Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: NorthPortMTB.org  (Read 1487 times)

Offline gotwalp

• Huffy Rider
    • iloveimprint
NorthPortMTB.org
« on: November 25, 2009, 07:27:45 AM »
Recently we found out that North Port has plans for our trails in the next few years. These trails have been ridden and maintained by an unofficial group for many years. It is time for us to start an official club so that we can be part of these plans and hopefully keep our trails. We are reaching out to Swamp (which a handful of us are members) to get some info/advice on starting an official club. I also am reaching out to IMBA and the Mudcutters down south. Any info, advice or guidance would be greatly appreciated.Thanks in advance.-Walt
2009 Redline D660 29er
2009 Redline Monocog 29er

Offline eclark

• Cycling Sherpa
Re: NorthPortMTB.org
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2009, 07:57:43 AM »
I really need to come visit these trails, they look like a lot of fun.  From exit 250 on 75, about how long does it take to get there?

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2009, 08:46:09 AM »
GotW,
Welcome to our forum.  You will be better off contacting the Grand Pooh Bah himself (Wes Eubank), our current Presidente and my primo (Gary).  Probably will also help to talk to Alafia's trail boss Art North.  Julianne North about general club membership and other trail or public relation items.

I have pm'ed you their email addresses.  We here on the forum can definately give you advice but the people I just mentioned may be of more help to you.  Definately get organized and get IMBA's backing.  A united club membership and proper trail maintenance goes long way with helping relationship with the land owners.  Good luck.

Update...  I just looked at your site and the pics you have on there.  I see that you have several man build obstacles and options to ride.  they are a lot of fun.  SWAMP normally does not maintain those types of trails.  Not just by choice but because land owners where the trails are do not allow it.  You are going want to contact the Ridge Riders (http://www.ridgeriders.net/) and probably OMBA (OMBA.org) as well.  They do have those types of trails.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2009, 08:51:12 AM by SandPine »

Offline Jonesy

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2009, 09:18:52 AM »
1.5 hours Eric

Offline gotwalp

• Huffy Rider
    • iloveimprint
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2009, 09:36:34 AM »
Hi Eric,It would be exit 182 to go to the lady slipper entrance. So figure about 68 miles exit to exit.
SandPine: Thanks for the info. I am going to contact them.
Cheers,Walt
2009 Redline D660 29er

Offline ProEdgeBiker .

• SUPPORTING OUR TRAILS By DONATING $30/yr for a SWAMP FAMILY MEMBERSHIP!
  • SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • *SPECIALIZED & SCOTT* My SWEATSHOP BOUTIQUES!
    • PROEDGEBIKER.COM
  • Favorite Trail: BOYETTE/P-TRAIL
  • My Bike: 650b SPECIALIZED EPIC & SCOTT FOIL 15
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2009, 10:28:35 AM »
Hi Eric,It would be exit 182 to go to the lady slipper entrance. So figure about 68 miles exit to exit.
SandPine: Thanks for the info. I am going to contact them.
Cheers,Walt

Het there Gotwalp,

How many miles of trails are out there?

Offline gotwalp

• Huffy Rider
    • iloveimprint
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2009, 10:39:52 AM »
Hi ProEdge.We have about 10 miles of technical trails. For new comers, it is best to hook up with a local. It can be a little difficult to find all the fun stuff. There is group ride every Wednesday evening. This time of year, they ride with lights of course. If anyone wants to come down, hit me up and I can make sure someone meets you at the park.Thanks again,Walt
2009 Redline D660 29er

Offline RKL

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2009, 05:57:58 PM »
I live in Sarasota and have worked as an environmental consultant down here more than 10 years doing wetland permitting for local developments.  I haven't ridden any of the North Port trails but am aware of issues the City has through my work in and for the City, and from tracking local proposed law changes.  The good news is the City's so dysfunctional and broke, they're probably not going to do anything soon.  The bad is that these trails are on the City's radar and they're trying to get rid of them.

Myakkahatchee Creek is part of the City's water supply source and of concern from a flooding perspective.  City stormwater manager is a former SWFWMD compliance engineer.  Proposed changes to the City's comprehensive plan specifically prohibit trails in the 100-yr flood plain of the creek out of concern for flood protection (stuff might get caught up in the bridges the club's built and block water flow), protection of water supply and general protection of natural resources.  From discussions I've heard, the City has paid consultants to walk the creek and probably know where the built stuff is.  If the prohibition language gets in the Comp Plan, the trails will be illegal.  If or when that happens it wouldn't suprise me for the built stuff to get torn down by the City.

I can't imagine properly built single-track would be an issue.  But because a bunch of structures have been built on City land without approvals/permission and these create a safety liability, potential flooding concerns, and potentially impact other natural things in the City's mindset - I suspect the battle is going to be an uphill one.  Remember you're dealing with the City of North Port, who is in the middle of taking somebody's house for 10's of thousands of dollars in Code Enforcement fines because some lady didn't buy a $30 permit to put an awning tent over her lawn furniture in her back yard.   Good Luck.

Offline firebiker

• Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2009, 06:59:29 PM »
The other thing I seem to remember about No. Po. is that some of the trails cross private property. (A golf course). I live in Sarasota too and North Port is where I began riding. But I haven't been there in over a year. I would rather drive the extra 10 minutes to Boyette.
My bike is more than a toy; it's my vessel.

Offline gotwalp

• Huffy Rider
    • iloveimprint
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2009, 02:14:44 PM »
Thanks guys. I know it will be a battle, but we have a few years and a lot of good people to work with. These trails have been maintained and ridden by locals for over 20 years. We can not just give up easy. The land managers work for us.
Hey Firebiker, are you Eric?
Cheers,Walt
2009 Redline D660 29er

Offline firebiker

• Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2009, 06:26:29 PM »
Nope. Name is Jay.
My bike is more than a toy; it's my vessel.

Offline gotwalp

• Huffy Rider
    • iloveimprint
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2009, 06:55:50 AM »
There used to be a guy named Eric that worked at the Sarasota Schwinn and was training to be a fire fighter. It was a worth a guess :)
2009 Redline D660 29er

Advertisement: