Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Lurking  (Read 5399 times)

Offline catman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: 2016 Scott Genius 740
Lurking
« on: November 30, 2009, 01:39:52 PM »
Ever notice how many folks lurk on here but do not post? How about posting something now and again so we can get this forum back to it's former self. I know there were at least a few major meltdowns that scared people off but I'd really like to think that we are getting past that for the most part.

If the shout box hate is a put off, keep in mind that more than a few of us know each other and it is just typical guy stuff that means nothing when Sat rolls around and we are hitting up the trails together.

If you care to comment, lets keep it out of the gutter please.
Part time mountain biker, full time roadie smiter.

Offline Darrinw2001

• At least this is a Healthy Obsession, right?
  • Yellow Jersey
  • aka "The OGRE" - Elite Epic Gonzo Soul Rider
  • My Bike: 2012 Salsa EL Mariachi Steel 29er and 2012 Salsa HorseThief
Re: Lurking
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2009, 01:53:57 PM »
Actually, I am looking at starting a local MTB Only forum.. (not a club, just a forum) with some looser rules and some more fun options. I think a forum outside of a specific club, promoting the sport in general (including all clubs, bike shops, trails, Charity groups, etc) may help bring in new people. At least this idea would be less time consuming and not cost any money to get rolling. The forums would include stuff like Games, Repair videos, and as much information as we see fit to include. Religion and politics would be OK as long as people are respectful of others. No boring roadie stuff though, so Fe would have to keep his roadie stuff here. check out what I have been playing around with HERE:

http://tampabaymountainbikeforums.freeforums.org/index.php

Offline ProEdgeBiker .

• SUPPORTING OUR TRAILS By DONATING $30/yr for a SWAMP FAMILY MEMBERSHIP!
  • SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • *SPECIALIZED & SCOTT* My SWEATSHOP BOUTIQUES!
    • PROEDGEBIKER.COM
  • Favorite Trail: BOYETTE/P-TRAIL
  • My Bike: 650b SPECIALIZED EPIC & SCOTT FOIL 15
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2009, 02:10:38 PM »
Actually, I am looking at starting a local MTB Only forum.. (not a club, just a forum) with some looser rules and some more fun options. I think a forum outside of a specific club, promoting the sport in general (including all clubs, bike shops, trails, Charity groups, etc) may help bring in new people. At least this idea would be less time consuming and not cost any money to get rolling. The forums would include stuff like Games, Repair videos, and as much information as we see fit to include. Religion and politics would be OK as long as people are respectful of others. No boring roadie stuff though, so Fe would have to keep his roadie stuff here. check out what I have been playing around with HERE:

[url=http://tampabaymountainbikeforums.freeforums.org/index.php]http://tampabaymountainbikeforums.freeforums.org/index.php[/url]

OOOH BOY!

Maybe some folks just are logged in and not actually looking at it.

Offline Triple T

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • Balloon Knot Cycling
  • My Bike: Likes to pose in the parking lot.
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2009, 02:13:59 PM »

That's how I am.  I stay logged in all day at work, and only pay attention to the forum when I can. 
Ibis Mojo SL-23.81 lbs.
Ibis Tranny-20.75 lbs.

Offline catman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2009, 02:16:41 PM »
I love when TTT does that cause it really test my phishing skills. He eventually cracks under the pressure and tosses a bonk joke my way.

Offline Darrinw2001

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2009, 02:27:45 PM »

[url=http://tampabaymountainbikeforums.freeforums.org/index.php]http://tampabaymountainbikeforums.freeforums.org/index.php[/url]

OOOH BOY!

havent published the site yet PEB... only one who knows about it is me and the few who read this thread... anyway, it may be just another forum option and not a step on anyones toes... from what I can tell most of the SWAMP leaders view this forum as a necessary evil...

Offline catman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2009, 03:13:07 PM »
Don't see how anyone can hate if you're doing it with charity in mind.

Offline jdk

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • I LIKE BIKES
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2009, 03:21:27 PM »

That seems like a pretty good idea to me. I have tampamtb.com and tampamountainbike.com registered and unused up until 2010 if you want to use them - I also have a server you can use if you need hosting for it. I realize the tampa part might make the demographic more limited than you want, but I figured I'd throw it out there.

^Me, while riding a Turner.

Offline Darrinw2001

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2009, 03:23:26 PM »

That seems like a pretty good idea to me. I have tampamtb.com and tampamountainbike.com registered and unused up until 2010 if you want to use them - I also have a server you can use if you need hosting for it. I realize the tampa part might make the demographic more limited than you want, but I figured I'd throw it out there.

lets talk!

Offline jdk

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • I LIKE BIKES
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2009, 03:39:46 PM »
Well, the registration for those sites is up in March 2010. It was a failed project I started with a couple of co-workers so the site is not really doing anything right now. It just needs someone to love it and direct traffic its way. I had it set up with Joomla (an opensource content management system) and phpBB3 back when I registered it.
I'm a systems administrator by day so I really wouldn't want to be bothered with it a whole lot, but I'd be happy to get the software installed to get you started. Of course I'd still reserve the right the be a moderator there so I can delete any roadie crap that's posted, and of course I may just delete the site at any time because you pissed me off, but that's a risk you take for free hosting :)

Offline Darrinw2001

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2009, 03:49:43 PM »
Well, the registration for those sites is up in March 2010. It was a failed project I started with a couple of co-workers so the site is not really doing anything right now. It just needs someone to love it and direct traffic its way. I had it set up with Joomla (an opensource content management system) and phpBB3 back when I registered it.
I'm a systems administrator by day so I really wouldn't want to be bothered with it a whole lot, but I'd be happy to get the software installed to get you started. Of course I'd still reserve the right the be a moderator there so I can delete any roadie crap that's posted, and of course I may just delete the site at any time because you pissed me off, but that's a risk you take for free hosting :)

once the forum sections are built, it would be little maint except to Mod... I would hope to not have to mod much since it would be an open forum.. all roadie crap will get banned and those who try to post it banned in the 1st few days I am sure... The hosting now is free except the fact it is a long url, I could just keep it there w/o having to worry about you flaking out on me... we should have at least 5 or 6 Mods though that can make sure people are not flaming and talking road crap...

Offline jdk

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • I LIKE BIKES
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2009, 03:52:36 PM »

once the forum sections are built, it would be little maint except to Mod... I would hope to not have to mod much since it would be an open forum.. all roadie crap will get banned and those who try to post it banned in the 1st few days I am sure... The hosting now is free except the fact it is a long url, I could just keep it there w/o having to worry about you flaking out on me... we should have at least 5 or 6 Mods though that can make sure people are not flaming and talking road crap...

I could also redirect those domains to the current URL you have, if you want. Another thing to consider is that I have a badass server dedicated to doing nothing right now, and the server you have the forum on currently is shared among the masses.

Offline eclark

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2009, 05:06:48 PM »
whats with the road haterism?  you dont like the idea of getting fast and strong i take it?  i have been talking about getting into good xc shape for 5 years, since moving to crappy flat FL from DH friendly Northeast.  I started road riding this year and dayum, I finally got my results.  you won't need to ban me on your site.

Offline jdk

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • I LIKE BIKES
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2009, 05:08:13 PM »
I don't hate roadies, I just don't expect 80% of the content on a mountain biking website to be about roadie stuff, that's all. If I wanted to talk about road biking I'd go to a road biking forum.

Offline Darrinw2001

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2009, 05:11:47 PM »
I don't hate roadies, I just don't expect 80% of the content on a mountain biking website to be about roadie stuff, that's all. If I wanted to talk about road biking I'd go to a road biking forum.

Exactly... how much MTB talk is there on the Roadie Forums?

Advertisement: