but with the non-stop twists and turns and constant stream of little features it's a hell of a workout to try and keep the momentum up out there.
Quiet waters is a fun park. Fast and flowy with a good number of technical features and minimal penalty for failure though the geometry of a lot of the berms on the turns could use some tweaking. I like how the trails all the expert/intermediate trails flow one right into the next. Don't have to think about where you're trying to go, just ride, don't stop. A great trail system for people in SoFla that are developing as riders and aren't quite ready for Markham style craziness.
Club Mud has really done an amazing job considering they have almost nothing to work with from a topography perspective.
I didn't get to ride Amelia Earhart yet (next weekend) because I couldn't find a place outside the park to park my van that would be discrete enough and I wouldn't have to worry about it getting broken into. Next weekend I'll have my personal truck so I don't have to worry about that kind of nonsense. If you want to ride Amelia, I wouldn't leave anything in my car. I don't know if they've had problems but I used to work down by Opa Locka airport and there's a reason that almost every business in that end of town that leaves vehicles outside has a gated fenced yard with razor wire.

Offline kiltedranger

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
  • Fat Tire Fettish
    • My Facebook Page
  • My Bike: 2005 Specialized S-Works FSR 120
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2009, 09:22:14 AM »
Clinton, you nailed it Brother!!!

I learned the love for technical trail riding at Markham Park. I can remember the frustration that I felt, in the seemingly insurmountable obstacles that presented themselves to me there. I started on a low level Jamis Hardtail with an old Manitou elastimer fork. That thing would buck me like a rodeo horse, and I had some of my worst OTB crashes there. I always rode solo, and I would sit at a choke point, where I could not clean... and wait for riders to ride over / through it.

Eventually, my skill level increased to the point that I could ride most areas of the park. Then I started upgrading my kit. I can not say enough good things for top shelf kit. Yesterday as I was riding, I would pass through areas that used to be my arch nemesis... with ease. I ride a bike that is kitted out very nicely, and it makes me "look" like I know what I am doing.

I passed a rock, and gave it a knowing respectful nod, and remembered the 12 stitches I got from the impact. Sections of the park that used to plague me, I sailed through. Other parts I dabbed like a newbie.

Markham is non stop with a high penalty for failure, just as Clinton stated.

Alafia is my new "home park". It is now my favorite... but Markham is where I learned my love for technical trail riding, and will always be special to me.

Cheers Mates!

Darren (KR)
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Offline javier

• First Bike
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2009, 10:57:07 AM »
Glad to see you guys enjoyed yourselves down here.  Reminds me of the feelings I have everytime after visiting Alafia and Boyette.  Keep on coming.  enjoy..

Offline patrick076

• Forum Newbie
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2010, 08:20:57 AM »
i think you guys have enjoyed lot there keep it up guys good luck

Offline d0ri4ne2f2

• First Bike
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2010, 12:40:04 AM »
The solo ride at Markham Part sounds real interesting and seems to have something for every bike rider - the tough rides, the challenging ones and the easy ones for beginners!! I am sure it must have been an exciting time for him as he seems to have returned there after two years!! There seems to be a lot of routes to take according to our experience though a couple of them did have some bad experiences while riding there!!
Standardization