Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: I need to be educated.  (Read 2539 times)

Offline Jim DeLuca

• Cycling Sherpa
I need to be educated.
« on: December 07, 2009, 12:41:27 PM »
I watch folks and cringe as they just hang their bikes on the bikes wash, and spray away.  I have always taken my bike home, and wiped it down using a brush, and sometimes a mild detergent when needed.  So please enlighten me on why you would subject your bike to water hose torture!

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
Re: I need to be educated.
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2009, 01:01:31 PM »
they need to be educated, not you. ;)
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Offline BeerCan

• Forum Moderator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • My Bike: Turner Sultan (V1)
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2009, 01:06:31 PM »
I have washed my bike with a hose for years with no problems.  I don't understand why this would be considered torture.  Now if we were talking about a pressure washer I might agree.
"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture." Frank Zappa
------------------------------------

Offline Triple T

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • Balloon Knot Cycling
  • My Bike: Likes to pose in the parking lot.
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2009, 01:18:03 PM »
Pressure washer works just fine.  As long as you angle the spray away from your bearings.  :)

J/K.
Ibis Mojo SL-23.81 lbs.
Ibis Tranny-20.75 lbs.

Offline BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Intense Uzzi VPX w/ 'Slacker' dropouts
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2009, 01:22:14 PM »
Nothing wrong with using the bike wash at the trail head to get rid of fresh crud on the bike.  The real problem is if there's a pressure washer attachment and you decide to spray it right on your bottom bracket, headset, pivots, etc.
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Offline Jim DeLuca

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2009, 01:39:25 PM »
I still do not get it.  You gotta get water all in your cable housings at the least.  Maybe I'm just old school, and remember the old days that when your bike got wet it was grease all the bearings time, and dry and lube the cables.  We also had a lot of chromoly parts too, so rust was an issue.  Still not convinced.

Offline Skinman

• Cycling Sherpa
  • My Bike: 08 FSR 29er
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2009, 03:08:18 PM »
When I ride in the wet and mud, I hose my bike off. When it is just dusty I wipe with damp rag. My Cables are all enclosed so the water wont get in. I am carefull not squirt water with any force at any bearings or at my bb.

If you are carefull I dont think its a problem.....of course I'm the guy that rides chains till they break:)
"Dad, these pedals are terrifying!"

Offline KRUNNCHERO

• Frankenbike builder!
  • Forum Moderator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Smite master!
    • Raymond James Financial Services
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2009, 03:10:47 PM »
What I do not understand (I usually sit near the bike wash)...is why people wash their bikes endlessly... I mean I see them ride one trail - come back after 10 minutes - wash the bike. Go back out - wash it again. Sometimes they will just sit there and wash and wash and wash. I mean...is this some sort of beauty contest? Who has the cleanest bike in the lot (donít try the argument they put it in their car Ė I saw them put it on the RACK!) IMO - just ride the darn bike and save some water!

-- Assuming they put their bikes in the house - I do too. I never wash mine? Me = slob?
We continuously seek feedback from you as to how we can improve our policies and procedures since our primary goal is to act in partnership with you. If you have any questions or need to report any problems on the SWAMP forum, please send me a PM and I will get back with you ASAP.

Offline mmountainbiker

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Favorite Trail: Boyette
  • My Bike: 2012 Trek EX 9.7 OCLV Mountain XTR/XT- RLC-FIT/Evol re:aktiv factory
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2009, 03:37:48 PM »
Coming from a guy who cleans his bike religously, I never wash at the bike wash. I wail till I get home. But I dont blast it with even a spray nozzle. I think returning to clean your bike then returning to the trail is a little too much (unless mud is a problem).  But a clean bike allows you to see damage you wouldnt see when dirty. And who wants dirt sitting on your bike you just paid thousands for.   Its not a beauty contest but when my bike is parked next to a $6000 Xtr Ibis I dont feel so poor.

Offline HalfBreed

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • Wake, Smoke, Ride, Work, Sex, Sleep....Day by Day
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2009, 03:39:59 PM »
. Sometimes they will just sit there and wash and wash and wash. I mean...is this some sort of beauty contest? Who has the cleanest bike in the lot (donít try the argument they put it in their car Ė I saw them put it on the RACK!) IMO - just ride the darn bike and save some water!

Sounds like MM
Ill bunny hop you bitch!!!

Offline HalfBreed

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • Wake, Smoke, Ride, Work, Sex, Sleep....Day by Day
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2009, 03:41:45 PM »
Coming from a guy who cleans his bike religously, I never wash at the bike wash. I wail till I get home. But I dont blast it with even a spray nozzle. I think returning to clean your bike then returning to the trail is a little too much (unless mud is a problem).  But a clean bike allows you to see damage you wouldnt see when dirty. And who wants dirt sitting on your bike you just paid thousands for.   Its not a beauty contest but when my bike is parked next to a $6000 Xtr Ibis I dont feel so poor.

until you load that clean ass bike onto the hooptie :)
Ill bunny hop you bitch!!!

Offline mmountainbiker

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Favorite Trail: Boyette
  • My Bike: 2012 Trek EX 9.7 OCLV Mountain XTR/XT- RLC-FIT/Evol re:aktiv factory
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2009, 03:44:27 PM »

until you load that clean ass bike onto the hooptie :)
Well that another story on  people who's bikes cost more than thier cars

Offline Triple T

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • Balloon Knot Cycling
  • My Bike: Likes to pose in the parking lot.
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2009, 03:51:45 PM »
Well that another story on  people who's bikes cost more than thier cars

I resemble that remark.   ;D
Ibis Mojo SL-23.81 lbs.
Ibis Tranny-20.75 lbs.

Offline catman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: 2016 Scott Genius 740
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2009, 05:08:58 PM »
I have washed my bike with a hose for years with no problems.  I don't understand why this would be considered torture.  Now if we were talking about a pressure washer I might agree.

Ditto. Never had a BB or anything else fail due to water ingress. I avoid the sensitive areas for the most part but don't worry about it that much. If I had to pay someone to fix my bike I might be more cautious. If I had one bike to take care of and I planned on riding it into the gound without upgrading along the way I imagine I'd be much more careful. I should mention that I really don't like cleaning my bike so I try to get it over with asap. There are certainly some benefits to not hitting it with the water hose but life is short.

Oh yeah, some dudes have to put their bike in the back seat of the car or in a SUV, thus the excessive cleaning.
Part time mountain biker, full time roadie smiter.

Offline chisel

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2009, 05:15:02 PM »
if you boys have problems after getting some hose water on your pretty bikes i would suggest some better components. :-*   100's of hose sessions no problems... ;)

Advertisement: