Author Topic: Anybody Rocking a Truvativ Noir crankset?  (Read 1278 times)

Online Scott

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
Anybody Rocking a Truvativ Noir crankset?
« on: November 26, 2009, 08:02:25 PM »
Hey Swampers, I am specing out my new Titus build and was considering the Noirs rather than my tried and true XTR's. The Noirs feature carbon wraped crank arms with some blingy color options but have the oddball sized Truvativ bottom bracket. I am looking for some real world input on how these cranks have worked for you :)

Offline BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Intense Uzzi VPX w/ 'Slacker' dropouts
Re: Anybody Rocking a Truvativ Noir crankset?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2009, 10:07:53 PM »
My friend, Nick, has them on his Giant and has nothing but good things to say about them.
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Online Scott

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2009, 11:42:53 PM »
I really like the Crank it self, it has been tweaked for 2010 and expect it is very XX like, BUT I am reading bad things about the bearing preload as in there is'nt any, torque crank arm bolt to spec and hope your BB shell is exactly 73mm. I am not finding any favorable comments about the GXP BB itself either, as the net is riddled with tales of premature death. Guess it's best to stick with a proven system :)

Offline E90X + 1.1.11

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • team - independent self supported
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2009, 06:13:53 AM »
I really like the Crank it self, it has been tweaked for 2010 and expect it is very XX like, BUT I am reading bad things about the bearing preload as in there is'nt any, torque crank arm bolt to spec and hope your BB shell is exactly 73mm. I am not finding any favorable comments about the GXP BB itself either, as the net is riddled with tales of premature death. Guess it's best to stick with a proven system :)

I have had both and I liked the XTR way better - it was that stupid GXP BB that gave me trouble

Offline nick

• Amateur Billy Goat
  • My Bike: MTB-05 Giant Trance /Road-87 Schwinn LeTour
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2009, 08:30:39 AM »
Mine have been problem free, BB is still nice and smooth. They are a nice stiff light crankset. Got mine off of MTBR classifieds pretty cheap new in the box.

Online Scott

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2009, 08:40:58 AM »
The price is about $100 less than the XTR making them very enticing Nick. The Carbon crankarm stiffness and fact they would look really HOT :o on a carbon bike does'nt hurt either :) :)

Offline Dan-o

• Cycling Sherpa
  • My Bike: NINER EMD 1X9
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2009, 09:21:02 AM »
Scott,
Got the Truvative Cranks on the Niner now. Not the Noir but they have seemed pretty solid even with their factory BB still going strong on 2nd bike. 73 mm shell - dont you just add a spacer for it if the shell isnt that wide?
wherever you go.....there you are.
Just a big Hooper!

Offline E90X + 1.1.11

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2009, 09:32:42 AM »
the problem I had with the gpx was it would untighten then it got a little sloppy after tightening over and over - maybe I just had a bad one

Online Scott

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2009, 09:35:53 AM »
Scott,
Got the Truvative Cranks on the Niner now. Not the Noir but they have seemed pretty solid even with their factory BB still going strong on 2nd bike. 73 mm shell - dont you just add a spacer for it if the shell isnt that wide?
yes, you add the 3 spacers for a 68mm. The preload adjustment makes up for any small clearance issues by allowing you to set the non drive side crank arm to where it is just touching the bearing on that side, without an adjustment that crankarm could either leave a gap allowing slop and slap between the arm and bearing or if the shell is a hair thin binding between the two mating surfaces :'(

Offline Dan-o

• Cycling Sherpa
  • My Bike: NINER EMD 1X9
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2009, 09:44:41 AM »
SRAM=DO IT
wherever you go.....there you are.
Just a big Hooper!

Offline E90X + 1.1.11

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2009, 09:47:11 AM »
Scott,
yes, you add the 3 spacers for a 68mm. The preload adjustment makes up for any small clearance issues by allowing you to set the non drive side crank arm to where it is just touching the bearing on that side, without an adjustment that crankarm could either leave a gap allowing slop and slap between the arm and bearing or if the shell is a hair thin binding between the two mating surfaces :'(

the "slop" is the issue I ended up with

Offline nick

• Amateur Billy Goat
  • My Bike: MTB-05 Giant Trance /Road-87 Schwinn LeTour
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2009, 10:53:49 AM »
I use blue locktite on the crank bolt, it loosened up one when i first put it on without locktite. Been good for 2 years now.

Offline E90X + 1.1.11

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2009, 10:54:50 AM »
I use blue locktite on the crank bolt, it loosened up one when i first put it on without locktite. Been good for 2 years now.

I should have done that

Offline VELOMATT

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • Have a nice day!!!
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2009, 05:35:11 PM »
I've been riding the Noir 1.1's for about a year now and I have had no issues with them.  After the initial install it is good to go back and make sure they are torqued correctly every so often.  If you end up with slop in them b/c your bb shell isn't quite wide enough you could use a wavy washer to take up that slop and it will actually give you a little bearing preload. (use wavy washer on drive side)
Gears??? We don't need no STINKING GEARS!!!