Author Topic: Down Hill bike Q's  (Read 1131 times)

Offline 4x4TampaTaco

• Clipless Mountain Goat
Down Hill bike Q's
« on: November 23, 2009, 09:00:06 PM »
  Hey guys. Finally am figuring out all the generes of MTB'n. Man his DH's look fun. Kind of BMX, Dirt bike-ish. Does it make sense to buy that kind of a buy for FL? For the trails we run around here.  I imagine it's not very comfortable for long rides. The other thing... how heavy are they?

Offline catman

• Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: 2007 Giant Trance 1
Re: Down Hill bike Q's
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2009, 09:08:20 PM »
I think Krunnch's is 43lbs
Part time mountain biker, full time roadie smiter.

Offline 4x4TampaTaco

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2009, 09:09:21 PM »
Dam!!!!  Wrong direction. Looking for something LIGHT WEIGHT lol. Specialized's webiste is pretty easy to navigate. Looks like for my budget and needs a XC trail would work.

Offline luckynumber9

• Amateur Billy Goat
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2009, 10:43:22 PM »
DH bikes are waaaay to much for florida.  a 6 inch travel bike like a pitch or a remedy is something you could use to downhill on in the southeast (nearly anywhere, just a little slower), and still ride in florida.  I will say though that my pitch (32lbs)  does feel like a lot of bike compared to my fuel ex (27lbs).  I would not want to lug around anything in the dh range of 37+

Offline BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Intense Uzzi VPX w/ 'Slacker' dropouts
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2009, 08:09:47 AM »
If you have good legs and lungs, you can ride anything pretty much anywhere (certainly anywhere in Florida).  My Santa Cruz Blur (a pretty typical XC bike) is the 'better' bike for Florida, but I have much more fun on my Intense Uzzi ( a light DH/Freeride bike).  I have recently gotten off my lazy butt and started losing weight and working out so being in better shape has made the Uzzi a much more viable option for riding and not bonking 2 miles in.
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Offline YaMon

• Amateur Billy Goat
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2009, 08:17:44 AM »
Should never be your primary bike for Florida riding. Lots of fun if you travel to MTB often and once you have tried a big bike going DH, nothing can compare......Mine will be finished this week. Corsair Konig, Lyrik, single chainring, 32 pounds and each component carefully chosen.

Offline KRUNNCHERO

• Frankenbike builder!
  • Forum Moderator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Smite master!
    • Raymond James Financial Services
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2009, 08:24:14 AM »
Big bike isn't my primary as I have the Frankenbike #2 thanks to several wonderful people. However, given the day and conditions, I have won a bet here and there for making climbs on my big bike that no XC bike made at the time. I will gladly take both anyday - once you ride a big 44-45lb monster all day long and switch to a 30lb XC bike - you are a rocket.
We continuously seek feedback from you as to how we can improve our policies and procedures since our primary goal is to act in partnership with you. If you have any questions or need to report any problems on the SWAMP forum, please send me a PM and I will get back with you ASAP.

Offline catman

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2009, 08:26:55 AM »
I remember that uphill challenge. Thanks for the reminder  >:(

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2009, 12:01:07 PM »
Big bike isn't my primary as I have the Frankenbike #2 thanks to several wonderful people. However, given the day and conditions, I have won a bet here and there for making climbs on my big bike that no XC bike made at the time. I will gladly take both anyday - once you ride a big 44-45lb monster all day long and switch to a 30lb XC bike - you are a rocket.

What hill was that?
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Offline KRUNNCHERO

• Frankenbike builder!
  • Forum Moderator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Smite master!
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2009, 12:39:52 PM »
Somewhere in Santos. Though I have made the doom entrance once, the gatorback wood bridge once, never made the high ridge line on moonscape though. Haven't got around to trying with Frankenbike since I broke myself.

We continuously seek feedback from you as to how we can improve our policies and procedures since our primary goal is to act in partnership with you. If you have any questions or need to report any problems on the SWAMP forum, please send me a PM and I will get back with you ASAP.

Offline catman

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2009, 01:15:57 PM »
BillT can probably tell you exactly where it is at as he lost $7 there  :D

I'm thinking it was actually a downhill that BillT bet us we couldn't climb. We didn't even come close and yet Krunnch made it with ease. I'm thinking it was just off to the left of that long climb up to the three wood drops. So when you're climbing up to do the wood drops (old burned out car near by) you look left and you'll see it. Krunnch did get mad props that day. We found that went hitting it with speed it tossed us around but K's bike soaked it right up and powered on up.

Offline Triple T

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Likes to pose in the parking lot.
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2009, 01:28:54 PM »
What hill was that?

I think it was Rattlesnake if I remember correctly.
Ibis Mojo SL-23.81 lbs.
Ibis Tranny-20.75 lbs.

Offline eclark

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2009, 02:04:49 PM »
special K, how you feeling?  you ready to ride again soon?

Offline KRUNNCHERO

• Frankenbike builder!
  • Forum Moderator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Smite master!
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2009, 02:44:10 PM »
Almost there - should be 100% by 12/7... Though I am ready to ride uber light stuff - still missing about 20%ish of my bone given my last x-ray (week or so ago).

Offline BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2009, 03:45:08 PM »
I blame TTT for getting Krunnch a real cassette.  It was on the Vortex, we were riding it backwards.  Going forwards it the section after burned out jeep, you climb up, go into a pump track like section that has a cool downhill, jump out (similar to after the first hard option on Roller Coaster at Alafia) and after that is a steep downhill to flat to another downhill to sharp right and that is the spot (except we were riding it backwards so it was an uphill, short flat, and another uphill).

Offline Triple T

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Likes to pose in the parking lot.
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2009, 03:52:02 PM »
I blame TTT for getting Krunnch a real cassette.

He got a free XT cassette from me, and cash money from you.   :-\
Ibis Mojo SL-23.81 lbs.
Ibis Tranny-20.75 lbs.

Offline BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2009, 04:11:19 PM »
Lesson learned :)

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2009, 05:43:42 PM »
I blame TTT for getting Krunnch a real cassette.  It was on the Vortex, we were riding it backwards.  Going forwards it the section after burned out jeep, you climb up, go into a pump track like section that has a cool downhill, jump out (similar to after the first hard option on Roller Coaster at Alafia) and after that is a steep downhill to flat to another downhill to sharp right and that is the spot (except we were riding it backwards so it was an uphill, short flat, and another uphill).

I know exactly where you are talking about, one of my favorite sections. Never ridden it backwards though.
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Offline BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2009, 07:07:03 PM »
That bit is my probably my favorite section of the Vortex and probably all of Santos.  That day we got a wild hair and decided to ride it backwards for a new challenge, it was fun, but it rides better the regular way.

Offline RiskEverything

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • My Bike: '06 Cannondale Rush, '96 Cannondale Super V
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2009, 12:21:31 AM »
My Rush is a 4.3" travel bike at 27lbs with all XT components. It has been my favorite bike on just about any trail (some of Boyette I'd prefer with a HT). However, I started wanting something for doing the harder options at Santos, and built up the Uber-V. It's a 6" travel bike at 30lbs, and it could easily drop down to 27lbs without sacrificing strength (just $$$).

If I had to do it over again, I'd have spent the same amount of money and bought a brand new Maverick ML8!
We see the world not as it is, but as we are.